O'Day: "I'd like to come back, for sure"

wildcard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pat Neshek got 2/12.5. Darren is better and younger than Neshek. I think Darren will want closer to 2/14 - 2/16. Unless he takes a discount to stay in Baltimore.

We'll never know what he wants until Duquette or his team do some negotiating. The Orioles need to find out where they are with these 11 players sooner, not later.

Pat Neshek got 2/12.5. Darren is better and younger than Neshek. I think Darren will want closer to 2/14 - 2/16. Unless he takes a discount to stay in Baltimore.

There aren't many relievers earning $7 mm+ who aren't closers. Here's a pretty good list of relievers salaries (it's not perfect; Miller is missing): http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/contracts/relief-pitcher/ I doubt O'Day would get that much, but he might.

We'll never know what he wants until Duquette or his team do some negotiating. The Orioles need to find out where they are with these 11 players sooner, not later.

Most, if not all will be gone. It's basically been decided at this point. There are no great extension candidates here (when you consider money and quality) A poor market for them later is probably the best chance to retain any of them. O'Day might very well be the best extension candidate but I don't see it happening.

Most, if not all will be gone. It's basically been decided at this point. There are no great extension candidates here (when you consider money and quality) A poor market for them later is probably the best chance to retain any of them. O'Day might very well be the best extension candidate but I don't see it happening.
I suppose that DD (or Angelos or both) believes that they can all be replaced with someone cheaper. My problem with DD is that he sometimes seems to think that players are replaceable machine parts. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't root for orange-and-black jerseys. I root for some of the players that are wearing those orange-and-black jerseys.

I'm not saying that the organization needs to keep all of these players. But it would be nice to keep at least a core.

I suppose that DD (or Angelos or both) believes that they can all be replaced with someone cheaper. My problem with DD is that he sometimes seems to think that players are replaceable machine parts. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't root for orange-and-black jerseys. I root for some of the players that are wearing those orange-and-black jerseys.

I'm not saying that the organization needs to keep all of these players. But it would be nice to keep at least a core.

I'd rather root for winning black and orange jerseys the a team full of decling, overpaid, familiar faces.

I'd rather root for winning black and orange jerseys the a team full of decling, overpaid, familiar faces.
I think that there is a mean between teams of all-new, cheap black-and-orange jerseys and teams of declining, overpaid, familiar faces. Of course there are changes that need to be made each year. But not changing most of the team each year. If most of the team is allowed to walk for replaceable machine parts, how can a team develop team chemistry and team cohesion?

I think that there is a mean between teams of all-new, cheap black-and-orange jerseys and teams of declining, overpaid, familiar faces. Of course there are changes that need to be made each year. But not changing most of the team each year. If most of the team is allowed to walk for replaceable machine parts, how can a team develop team chemistry and team cohesion?

They do keep some. Jones, Hardy, O'Day the first time.

They brought guys like Johnson and Nolan back as well.

Even Young was brought back.

Depends on how big the "core" is (or needs to be) I guess. Lower payroll teams need to be more dynamic and flexible. Like COC said, some guys have been brought back and others will be here for several more years. I think guys like Tillman and Machado are more realistic extension candidates (and both of those aren't near term concerns) at this point to focus on. Machado, not quite yet obviously. Certainly we are relying heavily on some of the young pitchers (Gausman, Bundy, Harvey and others) to perform well over the next few years and it will be major blow if they don't.

As for me, I'd rather have sound management, effective processes and good organizational and decision making systems over a cadre of players with some undefined feeling of "chemistry". Perhaps we need to do more work to have some of our players buy into our systems and processes better, but competing interests are always going to make that difficult. This issue is not unique to the Baltimore Orioles. I see no need to compromise what we're doing to placate some seemingly unhappy ballplayers.

I wish I could time warp back to 1970 and have a lot of things they way they were, but you have to adapt to change. Part of that change is there aren't many long tenured and/or career Baltimore Orioles players to grow attached to anymore. That's the case with most teams, even many of the higher spending ones. The players seem to be doing well by that. Us fans, not as much I guess.

I haven't seen any projections but my instincts tell me that O'Day is likely to regress over his age 33-34 seasons. I'd rather he regress somewhere else.

I am also of the mindset that relief pitchers should only stay in division for a few years to keep division rivals from getting too familiar with them.

I see the familiarity point, but I think O'Day's unusual delivery works in his favor to counteract this. To the extent bullpens benefit from a wide array of arsenals, he's an excellent tool to have in the box.

I wouldn't expect anything early because last Sept/Oct his body started letting him down. The club will want to see how he holds up in the sixth and hopefully seventh month of play this year before buying future seasons.

Archived