Will Jimmy Paredes force his way onto this team?

mdbdotcom

I really hope not. It's probably between him and Lough and Lough is easily the more valuable player. Paredes may put up a decent empty batting average but that's it. He's a low OBP, low power hitter with no defensive skills. In other words, he's not good.

Paredes: 3 years younger, can play infield, better basestealer in minors. I understand you like Lough but I don't think "easily the more valuable player" is accurate. Or provable -- unless we are going to be dogmatic that WAR is the only relevant factor in determining the construction of a roster.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paredes: 3 years younger, can play infield, better basestealer in minors. I understand you like Lough but I don't think "easily the more valuable player" is accurate. Or provable -- unless we are going to be dogmatic that WAR is the only relevant factor in determining the construction of a roster.

Parades can't play anywhere, and can't really hit either. Lough is close to league average offensively, a plus on the bases, and plays elite level defense in the outfield. I'd wager quite a bit that Parades never eclipses 2 wins.

Paredes just can't seem to make that throw from 3B with any consistency. I feel like his range and glove is good enough over there, but I question the arm accuracy. Seems like he never quite gets the rhythm like Flaherty does.

I think it boils down to defense, although the way the offense looks they could take a guy North that has a little better bat.

I don't think he's Wilson Getamit bad.

Don't see them competing for the same spot. I'd consider Paredes over Delmon at this point though.

They're not competing for the same spot, either. Young is the DH against left-handed pitchers, a role that Paredes would be ill-equipped for (considering his career .431 OPS against lefties).

They're not competing for the same spot, either. Young is the DH against left-handed pitchers, a role that Paredes would be ill-equipped for (considering his career .431 OPS against lefties).

Isn't Pearce the DH against LHP? Delmon starts at DH only if CD sits against lefties, and (thinking optimistically here) I don't see that happening unless he struggles as badly as last year. I see Delmon as a bench bat--maybe *occasional* starter against LHP.

I don't see what role he is qualified for. A hot spring training doesn't change his resume. He's been a bad hitter in the majors so far and his minor league resume isn't impressive either. He's a low OBP hacker with little power and no defensive value. A few good spring at bats doesn't change that.

Jake Fox turned out to be great too, didn't he?

Isn't Pearce the DH against LHP? Delmon starts at DH only if CD sits against lefties, and (thinking optimistically here) I don't see that happening unless he struggles as badly as last year. I see Delmon as a bench bat--maybe *occasional* starter against LHP.

I think Pearce is probably starting in the outfield most days right now, especially against LHP.

I don't see what role he is qualified for. A hot spring training doesn't change his resume. He's been a bad hitter in the majors so far and his minor league resume isn\t impressive either. He's a low OBP hacker with little power and no defensive value. A few good spring at bats doesn't change that.

Jake Fox turned out to be great too, didn't he?

Actually Fox hit reasonably well that year. Buck just didn't like his defense and game calling. Flipped out on him after an Arrieta meltdown.

Paredes is very interesting. He not only put up good offensive numbers in his short major league stint last year, he looked like a hitter. He seems to be backing it up this spring. Yet, there's nothing in his prior professional career that suggests his performance last year was anything but a fluke.

Could we be looking at Melvin Mora 2.0 here? Melvin had a .734 OPS as a minor leaguer and never reached the majors until he was 27 years old.

Paredes is very interesting. He not only put up good offensive numbers in his short major league stint last year, he looked like a hitter. He seems to be backing it up this spring. Yet, there's nothing in his prior professional career that suggests his performance last year was anything but a fluke.

Could we be looking at Melvin Mora 2.0 here? Melvin had a .734 OPS as a minor leaguer and never reached the majors until he was 27 years old.

And even in that flukey sample, he was replacement level. Melvin Mora knew how to take a walk, and could play defense without embarrassing himself. These are skills Paredes lacks.

I know Flaherty is a favorite of many here and BS, but what role does he play if there are no injured infielders? He won't go in for any of the starting infielders for defense. He will give Hardy a rest now and then. He is not a pinch hitter and he has options. I think Paredes stays, Flaherty goes down and plays everyday and is an immediate call up if an infielder goes down. Flaherty's bat is nothing special and let him do his 0-20 season start elsewhere.

And even in that flukey sample, he was replacement level. Melvin Mora knew how to take a walk, and could play defense without embarrassing himself. These are skills Paredes lacks.

If Paredes is as bad as you think, you have to wonder why he is even in camp. Maybe SS is not sufficient to reflect his skill level. Have to agree with Frobby that he has looked good at the plate as an O. And I don't mean his numbers, I mean he looks like he knows what he is doing.

Archived