Do the Orioles have enough talent to acquire next year's starting catcher now & remain a contender?

mdbdotcom

That is why I like Heim, his glove gives him a much better shot.

That's fair - certainly his appeal is his glove, but he's going to have to find some lumber to be thought of highly as he moves up. Still young, so he's got plenty of time. He'll start at Delmarva this year, with Sisco at Frederick? Or will we start him at Aberdeen?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If CJ can improve his contact rate a little, he's my guy. The pitching staff thrived throwing to him and he's sensational at throwing out base stealers. How CJ does at the plate this year is important to watch.

This. I think Joseph is better than Wieters with the pitching staff, thus it's not inconceivable to see Duquette trade Wieters at the deadline.

Because I think Welington Castillo has value? The guy has been worth 6.6fWAR over the last 3 years. That puts him at 14th over the last 3 years amongst catchers with at least 500PAs.I'm not saying he's going to fetch a lot, I just don't think it will be a 3M loogy. I think you're too high on Matusz if you think he nets an everyday player.

Castillo is a third string catcher. On the bubble as to whether the Cubs decide to go with three catchers and Castillo makes the team or not. The Cubs actually just went out and got TWO catchers to play above him. That is a fact. The Cubs have made their opinion of him quite clear. You are, once again, way off on this.

Castillo is a third string catcher. On the bubble as to whether the Cubs decide to go with three catchers and Castillo makes the team or not. The Cubs actually just went out and got TWO catchers to play above him. That is a fact. The Cubs have made their opinion of him quite clear. You are, once again, way off on this.

Castillo would be the fourth best catcher on the Orioles.

H

This. I think Joseph is better than Wieters with the pitching staff, thus it's not inconceivable to see Duquette trade Wieters at the deadline.

Please! MW is so overrated. Let him and Boras look stupid for not signing DD's extension. I like Joseph much more by far.

Partly the fault of Oriole fans pumping his defense up to more than it really was. A very solid catcher with some power but mediocre bat overall. Last year dispelled some of the myth.

Exactly. Great post. He will not be missed by me.

I would like to sign Davis still and believe he will sign for a reasonable amount. Sure that might be foolish to believe, but holding out hope.

Partly the fault of Oriole fans pumping his defense up to more than it really was. A very solid catcher with some power but mediocre bat overall. Last year dispelled some of the myth.

Yea, they really screwed up making the Fielding Bible award a fan vote. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of folks are going to be very unhappy with how Joseph performs this season.

I am sure they will have plenty of excuses on hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but don't we have several catching prospects: Sisco, Ward? If Wieters is not on the roster next year, I don't know what you are going to acquire without giving up the farm that will be much better than Joseph. He can be a placeholder till these guys are fully developed.[/quote']

Brian Ward is almost 30 he is not a prospect

An interesting way to describe to describe the Cubs primary catcher during 2013 and 2014, who was a 4.5 WAR player in 13 and a 1.8 WAR player in 2014. Defensively challenged maybe. I'll take your word for it since I don't know much about him. He does have a career CS % of 31 % which is decent. Obviously, there is some reason why the Cubs have soured on him. However, he's had a fair amount of success to be lumped in with "busted prospects".

The pitch framing stuff probably. Erratic. Plus the downward spiral.

I said he was a really solid catcher. His throwing skills have been vastly overrated. He's a great pitch blocker. Poor pitch framer, IMO. Nothing special (I think he's poor) at calling a game.

Poor pitch framer?

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

2009: 3.8 RAA

2010: 5.1 RAA

2011: 3.3 RAA

2012: -4.2 RAA

2013: -10.8 RAA

Looks to me like he is a pretty average framer that had a bad year right when the masses were clued into pitch framing.

Of course what we are looking at could be a serious decline in framing skills but I haven't seen much evidence that age is a factor in framing ability.

On his way to another minus season last year as well. I don't know why there is a disparity between his early "average numbers" and his poor numbers in 2013. My opinion (without the benefit of stats) is that he is not good at pitch framing. Joseph is rating at being better at it and that just re-enforces what my eyes tell me.

No, his early numbers were "above average". That is what RAA stands for.

I was looking at the totality of his work not just his last full season.

Defensive numbers can show significant variation from year to year.

I will certainly agree that he had a poor year in 2013.

I will also state that I don't take any framing numbers at face value. Hopefully they continue to refine the process.

No, his early numbers were "above average". That is what RAA stands for.

I was looking at the totality of his work not just his last full season.

Defensive numbers can show significant variation from year to year.

I will certainly agree that he had a poor year in 2013.

I will also state that I don't take any framing numbers at face value. Hopefully they continue to refine the process.

Or get robo umps.

Archived