It's a pleasure to watch Dan and Buck work

wildcard

We know that the O's have 5 draft picks in the first 102 picks. One pick in each of the first three rounds, a compensation pick for Cruz and a competitive balance pick.

But it looks like Dan and Buck may add four more players to the farm by overstocking the 40 man roster.

1) Buck moving Matusz to a starter increases his trade value and could bring back a nice prospect.

2) Webb looks like he will also be offered to the highest bid this spring. His salary is low enough to net a prospect.

3) Verrett was the 2nd O's Rule 5 selection and yes he can be traded. The team that acquires him just has to keep on the 25 roster all year. The O's don't have room for him and he is pitching well enough that the O's may be able to get a prospect for him.

4) Paredes and Lough are in a competition for the 25th roster spot. Both are out for options. The loser probably gets DFA'd and when that happens the O's will try to trade him for a prospect.

Additionally the 2nd/UIF competition has an added young player that was picked up as a minor league free agent. Rey Navarro is currently hitting better than Schoop, Flaherty and Cabrera and Navarro is known for his glove. He has experience at 2B, SS and 3B. He looks like a good addition to the farm that might find his way to the majors in the near future. There is almost too much quality depth in the infield and one of these players could be traded. But all four players have options so there in no hurry to make a deal.

Catcher is also overstocked. Wieters, Joseph, Arencibia, Lavarnway and Ward. Just something else to watch.

We will see how this works out but the O's payroll probably decreases in the process. Currently at about 116M after the deferred money from Hardy and Jimenez salary is subtracted. They may subtract almost 6M more for Matusz and Webb. This will net Dan more money to spend during the season to help the O's win in 2015 and maybe 2016.

None of this happens by accident. Some of it may not happen because of injuries. But it's a pleasure to watch how Dan and Buck work a roster and supplement the organization with new prospects.

I think you are dreaming if you think a guy with HBP, a rule 5 pickup and a fifth string catcher are going to net us prospects. Thanks for a good laugh. I needed it after Terps loss today.:cool:

I'm not sure where you're getting the part about a 5th string catcher netting us a prospect.

As far as the other guys, no one said we're going to get Kris Bryant, but we should be able to get an ok prospect or two.

I think you are casting a wide net in your definition of "prospect". Matusz is looking like a nice surprise and a possible candidate to squeeze value out of a trade but Webb, Verrett, Paredes, Lough, and all catchers not named Matt Wieters won't get anything other than a Steve Lombardozzi type on a good day.

The best move the O's could make this spring would be to find a new home for Jimenez. But I doubt anyone is counting on that.

I think you are dreaming if you think a guy with HBP, a rule 5 pickup and a fifth string catcher are going to net us prospects. Thanks for a good laugh. I needed it after Terps loss today.:cool:

I think you are (somewhat willfully) missing the larger point. DD and Buck understand a complex system and aren't afraid to put in the effort to maximize whatever returns can be had by working it. Do you think that approach is misguided or a waste of time?

It doesn't need to be a top prospect. Just players to add to the farm system that could be of help later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived