Selection Sunday

LayzieDES

College sports blows. This is why Gary lost heart and retired. The cheaters like Pitino and Calapari are enabled and protected while great stories like Maryland get ignored and belittled.

I'm old enough to remember when Maryland got the death penalty for Bob Wade's screwups and Kentucky, who had major infractions worse than Md got a slap on the wrist. Duke getting a one seed at home in a weak bracket is shameful.

The bottom line is that to expect the NCAA to be fair is about the same as Charlie Brown expecting to kick the football. Never gonna happen. They are a bunch of crooked cheaters protection each other and we aren't true members.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MD and Perdue (their likely 2nd round opponent) could combine rosters and still not beat Kentucky but I admire your fandom. ;)

Don't forget that Ky was lucky to beat Ole Miss and Texas A&M. They're not invincible, but it will take a great performance. If Maryland can beat Wisconsin, they can beat Kentucky.

You guys got the ole "Joan Collins special" for sure, but I hate this nobody can beat Kentucky nonsense.

MD and Perdue (their likely 2nd round opponent) could combine rosters and still not beat Kentucky but I admire your fandom. ;)

I'm not looking past the Valpo game. Obviously, after Puke choked in the first round last year, they felt they had to do more to stack the deck for them.

Anyone can be beat. Georgetown lost to Villanova when they were by far the better team because Gerogetown played awful and Villanova played a perfect game. It can happen. From a talent standpoint, nobody is within a mile of Kentucky. If they play average or better, they won't get beat. There is more distance in talent between Kentucky and the next best team than I've seen in many, many years.

They're definitely the most talented, but what makes them so good is the depth and the way everyone has bought in on defense. They haven't been challenged much though, and those two close conference games are basically all they've had. How do they react in a close game against someone like Wisconsin?

I think Duke's first 5 are as talented, but they can't go as deep. I'd love to see Okafor go against Cauley-Stein in the post, but I'd hate to see them both in the title game.

I'll never understand why superstar college basketball players choose to spend their college years (year) in Kentucky. I've been to Kentucky one time and it's not a place that I ever plan on visiting again. I'll stop right there before I offend anyone who may be from Kentucky.

I'll never understand why superstar college basketball players choose to spend their college years (year) in Kentucky. I've been to Kentucky one time and it's not a place that I ever plan on visiting again. I'll stop right there before I offend anyone who may be from Kentucky.

Because that's where the best coaches are. Same as going to Kansas or Indiana. Why go to a school in Alabama for football? It's your best bet to be a pro.

That said, I do wonder why Hawaii can't recruit better.

Because that's where the best coaches are. Same as going to Kansas or Indiana. Why go to a school in Alabama for football? It's your best bet to be a pro.

That said, I do wonder why Hawaii can't recruit better.

If I were a Lebron James-esque talent who was a guaranteed top NBA draft pick after a year in college, I'd spend my college season in Hawaii.

Or go overseas for a year and make a couple million dollars.

Okay, I'm flabbergasted. But honestly, I'm not upset about it. Whatever.

Now... can Maryland hold court and make it to the second weekend against a loaded bracket. And if they can, what an opportunity, huh?!! I'd love to play Kentucky; I think we match up terribly against them. But what the hell!! I didn't see Maryland as a championship contender, but thought "Ehh, maybe." I mean I sure as hell didn't see UConn as a contender last year.

Okay, I'm flabbergasted. But honestly, I'm not upset about it. Whatever.

Now... can Maryland hold court and make it to the second weekend against a loaded bracket. And if they can, what an opportunity, huh?!! I'd love to play Kentucky; I think we match up terribly against them. But what the hell!! I didn't see Maryland as a championship contender, but thought "Ehh, maybe." I mean I sure as hell didn't see UConn as a contender last year.

"With great challenge, comes great opportunity".

Knocking off 36-0 Kentucky, when everyone is predicting them to finish 40-0, would be the 2nd greatest win in Maryland history, IMO.

I can't get over how epically loaded this bracket is. I had Notre Dame and Maryland as my top two #3-seeds with the Big-12 brigade of Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma as a #3, #3, and Top #4. So Maryland and Notre Dame are in the same bracket with each other and the team that won the conference over those other three.

And the #5 is WVU, who also played in the Big-12, has 15 games against Top 50 competition (7-8) and has no bad losses (RPI #53 LSU by 1 point is their worst loss and only out-of-conference loss).

The #7 seed Wichita St. was ranked #8 in the nation in the AP Poll and USA Today Coaches Poll JUST LAST WEEK !! That means 5 of the Top 12 ranked teams in the nation on March 2nd are in this bracket. And they aren't the Top 5 seeds in this bracket.

My attempt at embedding a tweet was a miserable failure. For future reference, how does one embed a tweet on here? I clicked embed tweet, copied it and pasted it.

That feature doesn't work for this forum like it does for the main Orioles forum.

Archived