Wieters Shut Down For a Few Days (Elbow Tendonitis)

SticksandStones

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wieters will be shut down catching for a week. Tendinitis. Team said its normal part of rehab process</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:drek:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wieters will be shut down catching for a week. Tendinitis. Team said its normal part of rehab process</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:drek:

It's times like this that I wish cursing were allowed on the Hangout.

I hate this team sometimes. If it's a normal part of the process, why wasn't it even speculated on before it happened?

Right. They say this is "normal" as part of the rehab process, I guarantee you that tone changes come Mid April when he is shut down even further. Sucks.

in getting Wieters back

if it was a pitcher 12 months would be aggressive, so I'm not sure why it's much different with a catcher. I think the target should be end of June

From the teams perspective, we won 96 games without Wieters and the pitching staff had the lowest ERA in decades with Joseph and his above average pitch framing.

From the Boras/Wieters camp I can see the urgency to return seeing this is his walk year but he will inevitably be judged by how he finishes the season

I think the team and Wieters should be less aggressive with his expected return.

Here are some facts:

The average pitcher returns to game action 12-16 months following surgery but that time varies greatly by individual. In a recent study by Erickson et al., Major League pitchers returned in as little as 11 months and as many as 30 months. The player's return also depends on when the surgery is performed in the context of the baseball season as well as the severity of the injury. Players, parents and coaches should remember that each injury is unique and has its own timeline for recovery.

http://m.mlb.com/pitchsmart/tommy-john-faq/

Archived