For All Those Not Worried About Our Offense

brianod

In spring, we are 3-10. In those games, we have scored 2, 4, 3, 4, 6, 1, 0, 3, 2, 2, 3 and 2 runs

We can all be comforted by the fact that spring games are meaningless. Or can we?

Personally, I think paying players what they are worth works with a hard salary cap.

Letting guys walk and replacing them with spare parts may not work in an environment without a cap

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In spring, we are 3-10. In those games, we have scored 2, 4, 3, 4, 6, 1, 0, 3, 2, 2, 3 and 2 runs

We can all be comforted by the fact that spring games are meaningless. Or can we?

Personally, I think paying players what they are worth works with a hard salary cap.

Letting guys walk and replacing them with spare parts may not work in an environment without a cap

Well then, the Orioles will never be sustainably good. I hope you are wrong.

Well then, the Orioles will never be sustainably good. I hope you are wrong.

The Orioles can afford to spend more than they do. They do not have to continually bottom feed. They don't have to be in the position where their successful GM thinks Toronto is a better job.

We all have learned the lesson of the Yankees. That even teams with huge budgets that spend unwisely can be unsuccessful.

That doesn't mean that we can't compete for the occasional high priced free agent. That doesn't mean we can pay market prices for our own free agents. It doesn't mean that we can't overspend on one or two players to remain a viable competitor.

The Orioles can afford to spend more than they do. They do not have to continually bottom feed. They don't have to be in the position where their successful GM thinks Toronto is a better job.

We all have learned the lesson of the Yankees. That even teams with huge budgets that spend unwisely can be unsuccessful.

That doesn't mean that we can't compete for the occasional high priced free agent. That doesn't mean we can pay market prices for our own free agents. It doesn't mean that we can't overspend on one or two players to remain a viable competitor.

Did you see the link I posted a week or so ago saying that the O's payroll over the last five years is actually higher then expected given the attendance?

There are very few owners in North America that are willing to live anywhere near the break even point.

We're not 3-10 over the 2015 spring training season because we aren't paying guys what they are worth. We're 3-10 because the guys are flat coming off of the offseason.

Are you suggesting you're expecting a substantial drop off in Offensive performance this year? And if so, are you suggesting this based on their performance through 13 ST games or for some other reason?

The Orioles spent the most this year that the ever have. And likely ever will. For a while. Mr. Angelos sold half his market. It will be reflected.

Did you see the link I posted a week or so ago saying that the O's payroll over the last five years is actually higher then expected given the attendance?

There are very few owners in North America that are willing to live anywhere near the break even point.

There never will be either.

The Yankees are in a different world. Their payroll flexibility allows them to operate such that their poor contracts don't substantially weigh them down over the long term unlike say the Phillies ( a much closer comp to the O's). And even that could come to an end in the near future if they continue to put mediocre aging teams on the field.

As far as whether or not the Orioles can afford to expand payroll, I think that's a topic for another thread. My opinions are based off the assumption that all we can do is glean what the budget is and speculate why or why not it isn't higher.

So, yes, I'm throwing it out there. While DD was flirting with the BlueJays and we signed no-one of any significance, maybe, the organization messed up.

DD wants out. Buck won't stay to manage a non-contender. So, the signs are there that we need change if we don't want to spiral down into the abyss. I say get a new gm and give him more resources. Alternatively, give those resources to DD and talk him out of leaving

Yes, and they chose to make the decisions they did because they are better for the team, both financially and on the field. Glad you've finally come around.

Attendance is a red hearing and you should know that. Baseball teams make their money off of tv contracts, we aren't in 1920 anymore.

Archived