Matusz, de Aza, McFarland, Lavarnway

wildcard

This could be a huge day for Brian Matusz. If he has a good start he may be traded before he can pitch again for the O's. Four innings and one or fewer runs should do it. The much rumored trade to the Mets is probably the most likely with the O's getting Verrett in return.

I like Matusz to the Marlins for Aaron Crow (1.9M salary) also. Crow has options. But I can count 10 teams that could use Matusz as a starter or lefty handed reliever. The 3.2M salary is the obstacle. O's say they will send some money with him if they have to.

Is de Aza loosing his grip on the starting left field job? Pearce is having and good spring and de Aza really is not. Two weeks is a long time and de Aza could surge. He needs to so he doesn't become the O's 4th outfielder.

McFarland is not having a great spring. I think Wilson, Mike Wright, Logan Verrett and Steve Johnson have all passed him in the pecking order.

With Wieters questionable for opening day and maybe some part of the month on April two catchers stand out as the best bet to back up Joseph in Wieters absence. Clevenger is in the lead IMO. Its not because of his play but his option that allows him to come up and down to the minors that makes him the best choice. Lavarnway is on a minor league contract and if he comes to the majors he has to be waivered to be sent back down. He probably will not pass through waivers. I would not be surprised to see Joseph and Lavarnway sharing time at catcher for the 2016 O's. Arencibia is having a bad spring catching and not hitting.

Just as few observations and questions. What are you seeing now that the O's are at the halfway point of ST?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This could be a huge day for Brian Matusz. If he has a good start he may be traded before he can pitch again for the O's. Four innings and one or fewer runs should do it. The much rumored trade to the Mets is probably the most likely with the O's getting Verrett in return.

I like Matusz to the Marlins for Aaron Crow (1.9M salary) also. Crow has options. But I can count 10 teams that could use Matusz as a starter or lefty handed reliever. The 3.2M salary is the obstacle. O's say they will send some money with him if they have to.

Is de Aza loosing his grip on the starting left field job? Pearce is having and good spring and de Aza really is not. Two weeks is a long time and de Aza could surge. He needs to so he doesn't become the O's 4th outfielder.

McFarland is not having a great spring. I think Wilson, Mike Wright, Logan Verrett and Steve Johnson have all passed him in the pecking order.

With Wieters questionable for opening day and maybe some part of the month on April two catchers stand out as the best bet to back up Joseph in Wieters absence. Clevenger is in the lead IMO. Its not because of his play but his option that allows him to come up and down to the minors that makes him the best choice. Lavarnway is on a minor league contract and if he comes to the majors he has to be waivered to be sent back down. He probably will not pass through ways. I would not be surprised to see Joseph and Lavarnway sharing time at catcher for the 2016 O's. Arencibia is having a bad spring catching and not hitting.

Just as few observations and questions. What are you seeing now that the O's are at the halfway point of ST?

Sounds about right. Worth noting that De Aza smoked a couple of balls the other day, even if the stats don't reflect it.

With Wieters questionable for opening day and maybe some part of the month on April two catchers stand out as the best bet to back up Joseph in Wieters absence. Clevenger is in the lead IMO. Its not because of his play but his option that allows him to come up and down to the minors that makes him the best choice. Lavarnway is on a minor league contract and if he comes to the majors he has to be waivered to be sent back down. He probably will not pass through ways. I would not be surprised to see Joseph and Lavarnway sharing time at catcher for the 2016 O's. Arencibia is having a bad spring catching and not hitting.

Are we sure that no team would claim Verrett? I'm pretty sure that a rule 5 guy has to clear waivers before a trade like this can be done.

Are we sure that no team would claim Verrett? I'm pretty sure that a rule 5 guy has to clear waivers before a trade like this can be done.

Cots Contracts:

A drafting club may work out a trade with the player?s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues.

This is what I have been thinking, too. I've seen all the posts about trading for rights to Garcia and Verrett, but I would think they still have to pass through waivers first.

I'll be shocked if the O's can trade Matusz for anything, and not without kicking in a million+ in cash.

The idea of Matusz as a starter is a fantasy, and I doubt there is a GM/team in the majors who would put him in a rotation.

The last time he was a starter he set the all time MLB record for worst starting pitcher. He wasn't just bad he was all time historically bad.

I haven't seen him break 90 with his fastball all Spring, his curve ball in not deep and will get hammered in the zone. His changeup is only a few mph less than his FB which allows hitters to easily react to both.

He is an expensive but serviceable LOOGY.

I'll be shocked if the O's can trade Matusz for anything, and not without kicking in a million+ in cash.

The idea of Matusz as a starter is a fantasy, and I doubt there is a GM/team in the majors who would put him in a rotation.

The last time he was a starter he set the all time MLB record for worst starting pitcher. He wasn't just bad he was all time historically bad.

I haven't seen him break 90 with his fastball all Spring, his curve ball in not deep and will get hammered in the zone. His changeup is only a few mph less than his FB which allows hitters to easily react to both.

I agree with most of this. I think someone will buy him as a starter.

if we take another catcher I doubt it's Clevenger, his defense is poor. Most likely Lavarnway, IMO. When Wieters comes back he can be picked up by another club. We still have replacements in the Minors. Pearce is not competing with De Aza for a COF slot. The OF will be some combo of De Aza, Pearce, Snider, and AJ no matter what they do in ST..

Only if you fail to adjust ERA for era (no pun intended). Steve Blass was worse in 1973. Matusz also had a 3 WAR season the year before so he has had a little success as a starter.

Matusz had the lowest era in the bullpen during the 2nd half of the year if memory serves. Maybe Wallace and Chiti have helped him out? Will be interesting to see how he fairs...

Because they were very limited in the roles they put him in.

I remember posts like this about Arrietta. He seems to be doing ok in his new job! ;)

Archived