Baseball America: 2014 International Spending Per Team

weams

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that neither of the Orioles two Cuban signings are included. Pitcher Lazaro Leyva and outfielder Elier Leyva were signed for $725,000 and $180,000. Add them in and we jump up to $1.885 million, $5,000 behind the Padres for 26th place. Very disappointing nonetheless. At the very least, if they weren't going to spend the money, they could have traded have traded their International Bonus Pool slots to other teams that were going to spend in exchange for prospects.

The funny thing is, the Orioles have improved in this department and they're still at the bottom.

Another thing I notice is how many playoff contenders are in the bottom half (2.5 mil and below):

Baltimore

Detroit

Cleveland

Kansas City

LA (AL)

LA (NL)

Oakland

Pittsburgh

Saint Louis

San Francisco

Washington

The bottom half frankly looks a lot better than the top half. Is international spending overrated? Or is it that struggling teams coincide with developing players, including international prospects?

Don't know which is worse the Yankees at close to 18 M or the O's at close to a M.

The Yankees decided that this was the year that they were going to go way over the International cap and sign absolutely everybody and will be prevented from signing anyone over $300k for the next two years.

Yet another example of how frustrating it is to be an O's fan and season ticket holder. Is this organization doing everything within their financial structure to put the best possible product on the field? Is this organization doing everything they can to have the best minor league system? I say NO. Yet again the question needs to be asked. Where is the money going?

Yet another example of how frustrating it is to be an O's fan and season ticket holder. Is this organization doing everything within their financial structure to put the best possible product on the field? Is this organization doing everything they can to have the best minor league system? I say NO. Yet again the question needs to be asked. Where is the money going?

We all know the answer to that. *sigh*

I've often wondered why more isn't done on the international level with the Asian and Latino players. We could get them on the cheap with some productive years and stay away from the dreaded free agency that so many seem to hate.

Oh well.

MSK

After the crazy spending Yankees there's not much of a differential from top to bottom. Bashing the Orioles over this is ludicrous before knowing how effective it is. The As aren't exactly dummies. I'd like to see the distribution of player signings by each team. In other words, are these $6mil or so being spent on the the latest hyped player, or a mix of several. Also, I'm skeptical on the effectiveness of this kind of spending in the first place. So are the Orioles and Athletics the dumbest or smartest teams when it comes to this kind of spending? Know one can say for sure until the evidence compiled.

After the crazy spending Yankees there's not much of a differential from top to bottom. Bashing the Orioles over this is ludicrous before knowing how effective it is. The As aren't exactly dummies. I'd like to see the distribution of player signings by each team. In other words, are these $6mil or so being spent on the the latest hyped player, or a mix of several. Also, I'm skeptical on the effectiveness of this kind of spending in the first place. So are the Orioles and Athletics the dumbest or smartest teams when it comes to this kind of spending? Know one can say for sure until the evidence compiled.[/quote

We have a great manager ( the best we have had since Earl) and a good general manager ( who would rather be in Toronto). You really think that ownership is doing everything they can in terms of signing, drafting, and producing players in order to become the best organization in baseball? As a fan that is my expectation of ownership. If you are not in it to become the best organization in baseball please sell the team.

I'd say "let's see what Dan Duquette can produce" before we criticize, but it appears our international spend has not taken a step backward under DD.

I think the value of the international market is at the bottom of the chain, but it sure would be nice to be taking a few flyers on two or three more $400k-$500k guys than we do.

On the surface, this is really disappointing news IMO (especially given arguments in other threads about whether or not our FO is making $50M or $80M between MASN and the Os). Coupled with our low 2014 draft spend, this is not the emphasis on prospect accumulation I believe DD promised when he took over.

The other teams on the bottom of that list like OAK, KC, PIT, LA, etc have shown a willingness to invest Internationally in the past -- often ranking near the top in International spending.

The Os seem to be the only team that perennially ranks near the bottom.

I would like to see a list of all MLB players with their initial signing bonus. A list of the top 100 international signing bonuses would be nice as well. And yes I would like to see the Orioles spend more however getting upset about not spending huge sums on signing bonuses for 16 year old isn't something I can endorse.

I would like to see a list of all MLB players with their initial signing bonus. A list of the top 100 international signing bonuses would be nice as well. And yes I would like to see the Orioles spend more however getting upset about not spending huge sums on signing bonuses for 16 year old isn't something I can endorse.

Go to this thread and post #4. There is definitely some big money being spent on players that never make it.

Archived