Fangraphs' Jeff Zimmerman's scouting reports on Bundy and Harvey 3/16

Frobby

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good catch, yes they must have been recorded the futures game.

Sorry about that, I just saw the two data points and went to work.

Kinda embarrassing when I was getting on DH for not doing the work.

The point remains that he wasn't working in the upper 80's.

I think some folks have melded his two MLB appearances with how he looked the following spring.

I didn't say he was working in the upper 80's. I said he ranged from 88-92 topping out at 94-95.

Don't worry about it. You have plenty of time to work on being really angry and bitter about top prospects who might not be taking a direct path to stardom and glory at 21 or 22. Once you've mastered that you can move on to regretting every draft pick. Only then will you be a real fan.

Zen baseball and the art of real fandom?

There is being concerned and then there is making a big deal out of a guy watching an inning or two on his TV and calling it a scouting report.

Yeah, I'm not sure why folks are even paying attention to a piece like that. I think when the evaluator says multiple times he can't tell the difference between a change-up and a curveball it's time to find another article to read....

Yeah, I'm not sure why folks are even paying attention to a piece like that. I think when the evaluator says multiple times he can't tell the difference between a change-up and a curveball it's time to find another article to read....

What about fastball velocity? When should we expect that to bounce back?

What about fastball velocity? When should we expect that to bounce back?

I'd wait and see what actual radar gun readings look like come May. I certainly wouldn't cite TV radar gun readings from spring training. That's not to say people shouldn't (or should) be concerned over Bundy, but I think folks have tended to swing to the extremes in valuing him dating back to his first full summer as a pro.

That's the conclusion a couple of us made about posting the thread. He also admits up front to watching via poor camera angles. Not a ringing endorsement.

Thank you. Give us your account of where Bundy is please.

I remember Bundy's OPACY appearance and he was very unimpressive. When his velocity spiked, he lost all control. I think he was hurt by September 2012 and the Os didn't confirm until 2013.

I'm nervous because of his brother. Bobby was also a nice prospect but hasn't been able to get it back yet either.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I had Cole, Rendon, Bundy, and Starling as my favs in that order. The last two aren't looking great, for sure.

I remember Bundy's OPACY appearance and he was very unimpressive. When his velocity spiked, he lost all control. I think he was hurt by September 2012 and the Os didn't confirm until 2013.

I'm nervous because of his brother. Bobby was also a nice prospect but hasn't been able to get it back yet either.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I had Cole, Rendon, Bundy, and Starling as my favs in that order. The last two aren't looking great, for sure.

I told AgentO that Rendon was the same size as him. And would probably have a career like him. I am now a huge fanboy.

I told AgentO that Rendon was the same size as him. And would probably have a career like him. I am now a huge fanboy.

Also worth remembering that Rendon fell partially due to injury. Many doubted if he'd ever play 3B, and there wasn't a ton of evidence on his ability to play 2B. So the risk at the time was that we'd be drafting an advanced bat with little positional value and only good power. I still wanted that bat and I also discounted the injury as taking away from his abilities long term.

I'd wait and see what actual radar gun readings look like come May. I certainly wouldn't cite TV radar gun readings from spring training. That's not to say people shouldn't (or should) be concerned over Bundy, but I think folks have tended to swing to the extremes in valuing him dating back to his first full summer as a pro.

Maybe folks are hard-wired to deal with uncertainty in set ways. But it seems like there are few middle grounds with prospects. I suppose I'm guilty of that sometimes. It's ceiling or failure.

Archived