Lowered Expectations

Shabadoo25

It seems like a lot of MLB teams have a hangover effect after a postseason run the following season. Take a look at the Giants--3 world championships every other year. In between, bubkis.

The Orioles made it to the Division Series in 2012 and then something was just off in 2013. One or two phases of the team were always struggling. When they got better, something else stopped working.

I am seeing that kind of season happening this year. We will be replacing two incredibly clutch starters with question marks. No one knows what we will get out of either Chris Davis or Matt Wieters, either.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like a lot of MLB teams have a hangover effect after a postseason run the following season. Take a look at the Giants--3 world championships every other year. In between, bubkis.

The Orioles made it to the Division Series in 2012 and then something was just off in 2013. One or two phases of the team were always struggling. When they got better, something else stopped working.

I am seeing that kind of season happening this year. We will be replacing two incredibly clutch starters with question marks. No one knows what we will get out of either Chris Davis or Matt Wieters, either.

Every team has question marks going into the season, which is why they play the game on the diamond.

You think Detroit doesn't have question marks about Miggy and is he healthy. Not to mention losing their Ace to the Nationals?

You think the Yankees have no question marks on their overaged roster and with A-Rod back, Jeter gone and wondering how their Ace will be.

Every team has question marks going into the season, which is why they play the game on the diamond.

You think Detroit doesn't have question marks about Miggy and is he healthy. Not to mention losing their Ace to the Nationals?

You think the Yankees have no question marks on their overaged roster and with A-Rod back, Jeter gone and wondering how their Ace will be.

Most certainly. And I believe the Os health relative to the rest of the division was a big factor last year.

I guess I'm just saying I won't be surprised if we struggle at various points this year.

Honestly, I think this season comes down to the pitching. Can it produce like it did a year ago?

We have a lot of solid though unspectacular arms that are propped up by excellent defense. That defense should still be there, they just need the arms.

Most certainly. And I believe the Os health relative to the rest of the division was a big factor last year.

I guess I'm just saying I won't be surprised if we struggle at various points this year.

They still lost two everyday position players, and two of their core guys:

Wieters - TJ surgery

Manny - Knee Surgery

There are exceptions. The Orioles are not a dynasty type of team as presently constructed. I definitely think they take a small step back but still have a good chance of retaining the division title.

Any team that even makes the playoffs needs luck. Whether its with not enduring injuries or getting the ball to bounce your way in close games hroughout the season.

I think it's easy to be a little doubtful of being able to repeat the same success as last year but at the sane time still being optimistic that it's possible.

I think not having Jeter back can only mean good things for the Yankees. :P

But yeah every team has question marks and most teams have more of them than the Orioles.

If the Orioles struggle to contend this season I think the most likely culprit will be a pitching staff that finally regresses to what the peripherals have been saying they should be for the past three seasons. I don't think it will be because of the downgrade from Cruz and Markakis, and I definitely don't think it will be because of an emotional hangover from last year's success.

That emotional hangover effect can be real maybe from game to game in the NFL or NCAA football/basketball, when one big game can routinely make or break a season.. but across multiple seasons, and in baseball where there are just so many games, I don't see that happening. If anything last year's success might make this year's team more confident.

I think not having Jeter back can only mean good things for the Yankees.

If I were Dan Duquette, I would try to talk Peter Angelos into paying Derek Jeter $15 Million to play in 2015 ...... for the Yankees.

I think our team is about as good as last year. The problem is that we overachieved last year, and also took advantage of a weak division that is going to look a lot different this year. Some regression, tougher competition. My expectation is pretty similar to where we were going in to last year, which is about 86 +/- 10 wins. I certainly don't "expect" us to be a WS contender this year, but I do see a pathway for us to get there. That pathway looks something like: pitching stays healthy and performs equal to last year (any regression by Bud or Miguel gets offset by full year of Gausman); defense maintains or even improves marginally without Nelson; Wieters and Davis offset the loss of Cruz and Markakis. Each of those things is realistic, but the odds of all three happening are probably less than 50%.

I think our team is about as good as last year. The problem is that we overachieved last year, and also took advantage of a weak division that is going to look a lot different this year. Some regression, tougher competition. My expectation is pretty similar to where we were going in to last year, which is about 86 +/- 10 wins.

86 +/- 10 wins is a pretty safe bet. That was 2/3 of MLB last year. I'm going with 80 +/- 10. That was 3/4.

It's all pitching. Even if we just pitch OK and stay healthy, we should be in the race come August. Who knows what'll happen after that. Maybe the Yankees will tank and we can trade for Andrew Miller again.

Archived