Fangraphs' Jeff Zimmerman's scouting reports on Bundy and Harvey 3/16

Frobby

Bundy is toast. Take the loss and move on. Maybe he reinvents himself, we'll see.

Harvey... well it's not a tommy john type injury or a rotator cuff, so that's good. Still plenty of hope for him.

I'm not complaining. If you can't draft 'em, find 'em. Trade for 'em. Find young pitching by whatever means necessary. The Orioles did that.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/03/18/dylan-bundy-bobby-bundy-baltimore-orioles

?Dylan threw some good sequences,? Showalter said after Bundy?s second outing. ?He?s right where he needs to be.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one in the organization questions Bundy's work ethic, but there was concern that the former first-round pick of the 2011 draft was putting himself at risk for injury. “It doesn’t contribute to [the ligament damage]," Showalter says of high-stress workouts. “It’s usually the cause.” That Bundy trained with such a fervor should be no surprise: He and his 25-year-old brother Bobby, a 2008 eighth-round pick who is also righthanded and has pitched as high as Double A in the Baltimore organization, grew up pushing themselves as hard as they could. Both have paid a price: Bobby had his own Tommy John surgery three months after Dylan’s.

So, wait a minute. Are you telling me it's not true that crappy development by our organization of Dylan Bundy is not the reason he isn't starting for us right now and has not lived up to all his lofty expectations? It's possible that he may have caused his injury through over exerting himself through an under supervised physical fitness program that both he and his brother both rigorously adhered to while in high school?

Well, I'm starting a new thread this instant.

No one in the organization questions Bundy's work ethic, but there was concern that the former first-round pick of the 2011 draft was putting himself at risk for injury. “It doesn’t contribute to [the ligament damage]," Showalter says of high-stress workouts. “It’s usually the cause.” That Bundy trained with such a fervor should be no surprise: He and his 25-year-old brother Bobby, a 2008 eighth-round pick who is also righthanded and has pitched as high as Double A in the Baltimore organization, grew up pushing themselves as hard as they could. Both have paid a price: Bobby had his own Tommy John surgery three months after Dylan’s.

So, wait a minute. Are you telling me it's not true that crappy development by our organization of Dylan Bundy is not the reason he isn't starting for us right now and has not lived up to all his lofty expectations? It's possible that he may have caused his injury through over exerting himself through an under supervised physical fitness program that both he and his brother both rigorously adhered to while in high school?

Well, I'm starting a new thread this instant.

It has been discussed at great length. There is a great deal of information that shows that potential top of the rotation high school pitchers who try to hit the multi million dollar jackpot are particularly susceptible to these types of injuries. You really could write a book on the subject.

What Happened to Felix Doubront that he needed to be unconditionally release? Was it Red Sox/Cubs Development?

You are really comparing an un-drafted free agent to the #4 pick in the draft?

I'd say the Red Sox did an incredible job getting two years in the rotation out of Dubront

If you are not concerned with Dylan Bundy now then you are nothing short of a severe Homer. That said, I am not ready to give up on him. I am always pulling for guys that work as hard as he does. Only time will tell, but as I stated and got laughed at here on the O/H this past offseason....The Bloom is seriously off Dylan Bundy and he has just about zero trade value. The value he has is to us, lets see if he can get back and be anywhere close to the guy we expected he would be when we drafted him.

If you are not concerned with Dylan Bundy now then you are nothing short of a severe Homer. That said, I am not ready to give up on him. I am always pulling for guys that work as hard as he does. Only time will tell, but as I stated and got laughed at here on the O/H this past offseason....The Bloom is seriously off Dylan Bundy and he has just about zero trade value. The value he has is to us, lets see if he can get back and be anywhere close to the guy we expected he would be when we drafted him.

There is being concerned and then there is making a big deal out of a guy watching an inning or two on his TV and calling it a scouting report.

I must be a severe Homer (whatever that means). Worrying about whether a minor league ballplayer ends up being as good as anticipated seems like a real waste of time to me. Being a baseball fan, as I approach it, is supposed to be fun. Worrying about things I can't control is anything but fun. That doesn't mean I never express my support or displeasure over certain decisions the team makes or events that befall them, I just can't extend that to worrying about minor league ballplayers.

I'm sure this is just one of my shortcomings as an Orioles fan. Hope you have a great season!

I must be a severe Homer (whatever that means). Worrying about whether a minor league ballplayer ends up being as good as anticipated seems like a real waste of time to me. Being a baseball fan, as I approach it, is supposed to be fun. Worrying about things I can't control is anything but fun. That doesn't mean I never express my support or displeasure over certain decisions the team makes or events that befall them, I just can't extend that to worrying about minor league ballplayers.

I'm sure this is just one of my shortcomings as an Orioles fan. Hope you have a great season!

Don't worry about it. You have plenty of time to work on being really angry and bitter about top prospects who might not be taking a direct path to stardom and glory at 21 or 22. Once you've mastered that you can move on to regretting every draft pick. Only then will you be a real fan.

Don't worry about it. You have plenty of time to work on being really angry and bitter about top prospects who might not be taking a direct path to stardom and glory at 21 or 22. Once you've mastered that you can move on to regretting every draft pick. Only then will you be a real fan.

And the ones that other teams pass over? Like Mike Trout? They don't count. Only the first five picks.

At least now I have a goal. Thanks!

Do you really think this is true? I bet Dan could find 29 teams to dispute this. Maybe have an open auction. What do you think?

I don't think there is any doubt that Bundy's trade value is way down. I believe there was an article after the 2012 season that had Bundy in the top 50 players (majors or minors) in terms of trade value. He certainly wouldn't be there now. Of course it is an exaggeration to say he has zero trade value now, but his stock has dropped a lot and we'll have to see how he does this season as it progresses.

I am very worried about Bundy. He hasn't looked great this spring to me at all. Now a couple of months from now that could all change but right now it is hard not to be concerned. He is living off of past talents more than present at the moment. Nobody knows if he can regain what he had.

Archived