Fangraphs: Travis Snider is a top 60 Outfielder

weams

There is a nice upside based on how Snyder finished last offseason and his approaching peak age - so the trajectory in performance will be combined with nice opportunity in 2015. Things are aligned for a possible breakout season. I think this is a shrewd acquisition by DD, but will have to see if it turns out as well on the field as it appears on paper before the season.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we were all feeling the same way last year about David Lough.

I personally thought we were getting a better mcclouth... And I still feel that way now. I would really like to see snider square one up, it's been a of bloops and ground balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the same, Lough doesn't have the power.

I'll give you similar, but Lough's ceiling isn't has high as Snyders.

People were excited about Lough because of his speed, base stealing, defense and his second half bat with KC. Players can be exciting even if they don't hit HR.

I think we were all feeling the same way last year about David Lough.

The difference being the pedigree. Snider was highly prized, rushed to the majors at a young age. The talent was never questioned.

Lough languished in the minors and was never highly regarded. He got a shot finally --at a late age to debut in the majors -- and did well for a few months. I think our hope for Lough was a bit of wishful thinking that the Orioles found a late-bloomer for basically nothing. Converting Danny Valencia into Lough qualifies as a very good DD trade.

Not to say that Snider couldn't fail to impress but I think they are not a good comparison.

I personally thought we were getting a better mcclouth... And I still feel that way now. I would really like to see snider square one up, it's been a of bloops and ground balls.

a different McClouth, maybe. McClouth had power and was a good base stealer with a liability for an arm. Lough has a far superior arm to Nate, has little power and we hoped would grow into becoming a comparable base-stealer.

a different McClouth, maybe. McClouth had power and was a good base stealer with a liability for an arm. Lough has a far superior arm to Nate, has little power and we hoped would grow into becoming a comparable base-stealer.

I think if giving the amount of at bats, he could replicate Nate's 7 and 12 home runs.. But you're right, the comparison was more of him getting on base and stealing bases

The difference being the pedigree. Snider was highly prized, rushed to the majors at a young age. The talent was never questioned.

Lough languished in the minors and was never highly regarded. He got a shot finally --at a late age to debut in the majors -- and did well for a few months. I think our hope for Lough was a bit of wishful thinking that the Orioles found a late-bloomer for basically nothing. Converting Danny Valencia into Lough qualifies as a very good DD trade.

Not to say that Snider couldn't fail to impress but I think they are not a good comparison.

I think you could say the same for Snider. Lough is 2 years older but has been worth more in 3 seasons than Snider has in 7. Chicks dig the long ball and pedigrees seem to last forever.

Top 60? Is that something to celebrate? 30 teams, 3 starting outfielders per team. That's 90 starting outfielders. So you are saying the Snider is in the top 2/3's. Almost sounds like a slam.

Well. Considering that we are evaluating against Nick. Who might make the to 70. And De Aza. Who might make the top hundred. And Lough. Who may make the top 150. And Bourbon who may make the top 300. And Alvarez who may be in the top 400 currently I thought the author was praising him. It's not like we are talking prospects. We are talking actually outfielders.

Top 60? Is that something to celebrate? 30 teams, 3 starting outfielders per team. That's 90 starting outfielders. So you are saying the Snider is in the top 2/3's. Almost sounds like a slam.

No team carries only 3 outfielders. Top 60 puts a player in the upper half of major league outfielders. That is pretty darn good for what we paid..

Archived