Wieters Shut Down For a Few Days (Elbow Tendonitis)

SticksandStones

I'm not an MLB Gold Glove catcher (I know...SURPRISE!), but when I had TJ surgery my physical therapist mentioned that tendonitis can develop during rehab. It seems pretty late in the game to me for it to be happening for Wieters, though.

Well you get it in most cases from overuse. Since it is probably the new tendon it could happen.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, how much do folks think this hurts the O's. If Wieters misses 3 months how many less wins would you project.

I really don't see it hurting the O's at all, I think the pitching staff is better with Joseph and his pitch framing than Wieters, especially early on as he builds up arm strength although I doubt given his age and the TJ that he ever throws like he did in his prime.

And some of you guys were banking on Weiters to replace some of the power numbers that we lost when we let Cruz go. Here we go.

It's going to be a long year for this offense I'm afraid. I just don't see the power in the lineup. What few guys we have that can hit will probably get pitched around.

And some of you guys were banking on Weiters to replace some of the power numbers that we lost when we let Cruz go. Here we go.

It's going to be a long year for this offense I'm afraid. I just don't see the power in the lineup. What few guys we have that can hit will probably get pitched around.

Personally, I never counted on Wieters, he was the unknown, if he was back and healthy, that can only be gravy.

I think lots of people was hoping the combination of a healthy Davis and Manny would make up for Cruz.

I think there is plenty of power in the lineup with Davis, Pearce, Jones & Manny

We need some help with OBP.

I don't think DD was counting much on Wieters which is why we had 6 catchers on the 40 man

The question now is whether Lavarnway/Clevenger are good enough to back up Joseph

Of course this is a set back. It makes it hard for him to be ready for opening day. I had him starting 2 weeks late. It could be longer. Arencibia, Clevenger and Lavarnway have a chance to make the team now.

I have a lot of faith in Joseph. I think the O's will be fine. As far as the homers go, Wieters is a small part of that. If he hit 9 this year instead of 17 it will not matter that much. Whoever is the back up could is 4 or 5.

I think there is plenty of power in the lineup with Davis, Pearce, Jones & Manny

I don't think DD was counting much on Wieters which is why we had 6 catchers on the 40 man

The question now is whether Lavarnway/Clevenger are good enough to back up Joseph

I have big question marks about Clevenger being able to back up Joseph.

Would OBP a make a big difference with the way this team is constructed?

I hate this team sometimes. If it's a normal part of the process, why wasn't it even speculated on before it happened?

Didn't Matt say something not too long ago about having good days and bad days? I don't think it is much more then that. I certainly wouldn't speculate that there was anything structurally wrong.

Personally, I never counted on Wieters, he was the unknown, if he was back and healthy, that can only be gravy.

I think lots of people was hoping the combination of a healthy Davis and Manny would make up for Cruz.

The only thing that would have made up for Cruz would have been signing a 35-homer leftfielder. It's some kind of nonsense when they say we'll make up for the loss of power with production from two or three other position players. Maybe the Orioles wanted to take a different direction with De Aza -- and now Everth.

And counting on Wieters to step in and hit 20+ homers was ridiculous. I started a thread/quiz about MLB catchers who came back after TJ. Only Todd Hundley had any success from an offensive standpoint.

Wieters, had he been healthy, would have helped the team last year and this, despite the overemphasis by some on pitch framing. Imagining the entirety of Wieters' defensive prowess is negated by pitchframing is myopic, to put it mildly. I have thought for some time he would start the season on the DL. This is a big blow.

Archived