Man accused of punch at Orioles game accepts plea deal

Going Underground

Don't know if anyone remembers this case but I guess it has come to a conclusion.

A 23-year-old Edgewater man accused of seriously injuring another man by punching him at a 2013 Orioles game accepted a plea offer Friday and received 10 days in jail, his defense attorney and prosecutors confirmed.

Gregory Fleischman entered an Alford plea to first-degree assault, and accepted Circuit Court Judge Timothy Doory's offer of 10 years in prison with all but 10 days suspended, according to his attorney Kurt Nachtman.

He was also ordered to pay $250 a month for the next five years to victim Matthew Fortese, a Hagerstown man who suffered a fractured skull and brain trauma when he was punched and fell backward.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-orioles-fan-plea-20150316-story.html

Don't know if anyone remembers this case but I guess it has come to a conclusion.

A 23-year-old Edgewater man accused of seriously injuring another man by punching him at a 2013 Orioles game accepted a plea offer Friday and received 10 days in jail, his defense attorney and prosecutors confirmed.

Gregory Fleischman entered an Alford plea to first-degree assault, and accepted Circuit Court Judge Timothy Doory's offer of 10 years in prison with all but 10 days suspended, according to his attorney Kurt Nachtman.

He was also ordered to pay $250 a month for the next five years to victim Matthew Fortese, a Hagerstown man who suffered a fractured skull and brain trauma when he was punched and fell backward.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-orioles-fan-plea-20150316-story.html

Yeah I remember that, the Yankees fan. I was upset to hear that it happened and then shocked to find out that Fleischman too was a Yankees fan. I think that sort of went under the radar.

Either way, SeaBird is right, 10 days is an absolute joke.

What a BS sentence. He cracks the guy's skull open and gives him brain trauma and gets off with a $15,000 fine? He needs prison. All 10 years worth.

I don't know about 10 years worth, but 10 days seems awfully light. I can't access the article, but a lot of factors go into sentencing. Did he have any prior criminal record? Does he have a history of violence?

I don't know about 10 years worth, but 10 days seems awfully light. I can't access the article, but a lot of factors go into sentencing. Did he have any prior criminal record? Does he have a history of violence?

10 days is an absolute embarrassment. Could have been worse, I've seen slam dunk felonies get no billed.

He got off easy! Wow! I'd be following that up with a civil suit.

Well, fortunately some violence in sports is being dealt with the right way.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/man-who-punched-and-killed-soccer-ref-sentenced-to-8-15-1691469464

I would imagine there are some considerable medical expenses as well as pain and suffering now that he has admitted responsibility. Don't think he will be getting of so easy in the wallet.

First time offense apparently with some well paid lawyers. A civil suit is in the works I believe.

I think the guy that was injured had pulled himself up on the railing to the terrace box seats in order to yell at the two guys, who were sitting in the first row. So it wasn't that the two guys did anything all that violent, it's more that the injured guy had a long way to fall. That's the only thing I can think of for so light of a sentence.

What are the odds that this guy can go 10 years without ending up in trouble again? Those 10 years will look awful long next time he screws up.

Sounds like he's on probation for five years, so if he stays out of trouble that long, he can't be sent to jail for the 10 year term.

Also, there's this:

Court records show a lawsuit filed by Fortese against Fleischman and Bell was dismissed in December. An attorney who represented Fortese in that case declined to comment on the circumstances of the dismissal.

That strongly suggests the civil case was settled out of court and the two sides agreed that the terms of the settlement would be kept confidential.

If they sent every first time offender for a crime like this away for 10 years prisons would be even more crowded than they already are.

Well these guys were dancing around to music as this guy lie there bleeding out. They should have gotten a little taste of what it's like to be behind bars.

Archived