"It's kind of who we have to be."

Frobby

Averageish starters? SMH

You do realize that just about every MLB team is struggling to find quality arms to fill out their 5 man rotation?

Yes, if you like ERA they are above average, which is what I was getting at. Outside of ERA however, not a whole lot to like.

Poor Buck he's so retro. Someone needs to explain FIP to him.

"So you see Buck, your team really isn't that good! They shouldn't be winning all these games and preventing all these runs! You might want to retire now before the inevitable collapse so you can look like even more of a genius!"

Yes, if you like ERA they are above average, which is what I was getting at. Outside of ERA however, not a whole lot to like.

I like Victories, and this team is has more victories than the other teams for the past 3 years total.

I went through 14 years of a very black hell watching this team field some very bad teams and was out of the running before 1 June for most of the season.

I like Victories, and this team is has more victories than the other teams for the past 3 years total.

I went through 14 years of a very black hell watching this team field some very bad teams and was out of the running before 1 June for most of the season.

As do I, and I admitted the current system works. Average starters coupled with outstanding defense equates to above average run prevention at bargain prices. I'm hoping they keep the cost effective part going, otherwise the model potentially breaks.

As do I, and I admitted the current system works. Average starters coupled with outstanding defense equates to above average run prevention at bargain prices. I'm hoping they keep the cost effective part going, otherwise the model potentially breaks.

I guess we can just agree that our own definition of average is probably just a shade different.

For all particular purposes, Norris was the #5 SP last year, he went 15-8, not 10-12, or 13-11, which is what average starters do.

I would call our guys, Good, not great or Elite, but, I would not call them average.

Sorry, just me and my own opinion.

I guess we can just agree that our own definition of average is probably just a shade different.

For all particular purposes, Norris was the #5 SP last year, he went 15-8, not 10-12, or 13-11, which is what average starters do.

I would call our guys, Good, not great or Elite, but, I would not call them average.

Yes, if pitcher record is even a tool you use for evaluation, there is not a conversation to be had here.

Yes, if pitcher record is even a tool you use for evaluation, there is not a conversation to be had here.

Yes, I know, W-L is never allowed to be used in a discussion about a pitcher's merit.

But, at the end of the season, you have to look at the end results, and give credit to the guys for having got you there.

I agree with you.

Yes, I know, W-L is never allowed to be used in a discussion about a pitcher's merit.

But, at the end of the season, you have to look at the end results, and give credit to the guys for having got you there.

W-L record is often used by many people when discussing pitchers. The problem is it's not a very good tool for measuring a pitcher's effectiveness. It's good at showing how well a team has played.

I found this quote from Buck the other day very telling:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/hearing-from-showalter-after-5-2-loss.html

Bottom line, Buck has constructed his team a certain way. Put good fielders in the field, avoid mistakes, don't give the other team free bases, and make the other team beat you. Maybe the pitchers don't "pitch to contact," but they aren't afraid of what will happen if the hitters do make contact.

You know what? It works.

That's why Buck is the boss.

Archived