Will Jimmy Paredes force his way onto this team?

mdbdotcom

I know you're joking, but I sure don't. Bynum, Fahey, Juan Castro, Luis Hernandez, Alex Cintron and Oscar Salazar all played SS in 2008. Everybody has his or her image that encapsulates the horror of the dark years. That's mine.
Chris Richard was our best hitter for a short time.

Your 2001 Opening Day lineup (with age)!

1) RF Brady Anderson (37)

2) SS Mike Bordick (35)

3) LF Delino DeShields (32)

4) 1B David Segui (34)

5) DH Chris Richard (27)

6) 3B Cal Ripken Jr (40)

7) CF Melvin Mora (29)

8) C Brook Fordyce (31)

9) 2B Jerry Hairston Jr (25)

Team OPS+: 88

Richard did well that year but our best hitter was Jeff Conine. Pretty intimidating huh?

As far as my image goes, it would be Marty Cordova in a tanning bed.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If JJ were to go down for six weeks, the Orioles would definitely prevent more runs by playing their best fielder at a less valuable position?

How is he their best fielder at a more valuable position? Isn't that why we tried Everth this year? It is obvious that Manny's loss is felt when he is not at third. Just as J.J. 's would be at short. The idea is not to subtract to cover an injury. But to replace with ~85% and carry on.

Paredes is having a nice spring. It's between him and Lough.

Lots of players with limited skills have good springs. I don't see a place for Paredes, since his main skill seems to be he's athletic. But he really can't hit, and really has no plus defensive position. I'm not entirely sure he's average defensively anywhere. Earl would never, ever keep a player who looks like he should be a ballplayer over someone who has some niche ability and some flaws like Lough. With Lough you can do positive things - he has some skills that are better than others on the team. You can platoon him, you can use him to pinch run or play defense. Why would you put Paredes in the game unless someone was hurt/tired/ejected/etc?

Paredes is starting at 3rd today again. Cabrera is in CF. Buck has indicted he is going to keep a position player for the first game instead of a pitcher for Chris Davis' spot. Maybe they will keep Paredes for that first game and then DFA him after and try to trade him. We haven't seen him play 2nd yet I don't think and that is where any UI on this team would play the most. He keeps playing 3rd so there is zero evidence he would be making the team as the UI, it would have to be in a scenario where he makes it with one of Flaherty/Cabrera.

I haven't been on the site for a few days, and I was just about to sign on and create a similar thread about Paredes before I noticed this one.

Buck has had some favorable things to say about him this spring, and he's been one of the few offensive bright spots on an otherwise anemic looking offense.

I was going to say that he has a shot to make the team if both Cabrera and Flaherty get sent to the minors, but as has already been pointed out, management may not feel comfortable with him being the only other SS (behind Hardy) on the roster.

Even so, Spring Training stats are meaningful to a guy like Paredes who is fighting for an outside shot to make the team. And, he's doing nearly everything right so far.

Why?

Young is actually here because he was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just throwing it out there. It's process of elimination. We want to keep Lough for OF defense. We want Flaherty or Cabrera for infield defense. Paredes has less power than Delmon but offers the ability to play in the field and he is a switch hitter. If we don't make room for Paredes, we lose him. What is more valuable, one year of Delmon or five years of Paredes? OK, I said I was just throwing it out there, but now I am kinda sorta advocating this.

I haven't been on the site for a few days, and I was just about to sign on and create a similar thread about Paredes before I noticed this one.

Buck has had some favorable things to say about him this spring, and he's been one of the few offensive bright spots on an otherwise anemic looking offense.

I was going to say that he has a shot to make the team if both Cabrera and Flaherty get sent to the minors, but as has already been pointed out, management may not feel comfortable with him being the only other SS (behind Hardy) on the roster.

Even so, Spring Training stats are meaningful to a guy like Paredes who is fighting for an outside shot to make the team. And, he's doing nearly everything right so far.

I sincerely doubt Flaherty is going to the minors, he is the incumbent utility guy.

Buck has said, it's mandatory that your utility infielder on the bench, be able to come in and play quality defense at SS.

Paredes is starting at 3rd today again. Cabrera is in CF. Buck has indicted he is going to keep a position player for the first game instead of a pitcher for Chris Davis' spot. Maybe they will keep Paredes for that first game and then DFA him after and try to trade him. We haven't seen him play 2nd yet I don't think and that is where any UI on this team would play the most. He keeps playing 3rd so there is zero evidence he would be making the team as the UI, it would have to be in a scenario where he makes it with one of Flaherty/Cabrera.

If they would keep Paredes for the first game, it is more likely they would try to DFA him and pass him through waivers. They could keep anybody for that first game.

Just throwing it out there. It's process of elimination. We want to keep Lough for OF defense. We want Flaherty or Cabrera for infield defense. Paredes has less power than Delmon but offers the ability to play in the field and he is a switch hitter. If we don't make room for Paredes, we lose him. What is more valuable, one year of Delmon or five years of Paredes? OK, I said I was just throwing it out there, but now I am kinda sorta advocating this.

I agree with most of this. But to answer your question, Young played a decent part in the teams success last year and hopefully will this year. Paredes is still an unknown and we aren't sure if he will help the team or not.

How is he their best fielder at a more valuable position? Isn't that why we tried Everth this year? It is obvious that Manny's loss is felt when he is not at third. Just as J.J. 's would be at short. The idea is not to subtract to cover an injury. But to replace with ~85% and carry on.

Manny is the Orioles' best fielder overall. Certainly we agree that Shortstop is a more valuable defensive position -- especially when it comes to run prevention.

But I agree: Everth was brought in to backup JJ.

And I have been vocal with my friends over the past two years that JJ stays at SS. JJ is the best fielding SS I have seen play for the Orioles, over Belanger, Ripken, Bordick (did not see Aparicio so I can't judge him). But if JJ and Everth are injured at the same time and your goal is to prevent runs, Manny at shortstop is by far your best option within the organization

Some folks also enjoy constructing a fantasy baseball lineup. Using bats at places in the field that they qualify for. Instead of making a team that will prevent runs. Like in reality.

While some may be looking at this through a roto perspective, I do not and I am willing to guess that the overwhelming majority of people on OH do not. This isn't about a leftfielder who played an inning of secondbase during a pitching double switch. Manny is perfectly well suited to play shortstop. Let's not forget he was a shortstop through the minors. I can't believe that anyone would say Manny is would be playing out-of-position at shortstop, like some fantasy machination or exploitation.

I really hope not. It's probably between him and Lough and Lough is easily the more valuable player. Paredes may put up a decent empty batting average but that's it. He's a low OBP, low power hitter with no defensive skills. In other words, he's not good.

Archived