Must be some very good local high School players because..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should I post a poll in the Orioles baseball forum or shoul I wait until I hear back from Tony and then see what the interest would be?

Completely up to you. Maybe ask Tony if he'll do it pending you can get so much interest for it. I'm still fairly new here, so I'm not exactly sure how the staff would handle something like this.

When evaluating a prospect, it is important to consider the actual raw talent, and not just the numbers. He puts up great numbers, but simply put, a small right hander who throws in the 83-85 range is not a great pro prospect. He definitely is a great high school player, but he's not a great pro prospect.

Thanks, that is what I said Great H.S. player. I don't see him as pitcher but, rather as a position player.

I was talking to a talent evaluator and he that in this area Bernie is a big name coach. Outside of Maryland not many coaches or college coaches know who Bernie Walters is.

I am not trying to be rude but, you don't know what you are talking about. Bernie Walter was elected the ABCA (American Baseball Coaches Association) Hall of Fame in 2007. ABCA is the largest coaches association. There are less than a dozen H.S> coaches in that HoF. It is mostly college coaches. Bernie has been selected and coached the Jr. USA baseball team a few years back. He is one of the best known and well respected H.S. coaches in the nation.

Yea, Brady is a really good pitcher. But his stats are somewhat inflatted. He primarily pitches against weak competition, not always, but usually. For example, he has never faced my high school squad, and we were 18-4 last year, with a great offense. He did face a 1-19 team twice as well as a couple 5 wins teams. He did pitch fairly well against on local power house, Quince Orchard, but got smacked by another, Damascus. I think he is a bit overrated but nonetheless a great pitcher.

I guess I agree with your basic points. He did pitch against some weaker teams. But, he did beat Damascus in the play-offs and after the 4th inning he shut them down. Also, he did most of the damage with the bat. He pitched a 3 hitter for team Maryland in OK last year and was voted the MVP on Team Maryland and all tournament team. He also a pre-season UA all american.

I am not trying to be rude but' date=' you don't know what you are talking about. Bernie Walter was elected the ABCA (American Baseball Coaches Association) Hall of Fame in 2007. ABCA is the largest coaches association. There are less than a dozen H.S> coaches in that HoF. It is mostly college coaches. Bernie has been selected and coached the Jr. USA baseball team a few years back. He is one of the best known and well respected H.S. coaches in the nation.[/quote']

Thats not what I said, nor is it my opinion. That is what a local talent evaluator said to me.

Ok' date=' sorry. I should have said that the talent evaluator doesn't know what he is talking about. I really meant it, when I said, I wasn't trying to be rude.[/quote']

I understand. I think the point the talent evaluator was trying to say playing under Bernie Walters doesn't mean anything to college coaches. Sorry if my comment was rude.

A friend of mine just took over at McNamara in Forestville. He was a longtime assistant at DeMatha before, and was named Maryland's assistant coach of the year a few years back. He's starting to build things up there, but expect a senior he's got to explode in the WCAC this year. Ryan Harris, who will start in RF when he isn't pitching. He can hit high 80s to around 90 with his fastball. Runs a 6.7 60. Has good power too. He's been offered to Towson and had feelers with Maryland.

I just really don't like investing much in high school kids no matter how highly touted they come, anyone else feel this way?

Does that mean you would not have been interested in Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken, Jim Palmer, Alex Rod., Jeter, etc.? You take the best talent, otherwise you short-change yourself.

A question for you guys back in MD. I am from southern Maryland and played everything in HS and went on to play College FB. I have since moved on to FL. My focus was always Football growing up. I loved baseball and was a pretty darn good hitter, but was not the best 1b with the glove in the world. My HS coaches were idiots, i did not know that at the time but I see it now. I had great years pitching on the varsity ( which was the only team we had) in the 9th grad and half of my 10th grade season. After that my arm hurt all the time and never had a lick of control. Heck I could hardly throw well enough to play 1b but I could hit so they had to put me somewhere. But anyway on to the question. I was amazed by the HS baseball programs in FL. These are year round deals with excellent instruction going on. They have great facilities, meaning real stadiums, practice facilities and all of the schools have 9th grade and JV teams. The difference in facilities has been just eyeopening to me. I remember most of the fields we played on not having fences or maybe one which was really the fence around a tennis court or at the schools property line. The programs charge money to attend the games, even the JV and freshman games, which was never done when i played. Heck most of the schools didn't have enough seats to have 50 people sit on a bleacher back then. Most of the really top players are baseball players only. Meaning that they don't play Football. Spring football interferes with the baseball season and you have to be exceptional for either of the coaches to put up with it. I guess I am wondering if MD HS baseball has developed similarly or is it still just something to do in the spring?

I understand. I think the point the talent evaluator was trying to say playing under Bernie Walters doesn't mean anything to college coaches. Sorry if my comment was rude.

Well by playing baseball in the county, Bernie Walters does mean a lot of media hype and a lot of suspicious "transfers."

I guess I am wondering if MD HS baseball has developed similarly or is it still just something to do in the spring?

At least in Anne Arundel county, its still a spring only thing, running from March 1st to whenever you're out of the final tournament. The stadiums are generally crappy, and wouldn't even compare to a pro field. Some places are nice, but they're high school nice, not minor league nice.

Archived