Will Jimmy Paredes force his way onto this team?

mdbdotcom

Agree with this - if Cabrera shows enough in the OF - they could get rid of Lough and Parades could be getting DH ABs with Cabrera the 4th OF and part-time 2B.

That's what I have been thinking -- Everth and Paredes, yes. Flaherty and Lough, no.

At least game 2. I offered about three weeks ago that Lough could be dfa'd when Davis returns, trying to pass him through when teams have rosters set. Someone else proposed a week or so ago that Paredes would get the dfa after game one to try to keep him in the organization. We shall see which one they'll try to pass under the radar. One of them is getting dfa'd when Davis returns from suspension.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I have been thinking -- Everth and Paredes, yes. Flaherty and Lough, no.

At least game 2. I offered about three weeks ago that Lough could be dfa'd when Davis returns, trying to pass him through when teams have rosters set. Someone else proposed a week or so ago that Paredes would get the dfa after game one to try to keep him in the organization. We shall see which one they'll try to pass under the radar. One of them is getting dfa'd when Davis returns from suspension.

Good thoughts here.

I know everyone thinks Lough is a future HOFer and all, but at some point, you gotta hit. What is he looking like so far this spring?

I think he may clear waivers if they do as you suggest.

They consider a players performance static, based on what they did in their past. So, we get posts like, he can't get on base, he has no power, he is below replacement level based on WAR. You could have said the same things about Pearce 3 years ago. We can't lose him, imo. Find a spot.

"And we know he'll swing the bat." Got to wonder what Buck is smoking, doesn't he know the overwhelming evidence of Paredes' 461 ML PA demonstrates he can't hit, especially from the left side as his 109 PA attest? Doesn't Buck understand the numbers? Maybe he's just trying to scare Schoop or Flaherty?

Good thoughts here.

I know everyone thinks Lough is a future HOFer and all, but at some point, you gotta hit. What is he looking like so far this spring?

I think he may clear waivers if they do as you suggest.

In case you forgot, Lough did hit last year, after the all star break and for the rest of the season, and he got rid of his concussion effects.

In case you forgot, Lough did hit last year, after the all star break and for the rest of the season, and he got rid of his concussion effects.

If we are willing to judge David Lough based on his second half numbers, then it's only fair we do the same with Paredes: .302/.327/.491/.818. While we are cherry-picking, 2014 Paredes vs. Lefty: .400/.400/.7000/1.100 in 10 PAs. 2014 Lough vs. Lefty: .100/.100/.150/.250 in 21 PAs. Pretty measly sample sizes there, but if we're willing to judge Lough on his final 64PAs of last year, disregarding his first 133 PAs, then we certainly have no issue with the small sample sizes vs. Lefties.

As for Lough's concussion, when was this made public? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it seems like a convenient excuse for performing poorly. Assuming it's the truth, he needed to have been DL'd the first few months. Either Buck and DD did a terrible job managing that player or Lough was hiding something. Giving a freshly concussed player 63 April PAs is not in the best interest of the team, nor does it show the proper level of concern for the player's health.

If the determination is based on who hits lefties better, then Paredes likely gets the job.

If we are willing to judge David Lough based on his second half numbers, then it's only fair we do the same with Paredes: .302/.327/.491/.818. While we are cherry-picking, 2014 Paredes vs. Lefty: .400/.400/.7000/1.100 in 10 PAs. 2014 Lough vs. Lefty: .100/.100/.150/.250 in 21 PAs. Pretty measly sample sizes there, but if we're willing to judge Lough on his final 64PAs of last year, disregarding hi first 133 PAs, then we certainly have no issue with the small sample sizes vs. Lefties.

As for Lough's concussion, when was this made public? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it seems like a convenient excuse for performing poorly. Assuming it's the truth, he needed to have been DL'd the first few months. Either Buck and DD did a terrible job managing that player or Lough was hiding something. Giving a freshly concussed player 63 April PAs is not in the best interest of the team, nor does it show the proper level of concern for the player's health.

If the determination is based on who hits lefties better, then Paredes likely gets the job.

Fair enough.

But, keep in mind Buck values defense and the 4th OF has to be versatile and able to backup Center.

How well does Paredes play with the glove on his hand?

I know everyone thinks Lough is a future HOFer and all, but at some point, you gotta hit.

Lots of folks do not think that Lough is a future HOF. I guess you were being funny. Yes, this is a big test for Lough as an Oriole. He would be claimed if offered. His skills appear to be major league.

Buck is going to have some tough decisions with the last couple of roster spots.

Paredes couldn't be the only utility infielder on the club. He's improved defensively, but not to the point where he'd be a suitable replacement at any position. Ryan Flaherty is better. Everth Cabrera is better, and he started in center field yesterday.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/wieters-behind-the-plate-alvarez-on-the-radar-paredes-on-a-roll.html

That's a pretty negative comment from Roch. Is Buck really going to carry a guy who is not "a suitable replacement at any position?" Really, two of them, if you put Delmon Young in that category? That doesn't sound like Buck to me.

Buck is going to have some tough decisions with the last couple of roster spots.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/wieters-behind-the-plate-alvarez-on-the-radar-paredes-on-a-roll.html

That's a pretty negative comment from Roch. Is Buck really going to carry a guy who is not "a suitable replacement at any position?" Really, two of them, if you put Delmon Young in that category? That doesn't sound like Buck to me.

If his defense is improved, he may be the Machado replacement that we have not had. If Manny is healthy, that is a precarious place to be.

Yeah. That doesn't sound very Buck-like. Although not many thought that Buck would take both Pearce and Delmon last year.

The interesting thing about this year is that we have that extra spot for the first game this year and can maybe sneak someone through waivers very early in the season.

He could, if Paredes doesn't need to be used for more than a game at a time. Bobby Dickerson could continue to help him improve defensively.

If they decide that Cabrera can do a passable job in CF for one game now and then (to give AJ one of his rare days off), then he would be the guy to cover a position should Schoop or Hardy be out on a day to day basis. That would make Lough expendable.

Lough may have a lot of potential, but the Orioles may not be the team that can make the best use of it. Buck doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence in him.

"And we know he'll swing the bat." Got to wonder what Buck is smoking, doesn't he know the overwhelming evidence of Paredes' 461 ML PA demonstrates he can't hit, especially from the left side as his 109 PA attest? Doesn't Buck understand the numbers? Maybe he's just trying to scare Schoop or Flaherty?

I think you meant 109 PAs vs. Lefties, as an RHB. Not ''from the left side.''

Archived