If the Orioles stink in the first half...

Ohfan67

If the Orioles stink during the first half of the season, God forbid, then a big chunk of the roster may be playing for other teams after the trade deadline. That's the flip side of all the pending free agents, many signed to reasonable contracts for the year. If the Orioles don't do well, then we could see a Boston-like number of trades.

p.s. I'm NOT rooting for the Orioles to do poorly or anything like that, just an observation.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Orioles stink during the first half of the season, God forbid, then a big chunk of the roster may be playing for other teams after the trade deadline. That's the flip side of all the pending free agents, many signed to reasonable contracts for the year. If the Orioles don't do well, then we could see a Boston-like number of trades.

p.s. I'm NOT rooting for the Orioles to do poorly or anything like that, just an observation.

For a number of them the return would have to exceed the value of the compensation pick. Are teams going to be willing to pay that a few months of Norris or Chen?

For a number of them the return would have to exceed the value of the compensation pick. Are teams going to be willing to pay that a few months of Norris or Chen?

Given the number of desirable to somewhat-desirable starting pitchers who could be free agents after this season, giving Norris a QO could be risky. Here's a short list of pitchers who will be 32 or younger in 2016 who could be free agents next season.

Johnny Cueto

Doug Fister

Zack Greinke

Scott Kazmir

Rick Porcello

David Price

Jeff Samardzija

Jordan Zimmermann

Given the number of desirable to somewhat-desirable starting pitchers who could be free agents after this season, giving Norris a QO could be risky. Here's a short list of pitchers who will be 32 or younger in 2016 who could be free agents next season.

Johnny Cueto

Doug Fister

Zack Greinke

Scott Kazmir

Rick Porcello

David Price

Jeff Samardzija

Jordan Zimmermann

Hmmm this is a really good point. Perhaps there won't be a QO for Norris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think DD will be very conservative with QO's and only submit when he thinks the player's real value for the following season will be worth the QO amount. I don't think Norris will be worth 15+ million (and I'm not talking straight up WAR, I'm talking how much production DD can find for 15+ million/how much DD is willing to pay for Norris' production).

If someone with Ubaldo's history got tagged with a QO then Norris is a lock if he has an average season.

DD is cheap. And Ubaldo may have made him cheaper. :) But seriously, DD is not going to tag five or six players with qualifying offers. If the O's struggle, then the roster will have many trade candidates. Chen and Norris may be the most valuable and worth considering for a qualifying offer, but the roster is well stocked with tradable pieces.

p.s. Only 12 players were given qualifying offers in MLB last year. 13 in 2013. Multiple pitchers with Norris' profile were not given qualifying offers. It's hard to justify that Norris would be a "lock" with an average Norris season.

I think the O's are more likely to offer Wieters a QO than Norris or Chen.

p.s. Only 12 players were given qualifying offers in MLB last year. 13 in 2013. Multiple pitchers with Norris' profile were not given qualifying offers. It's hard to justify that Norris would be a "lock" with an average Norris season.

I think the O's are more likely to offer Wieters a QO than Norris or Chen.

Chen being an effective lefty and going into his age 30 season, I don't see a QO stopping a team from signing him.

Johnny Cueto

Doug Fister

Zack Greinke

Scott Kazmir

Rick Porcello

David Price

Jeff Samardzija

Jordan Zimmermann

I am all about the risk. If there are no injury concerns. Don't want someone rehabbing on our dine and then going back out when healthy.

DD is cheap. And Ubaldo may have made him cheaper. :) But seriously, DD is not going to tag five or six players with qualifying offers. If the O's struggle, then the roster will have many trade candidates. Chen and Norris may be the most valuable and worth considering for a qualifying offer, but the roster is well stocked with tradable pieces.

Dan Duquette is not cheap. He signed Manny Ramirez. He has the highest Orioles payroll of all time. Dan is not cheap.

Archived