Who will be the odd man out in the rotation and how does Buck do it?

Nevermore

Who will be the odd man out?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the odd man out?

• Kevin Gausman to the pen because he is young and needs to develop more pitches
    • Kevin Gausman optioned. he has options left
    • Miguel Gonzalez optioned, he has options left
    • Wei-Yin Chen optioned, he has options left
    • Bud Norris to bullpen because of his miserable spring
    • Bud Norris to DL
    • Ubaldo Jimimenz to bullpen because he still needs work with the piching coaches
    • Successful trade of one of the starters
    • Gonzalez to bullpen because he's a good sport
    • Other

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My number one preference by far is to trade Norris or Chen, preferably Norris. Get rid of salary, opens a spot for Gausman, you still have Wright, Tyler Wilson, Steve Johnson, and even Matusz as 5th starter options.

After that, there are a bunch of bad options. Norris to the DL, Gausman or Gonzo to the bullpen (likely costing Garcia), Gausman or Gonzo to Norfolk. Norris to the DL is just a temporary solution, and KG and Gonzo both deserve to be starting pitchers. The one silver lining of Gausman or Gonzo to the bullpen would be if they are trying to manage their innings, so I think that is the most likely option at the moment. Which one depends on who you think is more durable and best able to handle a switch in their role when called upon.

o

As I've stated several times before, I wouldn't mind seeing a "5 and-a-half man" rotation, with a 6th man piggybacking with one of the 5 starters.

Not necessarily for the whole season, but I like the idea a lot, particularly when you have more than 5 qualified starters.

It might be a good idea to have Gausman start the season in that role (6th man, piggybacking off of either Gonzalez or Norris), since one of the franchise's concerns is limiting his innings this season.

o

As I've stated several times before, I wouldn't mind seeing a "5 and-a-half man" rotation, with a 6th man piggybacking with one of the 5 starters.

Not necessarily for the whole season, but I like the idea a lot, particularly when you have more than 5 qualified starters.

It might be a good idea to have Gausman start the season in that role (6th man, piggybacking off of either Gonzalez or Norris), since one of the franchise's concerns is limiting his innings this season.

P.S. I'm going to get greedy here (why not ??? I'm just an Oriole fan talking about the Orioles, and I have no effect on the team whatsoever), but in addition to this, it would be incredibly good fortune for the team if Matusz continues to pitch as well as he has this spring, and maybe even winds up being one of the long-men in the bullpen. Then we would have 2 of our 5 starters with their backs covered each time that we went through the rotation if they have a bad game(s), and need to exit the contest(s) early.

I voted Gausman to the pen, only because that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. And it's not because he needs to develop more pitches.

It's still just a matter of time before someone get hurt or stinks for a sufficient period that Gausman gets inserted into the rotation. I'd bet he makes 25 starts even if he begins the year in the bullpen.

P.S. I'm going to get greedy here (why not ??? I'm just an Oriole fan talking about the Orioles, and I have no effect on the team whatsoever), but in addition to this, it would be incredibly good fortune for the team if Matusz continues to pitch as well as he has this spring, and maybe even winds up being one of the long-men in the bullpen. Then we would have 2 of our 5 starters with their backs covered each time that we went through the rotation if they have a bad game(s), and need to exit the contest(s) early.

If Gausman goes to the pen and we are unable to trade Matusz, we are going to lose Garcia and Verrett for sure. Not the end of the world, but my greedy nature is coveting those guys.

I say send Gausman down and find his stride over 4-5 starts. After that, he can replace any of the other starters due to injury or underperformance. If everybody is performing, we should be in a an excellent position to pull off a trade for prospects or a position player if needed.

Archived