Wieters Shut Down For a Few Days (Elbow Tendonitis)

SticksandStones

The only thing that would have made up for Cruz would have been signing a 35-homer leftfielder. It's some kind of nonsense when they say we'll make up for the loss of power with production from two or three other position players. Maybe the Orioles wanted to take a different direction with De Aza -- and now Everth.

And counting on Wieters to step in and hit 20+ homers was ridiculous. I started a thread/quiz about MLB catchers who came back after TJ. Only Todd Hundley had any success from an offensive standpoint.

Wieters, had he been healthy, would have helped the team last year and this, despite the overemphasis by some on pitch framing. Imagining the entirety of Wieters' defensive prowess is negated by pitchframing is myopic, to put it mildly. I have thought for some time he would start the season on the DL. This is a big blow.

How many starting catchers actually have had TJ?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree.

I'm no Major Leaguer, but I've had a sore arm for 20 years now, and am still able to play.

Hugh Fullerton: "Yesterday, the odds were 4 to 1 for the White Sox. I went to put some money down on them today, and now it's even money."

Ring Lardner: "Do you think Cicotte has a sore arm?"

Hugh Fullerton: "Eddie's had a sore arm for 10 years. Something's up."

How many starting catchers actually have had TJ?

John (David) Baker

Steve Christmas

Chris Coste

Todd Hundley

Vance Wilson

They complete the list of MLB Catchers who had TJ, along with Wieters (though Coste and Wilson never returned to MLB).

A few MLB players, like Taylor Teagarden, had TJ in the minors

John (David) Baker

Steve Christmas

Chris Coste

Todd Hundley

Vance Wilson

They complete the list of MLB Catchers who had TJ, along with Wieters (though Coste and Wilson never returned to MLB).

A few MLB players, like Taylor Teagarden, had TJ in the minors

Of those on that list, beside Todd was a solid everyday starting catcher?

A big blow, or a sore arm from having caught three days in a row.

Sure could be just that. I'd like to know the percentage of players who don't have a little tendinitis when they start playing again. The Orioles, of course, should be a bit extra careful when a player returning from TJ has tendinitis.

Sure could be just that. I'd like to know the percentage of players who don't have a little tendinitis when they start playing again. The Orioles, of course, should be a bit extra careful when a player returning from TJ has tendinitis.

Pitchers can get tendinitis and recover with rest and be fine.

I also believe catchers get it too, with all the throwing they do.

I agree, they are just being cautious and some have taken the extreme and this is automatically bad news.

Of those on that list, beside Todd was a solid everyday starting catcher?

He came back to play nearly full-time for a catcher (games played: 114, 90, 79, 92). Had some pop the first two of those years. The second of those two his SLG was back around its heights. Take a look for yourself to see the decline. Not even the best supplements of the time could restore him. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hundlto01.shtml

He came back to play nearly full-time for a catcher (games played: 114, 90, 79, 92). Had some pop the first two of those years. The second of those two his SLG was back around its heights. Take a look for yourself to see the decline. Not even the best supplements of the time could restore him. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hundlto01.shtml

My point, we only have one previous everyday starting catcher to have gone through this, so a very SSS to base judgements on how MW will come back.

So...Arencibia, Lavarnway, or Clevenger? Who is the next man up?

I've been touting Lavarnway. Never like Arencibia. And if you don't like bad defense at catcher, JP is not your man. Can't possibly imagine a Joseph/Clevenger platoon, but crazier things have happened.

Pitchers can get tendinitis and recover with rest and be fine.

I also believe catchers get it too, with all the throwing they do.

I agree, they are just being cautious and some have taken the extreme and this is automatically bad news.

Well, it certainly isn't "good" news. The only question is whether or not it's "non-news."

Archived