Maryland lands Diamond Stone

LayzieDES

Anybody who thinks that academics has ANYTHING to do with the decision making of top 10 college basketball recruits is INCREDIBLY naive.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Wisconsin fans are just salty that they didn't get their prized recruit and are looking for any way to make themselves feel better about it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Wisconsin fans are just salty that they didn't get their prized recruit and are looking for any way to make themselves feel better about it.

Maryland and Wiscy have pretty similar standards for acceptance. They are both very good schools. Those blaming sub standards at MD are far off.

Dekker will be well advised to return - his stock is rising, but next year will be his team like this year was Kaminsky's. I could see it going both ways.

The draft is all about projection and youth - the youther the better, as they say. If he stuck around another year, he'd have to improve significantly just to keep the same prospect status. He's already a clear 1st round pick. If he sticks around and shows he's a tweener - not big enough for PF and not the perimeter skills and athleticism of a SF, then he potentially drops out of the first round. Anything's possible, but I'd be surprised if he stays another year.

More importantly, MD got Diamond Stone!

The draft is all about projection and youth - the youther the better, as they say. If he stuck around another year, he'd have to improve significantly just to keep the same prospect status. He's already a clear 1st round pick. If he sticks around and shows he's a tweener - not big enough for PF and not the perimeter skills and athleticism of a SF, then he potentially drops out of the first round. Anything's possible, but I'd be surprised if he stays another year.

More importantly, MD got Diamond Stone!

d2e97a489a4aed30053b710547ceed9e.jpg

Anybody who thinks that academics has ANYTHING to do with the decision making of top 10 college basketball recruits is INCREDIBLY naive.

It does, to the extent that the applicant has to meet some (extremely low) standard of academic achievement to attend some schools. Even really shady universities won't admit an athlete if the student can't (or won't) pass the cream puff curriculum. Post Bob-Wade Maryland actually has fairly strict (compared to the competition) rules regarding athlete admits.

The Washington Post article (today or yesterday?) has quotes from Stone saying he was accepted to Wisconsin, earned a 20 on his ACT, etc..

-- Maryland will travel to Wisconsin next season, which might not be the most pleasant homecoming for Stone. Stone’s already had to turn off his notifications on twitter because of the negative comments he’s received about his decision, but isn’t worried about the trip to Madison. Stone said, ““I know I’m going to get some boos, but I’m ready for that I think. It’s going to be a crazy atmosphere.” He also noted that College Park is just an hour and a half flight from him hometown and he expects a lot of family and friends to travel to see him play.

-- Maryland began recruiting Stone during his freshman year with assistant coach Bino Ranson initiating the talks, but he admitted he didn’t really start looking into the Terps much until this season. Maryland’s success this season made it easier for him to envision himself in a Terps uniform while watching big men like Damonte Dodd and Evan Smotrycz play.

-- After many speculated Stone wasn’t yet qualified to get into Wisconsin, Stone said his guidance counselor asked him if he wanted her to put out his test scores to prove that was false. Stone also said he got a 20 on the ACT.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Diamond-Stone-Were-Going-to-be-Hard-to-Stop-36507851

Hopefully he keeps working on his friend Malik Newman too.

I'd almost rather get Damion Lee. Not that getting Malik Newman wouldn't be freakin sweet. But Lee will be a senior, fits in as a perfect replacement for Dez Wells. He's much more experienced which could make a big difference come March. Either guy would only be here for a year anyway. Of course Lee probably doesn't have half as much talent as Newman, though.

Edited by ArtVanDelay

I'd almost rather get Damion Lee. Not that getting Malik Newman wouldn't be freakin sweet. But Lee will be a senior, fits in as a perfect replacement for Dez Wells. He's much more experienced which could make a big difference come March. Either guy would only be here for a year anyway.

I'm riding high right now off Stone...I want both Lee and Newman.

-- Maryland began recruiting Stone during his freshman year with assistant coach Bino Ranson initiating the talks, but he admitted he didn’t really start looking into the Terps much until this season. Maryland’s success this season made it easier for him to envision himself in a Terps uniform while watching big men like Damonte Dodd and Evan Smotrycz play.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Diamond-Stone-Were-Going-to-be-Hard-to-Stop-36507851

If I watched those guys play I'd think I could play at Maryland right away too if I were Stone! lol

Seriously, I'm excited about what he brings to this team.