Will 2015 Dictate The Rest of Matt Wieters' Career?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most overrated Orioles player ever...

He is going to deeply regret not signing a one year extension this offseason. Dumb. Makes no sense, would have benefited both parties.

I know Boras is Boras but I just don't buy that the players cannot take control of their own destiny. Buck has done a lot for his development IMO and I feel like he is being slightly ungrateful. I know it is business, blah blah...but just some thoughts I have (might be irrational but it is a message board for discussion).

Regardless, he will not be here next year and I doubt he will get a huge payday. He can blame his agent for that.

He is going to deeply regret not signing a one year extension this offseason. Dumb. Makes no sense, would have benefited both parties.

I'm not sure anyone has ever deeply regretted not signing a one year extension. Even if he never gets healthy this year he could sign a one-year deal in the offseason to attempt to reestablish his value and become a free agent after 2016. Signing a one-year extension now would not benefit him, only the Orioles.

Any time a player is in a walk year it is incredibly important. However, worst case scenario, even if he has a horrible year, he could go the Nelson Cruz route. Cobble together some one-year deals until he has a good year, then sign a long term deal. That said, if he has an off year in his walk year coming off a missed year due to TJ, it will be a major uphill climb to re-establish his value to where it was a year or two ago.

Most overrated Orioles player ever...

I know Boras is Boras but I just don't buy that the players cannot take control of their own destiny. Buck has done a lot for his development IMO and I feel like he is being slightly ungrateful. I know it is business, blah blah...but just some thoughts I have (might be irrational but it is a message board for discussion).

Regardless, he will not be here next year and I doubt he will get a huge payday. He can blame his agent for that.

We are all entitled to an opinion, but your opinion that he is the most overrated is all wet and pure horse hockey.

You do realize he leads all starting catchings in the number of runners thrown out?

He has received a Fielding Bible Award and gold glove in 2011 as the best defensive catcher in MLB.

Another Glod glove in 2012.

Has he bat like they expected no, but dang, to go all the way to overrated is just wrong.

We are all entitled to an opinion, but your opinion that he is the most overrated is all wet and pure horse hockey.

You do realize he leads all starting catchings in the number of runners thrown out?

He has received a Fielding Bible Award and gold glove in 2011 as the best defensive catcher in MLB.

Another Glod glove in 2012.

Has he bat like they expected no, but dang, to go all the way to overrated is just wrong.

LOL-that is awesome. No worries. Agree to disagree. I think once you factor in his draft status (where he was picked) and how well Joseph works with the staff (with a much much much much lower cost) and the fact it seems like every other at bat is a slow roller to second or a double-play....I am okay with him leaving.

I'm not sure anyone has ever deeply regretted not signing a one year extension. Even if he never gets healthy this year he could sign a one-year deal in the offseason to attempt to reestablish his value and become a free agent after 2016. Signing a one-year extension now would not benefit him, only the Orioles.

I am not sure how you know the numbers discussed....I hear your point, but DD may have offered a very good deal for him to extend, we just don't know.

LOL-that is awesome. No worries. Agree to disagree. I think once you factor in his draft status (where he was picked) and how well Joseph works with the staff (with a much much much much lower cost) and the fact it seems like every other at bat is a slow roller to second or a double-play....I am okay with him leaving.

Considering Joseph is here now, that's easy to say.

At the time, they had no clue what they were going to do. Thank God, he stepped up, since Clevenger couldn't do the job.

Some of us was around and remember the catchers between Dempsey and Wieters, and that makes me appreciate what we have in Matt.

But, this is a business and I really don't see Matt being here after 2015.

Considering Joseph is here now, that's easy to say.

At the time, they had no clue what they were going to do. Thank God, he stepped up, since Clevenger couldn't do the job.

Some of us was around and remember the catchers between Dempsey and Wieters, and that makes me appreciate what we have in Matt.

But, this is a business and I really don't see Matt being here after 2015.

No love for Chris Hoiles?

Charles Johnson was very good.

Yeah, how dare the fifth pick in the draft only make 3 all-star teams and win two Gold Gloves in his first five full years. Why couldn't he be more like Matt Hobgood? OVERRATED. I wish he was more like Caleb Joseph and held Bowie's franchise record for games played.

By WAR (and really any other reasonable measure) Wieters is 9th among fifth overall picks in the 50 years of the MLB draft. A full third didn't ever reach the Majors.

I don't recall the O's offering him a one year extension. Why would they before they know he's fully recovered from the TJ?

I'm sure they would offer him one if they suspected any player was dumb enough to accept one. No player signs a one year extension before a season starts. It isn't a thing.

I'm sure they would offer him one if they suspected any player was dumb enough to accept one. No player signs a one year extension before a season starts. It isn't a thing.

It is a "thing" when a player is about to go into a contract year coming off a major surgery. An extension would have made sense for both parties.

Yeah, how dare the fifth pick in the draft only make 3 all-star teams and win two Gold Gloves in his first five full years. Why couldn't he be more like Matt Hobgood? OVERRATED. I wish he was more like Caleb Joseph and held Bowie's franchise record for games played.

By WAR (and really any other reasonable measure) Wieters is 9th among fifth overall picks in the 50 years of the MLB draft. A full third didn't ever reach the Majors.

Never said he wasn't good. Said he isn't worth nearly the payday he is about to get (assuming he plays this year and shows he is capable).

Archived