Must be some very good local high School players because..

A question for you guys back in MD. I am from southern Maryland and played everything in HS and went on to play College FB. I have since moved on to FL. My focus was always Football growing up. I loved baseball and was a pretty darn good hitter, but was not the best 1b with the glove in the world. My HS coaches were idiots, i did not know that at the time but I see it now. I had great years pitching on the varsity ( which was the only team we had) in the 9th grad and half of my 10th grade season. After that my arm hurt all the time and never had a lick of control. Heck I could hardly throw well enough to play 1b but I could hit so they had to put me somewhere. But anyway on to the question. I was amazed by the HS baseball programs in FL. These are year round deals with excellent instruction going on. They have great facilities, meaning real stadiums, practice facilities and all of the schools have 9th grade and JV teams. The difference in facilities has been just eyeopening to me. I remember most of the fields we played on not having fences or maybe one which was really the fence around a tennis court or at the schools property line. The programs charge money to attend the games, even the JV and freshman games, which was never done when i played. Heck most of the schools didn't have enough seats to have 50 people sit on a bleacher back then. Most of the really top players are baseball players only. Meaning that they don't play Football. Spring football interferes with the baseball season and you have to be exceptional for either of the coaches to put up with it. I guess I am wondering if MD HS baseball has developed similarly or is it still just something to do in the spring?

If a kid is dedicated to baseball he can play it during the Fall, Spring and Summer. Most play in the Spring and Summer. The problem with Maryland H.S. Baseball is that teachers get preference when coaching job are filled. This limits the pool and talent. Also, in Maryland, coaches cannot have baseball related contact with their teams until March 1st. That means that they can only work with their players from March 1st until the end of their season which is mid-to-late May. Which means they can't do anything for 9 plus months out of 12.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand. I think the point the talent evaluator was trying to say playing under Bernie Walters doesn't mean anything to college coaches. Sorry if my comment was rude.

I am really not trying to pick a fight and I'll admit that "he doesn't mean anything to college coaches." could mean several different things. But, I still disagree with what he said. I went to the ABCA convention in Philly this past January and personally saw Bernie Walter talking casually with Mike Martin, Pat Casey, Pat Murphy, Pat McMohan, the guy from Vandebilt (I can't remember his name) and a couple of other guys I didn't know. They are the head coaches for Florida State, Arizona State, Former U. Florida (now Yankees MiL Manager), Vanderbilt, etc... Pretty impressive company.

This wasn't your point but, I wanted to share something else. I was at a H.S. all-star game at Camden Yards last year and Sam Perlozo (Sp?) walked up to Bernie and called him by name and said something to the effect "its' great to see you old friend how's the family."

Also, just fyi his last name is Walter, not Walters.

I think that if you are college coach who recruits in Maryland you'd had better know who Bernie is.

If a kid is dedicated to baseball he can play it during the Fall' date=' Spring and Summer. Most play in the Spring and Summer. The problem with Maryland H.S. Baseball is that teachers get preference when coaching job are filled. This limits the pool and talent. Also, in Maryland, coaches cannot have baseball related contact with their teams until March 1st. That means that they can only work with their players from March 1st until the end of their season which is mid-to-late May. Which means they can't do anything for 9 plus months out of 12.[/quote']

The way they get around the date restrictions around here is by having a "coaches clinic" for a couple of the Boosters, maybe a parent or some long standing friend of the program. They actually run the practices and games for the coach. The HS coach regular meets with the "off season coach". These things can't be mandatory, but the HS coaches respond by saying your kid making the team isn't mandatory either.

All this being said I don't know if the players are better around here, but they certainly are much more polished than I remember from my days. There is one public school in the area that has simply turn out an incredible number of ML players. By incredible I mean numbers that rival Most DI programs. All of the public schools try to recruit alittle which was not done much in MD in my day.

The way they get around the date restrictions around here is by having a "coaches clinic" for a couple of the Boosters, maybe a parent or some long standing friend of the program. They actually run the practices and games for the coach. The HS coach regular meets with the "off season coach". These things can't be mandatory, but the HS coaches respond by saying your kid making the team isn't mandatory either.

All this being said I don't know if the players are better around here, but they certainly are much more polished than I remember from my days. There is one public school in the area that has simply turn out an incredible number of ML players. By incredible I mean numbers that rival Most DI programs. All of the public schools try to recruit alittle which was not done much in MD in my day.

I know some of the private schools starts workouts( lifting, conditioning, and drills) once school starts.

If a kid is dedicated to baseball he can play it during the Fall' date=' Spring and Summer.[/b'] Most play in the Spring and Summer. The problem with Maryland H.S. Baseball is that teachers get preference when coaching job are filled. This limits the pool and talent. Also, in Maryland, coaches cannot have baseball related contact with their teams until March 1st. That means that they can only work with their players from March 1st until the end of their season which is mid-to-late May. Which means they can't do anything for 9 plus months out of 12.

Haha. I am a high school pitcher and i must say, it is not that easy. It cost money because in the fall/winter/early spring, you have to rent out an indoor facility, which costs a lot of money.

The same for some public schools. It depends on the coach. There are no restrictions on strenght and conditioning only baseball specific stuff.

Yea, my team conditions every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday since school started. Of course, we also hold involuntary practices, which are allowed as long as a coach is not present.

Former MSJ pitcher here (1990).

My junio year we had 10 guys on our team play college ball. At one point in time that year we were ranked 7th in the country, but lost to CH in the finals against Chris Holcombe who was a really good pitcher. If memory serves he was back to back player of the yearand went like 25-1 over his junior and senior year and went to Stanford.

When I was at St Joe, CH's best players were Konopacki (Sp?), Joe Hughes (my counterpart) and Weltlinger from what I remember.

Biggest regret of my life was not playing college ball. And stupid me had some chances to do so but I was set on going to WVU. Of course once I got there, I met the coach and hated him.

Always hated CH, but I gotta say, they are one of the top 5 high school programs in Md over the past 25 years or so. I imagine some of the other teams in that top 5 would be MSJ, Arundel, and maybe Old Mill).

on another note, I never had much respect for Bernie. Reason being for me is simple. We played Arundel in a scrimmage at their place and beat them something like 8-3 or 8-5 if memory serves.

Then later he told the AA county beat writer in an interview (Pat O'Malley I think is his name) that "we didn't keep score, but I am pretty sure we outscored them"

I just felt it was very dishonest of him and never had any respect for the guy after that.

Haha. I am a high school pitcher and i must say, it is not that easy. It cost money because in the fall/winter/early spring, you have to rent out an indoor facility, which costs a lot of money.

Haha. Please re-read my post. I said Fall, Spring and Summer. There are leagues that play (outside) during those season. I didn't say anything about winter and early spring. But, if you want to be picky. Spring doesn't start until the baseball season has started so, you really are outside during "early spring"

on another note, I never had much respect for Bernie. Reason being for me is simple. We played Arundel in a scrimmage at their place and beat them something like 8-3 or 8-5 if memory serves.

Then later he told the AA county beat writer in an interview (Pat O'Malley I think is his name) that "we didn't keep score, but I am pretty sure we outscored them"

I just felt it was very dishonest of him and never had any respect for the guy after that.

I don't have much respect for him either, I went to CH. Must be a private school thing. :P

I was wondering about baseball back home in MD too. I am from MD originally and I live out here in Indiana right now. we have year round baseball with indoor training and games during the winter that my 14 year old participates in 4 times a week from sept thru march. at the facility that my son trains in, they have a very high number of kids that go on to play high college and even further.

I know it is directly related to the dedication of playing and training year round with uber qualified coaching. Is there anything like this back home?

btw, I am all for a high school forum too.

I was wondering about baseball back home in MD too. I am from MD originally and I live out here in Indiana right now. we have year round baseball with indoor training and games during the winter that my 14 year old participates in 4 times a week from sept thru march. at the facility that my son trains in, they have a very high number of kids that go on to play high college and even further.

I know it is directly related to the dedication of playing and training year round with uber qualified coaching. Is there anything like this back home?

btw, I am all for a high school forum too.

This offseason my high school started training once school started with practice monday wednesday friday lifting and long toss on tuesday and thursday, and once winter came we moved practicing indoors wednesday friday and saturday with lifting on monday wednesday and friday.

Archived