Will 2015 Dictate The Rest of Matt Wieters' Career?

PressBoxOnline

Prior to this past off season, they have tried to get into extension talks, that's common knowledge. Show me an article that expressly says they tried this off season for one year as you seem to think.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see your point. I would just hope MW would show some sense of gratitude to Buck for helping with his development. But I guess I am being na?ve.

Gratitude is not collectively bargained for. Did the Orioles show Manny gratitude when they renewed his contract last year? No, nor should they. It is a business and there is no evidence to suggest that giving a player extra money early makes any difference once they reach free agency. Players understand that they are underpaid every step of the way until they reach free agency. So they would be silly to show gratitude to delay free agency if they aren't compensated for it.

Prior to this past off season, they have tried to get into extension talks, that's common knowledge. Show me an article that expressly says they tried this off season for one year as you seem to think.

I thought the complaint from the Boras camp was that DD wasn't taking to them????????

I am no expert on WAR, but that is as a catcher, correct? With a good arm, correct?

A long-term deal assumes he will remain at catcher...and likely that will not occur.

WAR is great and all, but perspective is important too.

You think it's likely that Wieters won't return to being a catcher? Based on what?

You think it's likely that Wieters won't return to being a catcher? Based on what?

I don't think it's unreasonable to question whether Wieters will be primarily a catcher as he enters his 30s. Joe Mauer hasn't caught more than 75 games in a season since 2010 (when he was 27).

Matt could definitely be entering a phase of his career where ~70-90 games at catcher is more realistic than ~140.

I don't think it's unreasonable to question whether Wieters will be primarily a catcher as he enters his 30s. Joe Mauer hasn't caught more than 75 games in a season since 2010 (when he was 27).

Matt could definitely be entering a phase of his career where ~70-90 games at catcher is more realistic than ~140.

Considering there were only 10 individual seasons over the last 10 years where a catcher caught 140 games in a season, this is obviously true. I think the more likely scenario though is that he catches 100-120 games a season for the next 4 years.

Too many players surrender control to the agent and then say "It's not up to me", which is a complete abdication of responsibility.

I've learned it's better to be loyal than a gypsy. I think Wieters is mentally gone and the Orioles know it.

I think there are question marks, but what I meant was the contract he will sign-he will not be catching that whole time, clearly.

Based on watching baseball:) Knees, the wear and tear on a player's body. Few can catch their whole careers particular with a bat that is above average.

Too many players surrender control to the agent and then say "It's not up to me", which is a complete abdication of responsibility.

I've learned it's better to be loyal than a gypsy. I think Wieters is mentally gone and the Orioles know it.

Part of my point. Frustrating that MW wouldn't have more loyalty. But what you and I, the fan, would do and they do aren't the same things.

Why should they be loyal? It is a business. If the Orioles cared about Matt Wieters long term earnings then he wouldn't have averaged 132 games started behind the dish from 2011-2013.

Wieter's career trajectory started declining after several years in the bigs when he demonstrated that he will never hit enough to be a 1B/DH. Since then it has been just waiting for the inevitable injuries to rob him of his catching ability. The TJ surgery has sped up the process by a couple of years. I don't expect him to catch more than 50 games this year, and I'd be amazed if he had an OPS >.700

Considering there were only 10 individual seasons over the last 10 years where a catcher caught 140 games in a season, this is obviously true. I think the more likely scenario though is that he catches 100-120 games a season for the next 4 years.

Would you prefer 120 as the marker? Regardless, Wieters is entering the phase of his career where he can't be relied upon as an "everyday" catcher - and his bat is insufficient to justify many at bats at any other position.

Would you prefer 120 as the marker? Regardless, Wieters is entering the phase of his career where he can't be relied upon as an "everyday" catcher - and his bat is insufficient to justify many at bats at any other position.

120 is probably still too high. By that metric there were only 7 everyday catchers in MLB last year. Regardless, there are plenty of players in their 30's that are their team's primary catcher. In the last couple years Ellis, Molina, Ianetta, Pierzynski, McCann, Martin and Suzuki have all been their team's primary catchers.

Wieter's career trajectory started declining after several years in the bigs when he demonstrated that he will never hit enough to be a 1B/DH. Since then it has been just waiting for the inevitable injuries to rob him of his catching ability. The TJ surgery has sped up the process by a couple of years. I don't expect him to catch more than 50 games this year, and I'd be amazed if he had an OPS >.700

I would still put money on Wieters finishing this season with an OPS > .700. As for his hitting, while he would be a below average bat at DH and first base at this point, I think it is a fair assumption that he would improve to average if he wasn't catching 130+ games a year.

Archived