Wieters Shut Down For a Few Days (Elbow Tendonitis)

SticksandStones

Yep. Most don't realize those catchers who've gotten TJ besides Hundley were back ups, AAAA quality and had other injuries as well.

The whole "the sky is falling" is a joke. It's golfer's elbow/tennis elbow. It happens to everybody who has had TJ and everybody who hasn't had TJ. It's normal. Typical solution is about a week off from activities that causes it. So no catching/throwing for a week. Also considering Wieters has been throwing alot lately (back field stuff/between innings tossing and so on) it's nothing to be worried about yet. In a week if he's feeling discomfort still.. then worry abit.

Agreed. The key quote from Buck was the one where he said he was surprised Wieters did not experience this earlier on his rehab. I know there's this belief that the Orioles undersell injuries (which I don't buy) but this news should definitely be taken at face value. Matt had not caught a game in nine months. He caught three games in the past week. Even if he hadn't had elbow surgery, there was a good chance he would have felt some soreness in the elbow after that long of a layoff behind the plate in a game situation. Could this turn into something worse? Of course. There just isn't any evidence to suggest that it will.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. The key quote from Buck was the one where he said he was surprised Wieters did not experience this earlier on his rehab. I know there's this belief that the Orioles undersell injuries (which I don't buy) but this news should definitely be taken at face value. Matt had not caught a game in nine months. He caught three games in the past week. Even if he hadn't had elbow surgery, there was a good chance he would have felt some soreness in the elbow after that long of a layoff behind the plate in a game situation. Could this turn into something worse? Of course. There just isn't any evidence to suggest that it will.

The guy is 0 for 20, still hasn't made a throw to second base, and now has to take a week off. Even if it is a normal part of the rehab process, I think it is now highly doubtful that he is ready to start the season. That doesn't mean the sky is falling, but the best case scenario is worse than it was before this news.

Personally I've moved on from the Matt Wieters era. Get the feeling he is going to be on and off the DL all season and will be one major distraction. I wish we could ship him and Davis off and get some quality prospects in return. Thank God we have CJ and the Sisco Kid on the way up:thumbsup1:

I tried to post in a previous thread on my phone. In Rome, internet is spotty at best.

1. Does anyone believe this is the normal? Please.

2. DD reached out to Boras and Matt about an extension. It would have made sense for both parties since he is coming off an injury and it is his free agent payday year. Matt and Boras passed. They look like absolute morons and will later this year, book it. Matt is not that good. Period. Most overrated Oriole on this team by a large margin.

3. If MW gets healthy, I would be all for trading him for what we could get (probably not much). Let Joseph and one of the other backups duel it out.

Boras is bad for baseball but I am tired of fans blaming Boras entirely. MW could easily take control of this own destiny. MW is probably only as good as he is because of Buck. Show some gratitude kid....sickens me.

I think Joseph catches 80-90% of the time until Matt is back. Probably 5 games a week.
I think Joseph catches 80-90% of the time once the season start until Matt is back. Probably 5 games a week.
I think Caleb will catch 80-90% of the games once the season starts until Matt is ready. Probably 5 games a week.

Someone reset wildcard.

I tried to post in a previous thread on my phone. In Rome, internet is spotty at best.

1. Does anyone believe this is the normal? Please.

2. DD reached out to Boras and Matt about an extension. It would have made sense for both parties since he is coming off an injury and it is his free agent payday year. Matt and Boras passed. They look like absolute morons and will later this year, book it. Matt is not that good. Period. Most overrated Oriole on this team by a large margin.

3. If MW gets healthy, I would be all for trading him for what we could get (probably not much). Let Joseph and one of the other backups duel it out.

Boras is bad for baseball but I am tired of fans blaming Boras entirely. MW could easily take control of this own destiny. MW is probably only as good as he is because of Buck. Show some gratitude kid....sickens me.

Who knows what well happen with Matt. All surgeries don't have the same outcome.Players don't show much loyalty to an organization and teams don't show much loyalty to players. it's a business.

Who knows what well happen with Matt. All surgeries don't have the same outcome.Players don't show much loyalty to an organization and teams don't show much loyalty to players. it's a business.

But why in the world would Matt not have signed an extension? It would have benefited HIM?

JP? Is that Arencibia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and he's been bad. On one occasion (I think it was last time he started) he bounced consecutive throws to 2B. They weren't short-hops either. Just way off and coming up short.

Lavarnway would be my choice after Caleb.

The guy is 0 for 20, still hasn't made a throw to second base, and now has to take a week off. Even if it is a normal part of the rehab process, I think it is now highly doubtful that he is ready to start the season. That doesn't mean the sky is falling, but the best case scenario is worse than it was before this news.

DL with a long rehab assignment is likely.

Not the worst news. Hopefully when he returns, he'll be in much better shape.

What was he doing in rehab? Was he doing simulated games as a catcheror just soft toss? Yesterday he caught 6 innings and did nothing overly aggressive or above and beyond what a catcher does in the routine course of a short stint behind home plate. And now he’s hurt? I’m not surprised. I didn’t think he’d move right back into the primary catcher’s slot. And now, per Showalter, if he can’t fill the role as catcher on Opening Day he will not use him as DH but will rather put him on the DL.

Archived