2/23 Terps vs. Canes/ Gary Williams' status debate

The main problem is that Gary stinks at recruiting. The secondary problem is that he doesn't have any foresight whatsoever and does an absolutely awful job of planning out these classes and loading up with players who can all help in the same class.
Keep changing your argument, eventually you'll end up arguing something that makes some sense.

At least guys like Tony are consistent in their opinions. You clearly just want to bash Gary. First the team has a ton of talent but is poorly coached. Now he stinks at recruiting. It can't be both. Those two statements are 100% contradictory. Pick one, then maybe somebody will take you seriously.

Nobody is happy with where the program is right now. Or at least, where it will be if we do indeed miss the tourney, which is not a given at this point (and would've seemed crazy 5 days ago). What is crazy is thinking that a HOF coach with an incredible resume is less capable of returning us to the level he built us to than any random coach we'd bring in to replace the legend.

The success rate of schools replacing extremely longterm, successful coaches with equally or even close to as equally good coaches isn't great. Sometimes you can be a UNC or Kentucky that can continue to have great coaching and a great program, but other times the program falls apart.

Its certainly accurate to say there is a lot more room to go down than to go up in firing Gary. Arguing otherwise is simply wrong.

I also agree it'll take another 2 years at least after this season of NIT ball before I'll begin to believe Gary has "lost it". Loyalty is more important in college sports than in the pros, and programs don't go around hastily firing HOF coaches. Name the last coach ever with as many wins as Gary (or even close to it) that was fired for basketball-related reasons.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's real easy:

-He can't recruit. The Baltimore/DC area is one of the hot-beds for top tier basketball players, the "best" player he's ever gotten from this area was Juan Dixon, who wasn't even a highly regarded recruit coming out of HS. I could go ahead and list for you the number of local products that he's failed to get, but I assume you guys know the list.

-His teams are inconsistent, or in the very least, are consistent at playing at the level of their opponent. Sure it's fun to beat North Carolina, but it's much worse to lose against American, Va Tech TWICE and the Miamis of the world.

I don't know what you guys expect out of this program but I expect that every year we are a contender to at least make the Sweet 16. Sure every program has a down year or two but since the NC year I can safely say that the team's performance has not met my expectations. If you guys want to give him complete carte blanche because of what he's done in the past, that's fine. But some of you are so blinded by bias it's incredible.

I'm not saying that he should be fired this year or anything, all I'm saying is that the amount of bashing Bryan has gotten for being on that side of the argument is borderline hilarious.

Regarding Maze..

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/042507dnspooubrief.6be7f79.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-159250804.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-162597881.html

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2007/12/new_terps_basketball_commit_1.html

To say he brings a lot of baggage for being a 17-18 year old freshman that butted heads with his College coach is a stretch...

He might have maturity issues, or that might be overblown...

Either way, he is not coming in as a savior... there is plenty of guard depth, and he is going to have to earn his mts.

CR,

Read this and decide for yourself, or trust me it's a lot of baggage.

Also read how he was recruited-not exactly Duke or UNC or even FSU for that matter. By accounts I trust he will be an ACC impact player, and he is superior in all facets of the game to Hayes and Bowie-if he shows up and stays out of trouble.

http://www.insidetheshellmagazine.com/stories/maze.pdf

I don't know what you guys expect out of this program but I expect that every year we are a contender to at least make the Sweet 16. Sure every program has a down year or two but since the NC year I can safely say that the team's performance has not met my expectations. If you guys want to give him complete carte blanche because of what he's done in the past, that's fine. But some of you are so blinded by bias it's incredible.
Since the NC we've been to the NCAA tourney twice in four seasons, once making the sweet 16. The two years we missed, its very easy to see how we could've made it, Gilchrist imploded one season and McCray the next.

The recruiting is turning around, the next two classes look to be very good. Last year's class was quite good. This year's class isn't very good, but we're recruiting over everyone in the class, so they'll just be bench players.

Bryan gets bashed because he has not rational thoughts to share with us, and just picks the best parts of other people's accurate criticisms and then repeats them. He has no consistency or logic to his ramblings.

What I think is silly is people thinking that another coach could come in and do a better job than Gary. The only way any new coach would have a decent shot is if Gary leaves on his own terms. Replacing a great coach is never easy, and its damn near impossible if that coach was forced out. Any new coach is going to need the full support of Gary Williams in order to keep Maryland as a winning program. That'll be less likely if Maryland shows no loyalty to the man who singlehandedly turned the program from a crippled laughingstock mired in NCAA violations to the type of program where fans can be upset if we miss the NCAAs.

Since the NC we've been to the NCAA tourney twice in four seasons, once making the sweet 16. The two years we missed, its very easy to see how we could've made it, Gilchrist imploded one season and McCray the next.

The recruiting is turning around, the next two classes look to be very good. Last year's class was quite good. This year's class isn't very good, but we're recruiting over everyone in the class, so they'll just be bench players.

Bryan gets bashed because he has not rational thoughts to share with us, and just picks the best parts of other people's accurate criticisms and then repeats them. He has no consistency or logic to his ramblings.

What I think is silly is people thinking that another coach could come in and do a better job than Gary. The only way any new coach would have a decent shot is if Gary leaves on his own terms. Replacing a great coach is never easy, and its damn near impossible if that coach was forced out. Any new coach is going to need the full support of Gary Williams in order to keep Maryland as a winning program. That'll be less likely if Maryland shows no loyalty to the man who singlehandedly turned the program from a crippled laughingstock mired in NCAA violations to the type of program where fans can be upset if we miss the NCAAs.

We could be Indiana.

I would agree with this. GW is not above criticism and we have to accept him for what he is-there are certain facets of work that I am better than at others. If you really want to be frustrated try rooting for a team that recruits well but cannot coach or teach (like the Wade years). Md should be a very good team next year if the 4 recruited players show-their one and only weakness will be outside shooting.

IMO Gary is not happy with the way things are going and does not want this to be his legacy. By all accounts he is out recruiting much harder than he has been in the past, he is out in gyms with so's and jr's-stuff he has not done in the past few years. GW is not going anywhere, but when he does Md will be a very attractive position-the only thing lacking in the budget really top tier programs like UNC provide. If they can recruit and prosper in women's basketball they can do so in men's.

Archived