Matusz has been dealing with high blood pressure

Frobby

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was having trouble telling what was a change up and what was a fastball, since his FB was topping out at 88.

ML hitters would have destroyed the slop he was throwing. If we can sucker some team into paying 1/2 his salary it would be a good deal.

I'm sorry you were struggling so. It was pretty easy to tell the difference for me. Maybe pitcher evaluation isn't your thing? :scratchchinhmm:

Some people just find fault with everything Matusz does or says. So far this spring: .208 BAA, 0.79 WHIP, 1.42 ERA, 0 BB, 8 K's in 6.1 IP. I do believe the O's are shopping him, which is why he got a start and apparently will get a second one, even though there's no chance he will be in our rotation. Fact is, he has done a nice job so far this spring.

I don't know what numbers they are using but from my experience borderline is high.
Quite a few years ago, my blood pressure tested border line (around 140/98). The doctor told me that they used to discount such borderline readings but not any longer. He put me on a diuretic and my blood pressure went down to normal. There is a history of stroke in my family so I was happy to go ahead and take the blood pressure medicine. If I go off of my meds, my BP goes high again. As long as I take my meds, my blood pressure stays normal.

Well I was having trouble telling what was a change up and what was a fastball, since his FB was topping out at 88.

ML hitters would have destroyed the slop he was throwing. If we can sucker some team into paying 1/2 his salary it would be a good deal.

Do you remember Jamie Moyer? He was an Oriole at one time. His fastball topped off at around 88. He went to the Red Sox (when DD was the GM). DD made one of the most one-sided trades in baseball history when he traded Moyer to Seattle for Darrell Bragg. I don't know what happpened to Bragg, but Moyer and his junk went on to became a 20+ winning All Star ace who finished 3rd in Cy Young voting.

Do you remember Jamie Moyer? He was an Oriole at one time. His fastball topped off at around 88. He went to the Red Sox (when DD was the GM). DD made one of the most one-sided trades in baseball history when he traded Moyer to Seattle for Darrell Bragg. I don't know what happpened to Bragg, but Moyer and his junk went on to became a 20+ winning All Star ace who finished 3rd in Cy Young voting.

Considering the fact that Jamie Moyer was a free agent to be when he was acquired at the 1996 trade dealine and he made a total of 11 starts for the Mariners under that contract, that deal is not quite the steal you believe it to be. Especially considering that DARREN Bragg was worth 6 WAR over the following two seasons before he reached free agency. It was a classic trade deadline deal where both teams got value. Hardly the greatest fleecing in baseball history.

Although Darren Bragg has since moved on to more foolish endeavors. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=oqcHVfuWEc3nsATj0YHICA&url=http://patch.com/connecticut/southbury/southbury-resident-and-former-mlb-player-darren-bragg-arrested-0&ved=0CG0QFjAP&usg=AFQjCNFu-GHLku9R2KqHca964kD0Ch-oJw&sig2=K05u-cJS6VqlFgWTr3EQJw

Quite a few years ago, my blood pressure tested border line (around 140/98). The doctor told me that they used to discount such borderline readings but not any longer. He put me on a diuretic and my blood pressure went down to normal. There is a history of stroke in my family so I was happy to go ahead and take the blood pressure medicine. If I go off of my meds, my BP goes high again. As long as I take my meds, my blood pressure stays normal.

Yeah, I had the same experience being told 140/90 was borderline for quite awhile. It not borderline, it's high. I only wish I had gone on medication earlier. I'd probably have two good eyes at this point.

Considering the fact that Jamie Moyer was a free agent to be when he was acquired at the 1996 trade dealine and he made a total of 11 starts for the Mariners under that contract, that deal is not quite the steal you believe it to be. Especially considering that DARREN Bragg was worth 6 WAR over the following two seasons before he reached free agency. It was a classic trade deadline deal where both teams got value. Hardly the greatest fleecing in baseball history.

Although Darren Bragg has since moved on to more foolish endeavors. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=oqcHVfuWEc3nsATj0YHICA&url=http://patch.com/connecticut/southbury/southbury-resident-and-former-mlb-player-darren-bragg-arrested-0&ved=0CG0QFjAP&usg=AFQjCNFu-GHLku9R2KqHca964kD0Ch-oJw&sig2=K05u-cJS6VqlFgWTr3EQJw

I was wondering what happened to Darren Bragg. If his WAR was so great, why was he out of baseball after only about 2-3 seasons?

Moyer made 11 starts for the Mariners the year he was traded (1994). He went 6-2 with a 3.31 ERA for Seattle, with Boston, he went 7-1 with a 4.50 ERA, half of that in the bullpen. Total W-L that year: 13-3, total ERA that year: 3.98. Total WHIP that year:1.388. Two years later, Moyer went 17-5 with ERA 3.86, WHIP 1.219. 5 years later, Moyer went 20-6 with 3.42 ERA and WHIP 1.102.

What was Bragg doing in 1994 with the Red Sox? 8 games, 21 PAs, OPS: .449. Bragg's playing time and OPS peaked in 1996, PA: 235, OPS: .827, and has gone down steadily ever since, playing part time with various clubs since 1998. By 2005, he was out of baseball.

My analysis stands: I would say that this trade was quite a bit one-sided.

Doug Fister does quite well with an 89 mph fastball. He just has to know how to pitch. Use the other pitches to setup the fastball.

I was wondering what happened to Darren Bragg. If his WAR was so great, why was he out of baseball after only about 2-3 seasons?

Moyer made 11 starts for the Mariners the year he was traded (1994). He went 6-2 with a 3.31 ERA for Seattle, with Boston, he went 7-1 with a 4.50 ERA, half of that in the bullpen. Total W-L that year: 13-3, total ERA that year: 3.98. Total WHIP that year:1.388. Two years later, Moyer went 17-5 with ERA 3.86, WHIP 1.219. 5 years later, Moyer went 20-6 with 3.42 ERA and WHIP 1.102.

What was Bragg doing in 1994 with the Red Sox? 8 games, 21 PAs, OPS: .449. Bragg's playing time and OPS peaked in 1996, PA: 235, OPS: .827, and has gone down steadily ever since, playing part time with various clubs since 1998. By 2005, he was out of baseball.

My analysis stands: I would say that this trade was quite a bit one-sided.

What Moyer did at any time after 1996 is irrelevant to the value of the trade as he was a free agent after 1996. He was very good over the 11 starts. The fact that he re-signed with the Mariners is immaterial to the trade. As for Bragg, he was blocked in CF in Seattle by a guy named Griffey. He was a valuable center fielder for two years with the Red Sox. Two years of above average center field at the minimum salary has a fair amount of value, certainly more than fair compensation for 11 starts by a 4.86 FIP pitcher.

Archived