Fangraphs' Jeff Zimmerman's scouting reports on Bundy and Harvey 3/16

Frobby

Maybe folks are hard-wired to deal with uncertainty in set ways. But it seems like there are few middle grounds with prospects. I suppose I'm guilty of that sometimes. It's ceiling or failure.

It's a difficult situation because the vast majority of fans don't really ever see these prospects play, and are forced to rely on second hand accounts from the media (and the vast majority of the media is inconsistent at best, crushingly lacking at worst, in properly conveying information about prospects). To make things even more troubling, we're getting to a point where even some of the usually reliable media members are falling off big time in the quality of coverage.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a difficult situation because the vast majority of fans don't really ever see these prospects play, and are forced to rely on second hand accounts from the media (and the vast majority of the media is inconsistent at best, crushingly lacking at worst, in properly conveying information about prospects). To make things even more troubling, we're getting to a point where even some of the usually reliable media members are falling off big time in the quality of coverage.

The vast majority of fans, even if they saw the prospects play, would not be able to make educated judgments as to whose skills would translate into professional baseball. I certainly include myself in that group. Heck, it's even hard for the professionals to do it.

The vast majority of fans, even if they saw the prospects play, would not be able to make educated judgments as to whose skills would translate into professional baseball. I certainly include myself in that group. Heck, it's even hard for the professionals to do it.

I'm in that group.

I really enjoy watching these prospects play when I do get the chance, and I always underevaluate age.

To make things even more troubling, we're getting to a point where even some of the usually reliable media members are falling off big time in the quality of coverage.

That is because the media market and it's focus have changed completely over the last decade. And all the skills they acquired are now irrelevant. And they have reputations to uphold.

I just think it might be a good idea to remember in the future that prospects really are prospects. Oriole fans here have overvalued them for years.......most of them pitchers. Often times, one in the hand really is worth two in the bush.

Right, but a lot of times the stuff being written is just flat out inaccurate (velocity, power, defense, etc.).

I'm in that group.

In the late '90s, my son's college team was playing at Temple, so I went up to Philly for the game. A buddy of mine who had pitched briefly in the majors and was a scout for the Braves came along. After the game, the one guy who had caught his interest was a kid who I thought looked like he didn't even belong on the field. In fact, he booted the one ball hit to him. I thought he was terrible. And two years later, that kid was drafted.

Most of us have no idea what we're looking at.

I just think it might be a good idea to remember in the future that prospects really are prospects. Oriole fans here have overvalued them for years.......most of them pitchers. Often times' date=' one in the hand really is worth two in the bush.[/quote']

The ones in the hand age and decline. There always need to be two in the bush. It is like the old advertising adage. "Half of your advertising budget is completely wasted. No one can tell you which half."

I just think it might be a good idea to remember in the future that prospects really are prospects. Oriole fans here have overvalued them for years.......most of them pitchers. Often times' date=' one in the hand really is worth two in the bush.[/quote']

Except that you can't consistently win without a bunch of young players.

Archived