Roch Kubatko: Hunter Harvey's Book Report

weams

It was Hunter Harvey's turn to be assigned homework this spring. He's only 20 years old. He's not that far removed from school, so he seemed like the appropriate choice.

Manager Buck Showalter instructed Harvey to do a report on Hall of Famer Jim Palmer's book, "Jim Palmer's Way to Fitness," which was published in 1985. I'll let the former first-round pick explain the rest.

"Just a random thing, since I'm the youngest guy in camp," he said. "They started talking about the last person who was in high school and then he ended up giving me the book and saying, 'Do a report.'

"They just had me do like a little report and they wanted me to dress like him and stuff, so I went and bought some extra-small girl shorts that looked like a thong, pretty much. I wore those and presented it in that. It went pretty good."

I've heard that Harvey, listed last season at 6 foot 3 and 175 pounds, also wore sandels. That's it. Marinate in that image for a while.

"The book didn't have any of his stats," Harvey continued. "He was just telling you how to stretch and stuff like that, how to shave and all that. Everybody thought it was kind of a joke. That's kind of how the powerpoint went."

Yes, Harvey did a powerpoint presentation that brought down the house.

Word got back to Palmer, who was in Jupiter yesterday and sought out Harvey on the field during the pregame stretch.

"It was fun," Harvey said. "It was good. I demonstrated some stretches and stuff. They laughed pretty hard. It turned out pretty good."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/cleaning-out-my-notebook-12.html

Archived