Hunter Harvey Hit by Comebacker. (Lower leg, Fibula Broken)

weams

Ended his rookie season.

That was off a Billy Butler line drive, if I remember right. Bergesen hopped to the dugout. Trembley was near tears in the post game presser.

Then, Bergesen hurt himself in the MASN commercial prior to the next season. Now he's out of baseball.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Strangely enough, I was at the two most important games that Brad Bergesen ever pitched in his career, including the game in which his leg was broken.

The first game was his big breakthrough game, which also happened to be Matt Wieters' first game ever in late May of 2009.

Bergesen had a great game, pitching into the 9th inning while giving up up only 2 runs. When Dave Trembley took him out in the 9th inning, the loudspeakers at O.P.AC.Y. played "The Kid is Hot Tonight" by Loverboy.

Bergesen was by far our best starting pitcher over the next 2 months, vaulting himself into the race for the A.L. "Rookie of the Year" award.

I was also at the game in which Bergesen broke his leg on a line drive up the middle 2 months later that ended his season. Bergesen was again pitching a great game when his leg was broken, ceding only 1 run over 7 innings. Matt Wieters was the one who picked up the ball and threw the runner out after it caromed off of Bergesen's leg to end the (7th) inning. Bergesen then proceeded to hop on one leg all the way from the pitcher's mound to the Oriole dugout, before collapsing at the top step. We all gave him a standing ovation. :cool:

Assuming no complications I don't think it hurts him at all. They were already going to limit his innings.

Yup totally agree.

Certainly nobody wants to see a guy injured but if its gonna happen better it happen at the developmental level he is at than later when he is in the majors...that hurts far more from a team standpoint. Freak accident, feel bad for him but like you think he will just fine and get the work in he was slotted for.

It took, what, $6 million to give Steve Austin bionic limbs? And yet the O's trot their top prospects into game situations with plain old bones. Just another failure of the team's development system, IMO.

#baltimorecantbuildpitchers

This is a good point --- but you have to keep in mind, it cost $6M in 1974 dollars. Adjusting for inflation, and assuming no significant decreases in the production costs associated with bionicizing a person, we're talking about $28.5M per player. That's pretty steep.

I think we're better off continuing to build our homegrown men from Iron rather than venturing into the bionics game. #steveaustinfearscalripken

This is a good point --- but you have to keep in mind, it cost $6M in 1974 dollars. Adjusting for inflation, and assuming no significant decreases in the production costs associated with bionicizing a person, we're talking about $28.5M per player. That's pretty steep.

I think we're better off continuing to build our homegrown men from Iron rather than venturing into the bionics game. #steveaustinfearscalripken

Yes, but that's $28.5M adjusted cost per player at governmental prices. So you could probably get the same bionics at Costco for $100K per guy.

You're not very good at the baseball intelligence thing. Do you intentionally make such outlandish statements or is this what you truly think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know we were talking baseball here. I'm talking about how the Orioles have a pattern of initially reporting recovery times that are never met. This has nothing to do with Harvey, or being negative. I'm just pointing out a pattern that goes back to the Markakis wrist injury.

I didn't know we were talking baseball here. I'm talking about how the Orioles have a pattern of initially reporting recovery times that are never met. This has nothing to do with Harvey, or being negative. I'm just pointing out a pattern that goes back to the Markakis wrist injury.

When Markakis had his wrist surgery Buck said that the doctors said 4 weeks and he was in Bowie on a rehab assignment 5 weeks later and in the Orioles lineup 6 weeks to the day after the surgery. Not exactly multiplying by 8-10. Plus you have to assume that there is more uncertainty with a wrist injury for a hitter than a shin injury for a pitcher.

Archived