Do the Orioles have enough talent to acquire next year's starting catcher now & remain a contender?

mdbdotcom

It seems doubtful to me that next year's starting catcher is on the team now, and I wonder if the O's can do something about that. Given the team's depth at starting & relief pitching, outfield, and infield reserve, would it be possible to make a trade for one of the top catching prospects without giving up more than the team can afford?

I'm not suggesting that some team will give up a prized prospect for our scrubs, I'm asking if the Orioles can afford to put together a package that features someone who is expected to make a strong contribution this year.

For example, would a package that includes Chen, Gonzalez, or Norris plus Ryan Webb and David Lough be enough to grab a top catching prospect? Would it be too much to give up?

Your thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have several catching prospects: Sisco, Ward? If Wieters is not on the roster next year, I don't know what you are going to acquire without giving up the farm that will be much better than Joseph. He can be a placeholder till these guys are fully developed.

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but don't we have several catching prospects: Sisco, Ward? If Wieters is not on the roster next year, I don't know what you are going to acquire without giving up the farm that will be much better than Joseph. He can be a placeholder till these guys are fully developed.[/quote']

I'm not sure that any of our in-house catching prospects is highly regarded outside the organization. Maybe one of them is good enough. I don't know.

I think Joseph could possibly be the starting catcher. Buck probably has a better idea than we do.

Joseph had such a weird season last year at age 28. He had a very good year at AA as a 27 year old (.840 OPS) and was thought to not be very good defensively. Then the next year, he becomes one of the better guys at throwing out baserunners in the majors and doesn't hit much (there were flashes with the stick -- 9 hrs).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/josepca01.shtml

So, I'm not sure if we really know what Joseph can do. Is the defense for real? Can the hitting improve? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then it's hard to look for a replacement for a guy who's probably going to make 500K. There's good value there.

This team won a division title last year without Wieters, I don't think this is a huge concern.

I think what we saw from him last year was an extended hot streak, he'll be back to his .240 average self this year where he'll be an automatic out for extended periods.

He's not the lynchpin of this team, last year proved it.

This team won a division title last year without Wieters, I don't think this is a huge concern.

I think what we saw from him last year was an extended hot streak, he'll be back to his .240 average self this year where he'll be an automatic out for extended periods.

This. Sisco is the future of the position if his defense passes Showalter's test - we are looking for a placeholder, not the future of the position.

Interesting idea, but I don't see us gutting the farm system for a top prospect. Sure, we could get somebody if Harvey, Alvarez, etc are on the table. I don't see us doing that, so we stick with CJ and Lavarnway. We won 96 games with CJ, and honestly I think CJ has as good a chance of improving at the plate as Schoop.

This is where I'm at with him. I concur on every point. I have no problem having Wieters resigned but it would have to be for a reasonable contract that reflects his actual value. Last year proved to me that while he has value, it's not where Boras is going to take all of this.

This is where I'm at with him. I concur on every point. I have no problem having Wieters resigned but it would have to be for a reasonable contract that reflects his actual value. Last year proved to me that while he has value, it's not where Boras is going to take all of this.

I was assuming Wieters will be gone, not asking if we should re-sign him.

I think the O's are going to have someone come in on a one or two year deal while they see what becomes of the HS catchers they drafted a couple years ago. Early reports on two of them are favorable.

I agree with this take: very unlikely we resign Wieters, but I'd expect us to bring in a guy with some MLB experience catching on a reasonable contract to compete with Caleb, assuming Caleb plays fairly well this year backing up Matt. I like the young catchers we drafted, but Sisco would project as the first one ready and you've got to think he is at least two years away (assuming he starts at Frederick this year, could clear those three levels in two years if he keeps hitting and develops defensively, best case scenario.) I do think a lot of our approach will be determined by how these guys (Sisco most importantly, but also Heim and Murphy) play this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but don't we have several catching prospects: Sisco, Ward? If Wieters is not on the roster next year, I don't know what you are going to acquire without giving up the farm that will be much better than Joseph. He can be a placeholder till these guys are fully developed.[/quote']

Ward isn't a prospect. He is organizational depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived