2007 ACC Tournament Thread

Mackus

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
State knocks off UVA now. Wow did they look good doing it too. Just about every game has been great entertainment to watch.

State have to be wondering what if Atsur was healthy all year.

The 2 big guys down low and Atsur are all good players...And they have some decent role players as well.

No question. Kostner looked great, and some of the supporting players were at the top of their games.

I'd say it looks like the winner of tomorrow's first semifinal will end up winning it all, but since just about dang near everything has gone against conventional wisdom, I won't.

Especially on a third straight day of playing, I just can't see it. Plus, when you outscore someone by 22 points in the second half, after playing in OT the night before, you have to be running ragged.

Good points, and it's not like Virginia Tech had a tough game tonight. I'm very impressed with both of State's wins this weekend, but it ends for them on Saturday.

Well, first of all, let;s say I had a little less fun today than yesterday.

Carolina looked awesome in the first game, and BC looked really sluggish in the first 30 minutes against Miami. Nice job to come back and get an OT win.

Then comes the Virginia-State game. We are up 14 at halftime. We were rolling. Sean was hitting everything. We were gettting turnovers and running. God. 14. 14. 14. 14. 14. at the half.

Everything fell apart in the second half. NC State ran that pick-back screen-back cut that got them open lay ups. When they didnt have the open lay-up, they drained 3's. They shot 74 percent from the field in the second half. 74 percent. Good god.

Anyways, even with all of that, with 2 minutes left, we are down 2, and Mamadi Diane gets an offensive rebound and hits the jumper in the lane and gets fouled to tie it up! He goes to the line to go for the lead!! We are going bonkers in our section. Then. We see the refs walking the other way. And we finally realize. They called an offensive foul on Diane. Absolute horst sh!t. I hate when people complain about refs in games. I hate it. There were a ton of reasons for us to have not won tonight, but even with all of that, we should have had Diane at the line to go up 1 with under two minutes to go. Absolutely crushing. Then Grant came down and scored and it was over after that. God. I'm still hurting from this one. Up 14 at the half.

Anyways, we are probably gonna be a 7 seed now, a 6 if we are lucky. Semis tomorrow, Carolina-BC and State-Tech. At this point, I'm rooting for State to go ahead and take the whole thing and get the ACC another team in the tournament.

Somebody give me a reason not to absolutely expect to lose our first round NCAA game. Please. Cuz I can't find one.

Carolina looked awesome in the first game, and BC looked really sluggish in the first 30 minutes against Miami. Nice job to come back and get an OT win.

Then comes the Virginia-State game. We are up 14 at halftime. We were rolling. Sean was hitting everything. We were gettting turnovers and running. God. 14. 14. 14. 14. 14. at the half.

Everything fell apart in the second half. NC State ran that pick-back screen-back cut that got them open lay ups. When they didnt have the open lay-up, they drained 3's. They shot 74 percent from the field in the second half. 74 percent. Good god.

Anyways, even with all of that, with 2 minutes left, we are down 2, and Mamadi Diane gets an offensive rebound and hits the jumper in the lane and gets fouled to tie it up! He goes to the line to go for the lead!! We are going bonkers in our section. Then. We see the refs walking the other way. And we finally realize. They called an offensive foul on Diane. Absolute horst sh!t. I hate when people complain about refs in games. I hate it. There were a ton of reasons for us to have not won tonight, but even with all of that, we should have had Diane at the line to go up 1 with under two minutes to go. Absolutely crushing. Then Grant came down and scored and it was over after that. God. I'm still hurting from this one. Up 14 at the half.

Anyways, we are probably gonna be a 7 seed now, a 6 if we are lucky. Semis tomorrow, Carolina-BC and State-Tech. At this point, I'm rooting for State to go ahead and take the whole thing and get the ACC another team in the tournament.

Somebody give me a reason not to absolutely expect to lose our first round NCAA game. Please. Cuz I can't find one.

The announcers didn't expect that call either, and Leitao was furious. I think you guys will win at least one in the Tourney. We'll re analyze when the brackets come out and we know where everybody is.

What I really wanted to ask you was how have the crowds been. I can only assume that Carolina brought a ton of people, as did State because they usually do as well. Any other teams well represented down there?

When I watched the play live, I thought it was a foul on Diane. Even said it to my roommate. Watching the one replay they showed in slo mo, I was a little less certain. But my first reaction was that it was an offensive foul.

Besides, they more than made up for it with a gift and a half given to Singletary on one of his three-point field goals that didn't go shortly after. He flopped like new coke and still ended up at the line for 3.

As much as I think Virginia had a great year...I am picking them to lose in the first round. One of the worst road teams in the nation. Could they surprise, sure. Will they? Common sense says no

When I watched the play live, I thought it was a foul on Diane. Even said it to my roommate. Watching the one replay they showed in slo mo, I was a little less certain. But my first reaction was that it was an offensive foul.

Besides, they more than made up for it with a gift and a half given to Singletary on one of his three-point field goals that didn't go shortly after. He flopped like new coke and still ended up at the line for 3.

I also thought it ws an offensive foul. If I were a UVA fan, I'd probably see it differently. But, as a fan of neither team, I thought the right call was made.

I EXPECT UVA to win. All of the haters will be piling on them for not winning on the road all year, losing in the ACC tourney, yada yada. Leitao is a good coach, and they will have finally learned from the experience of losing and how bad it feels. Convincing? :002_ssmile:

The announcers didn't expect that call either, and Leitao was furious. I think you guys will win at least one in the Tourney. We'll re analyze when the brackets come out and we know where everybody is.

What I really wanted to ask you was how have the crowds been. I can only assume that Carolina brought a ton of people, as did State because they usually do as well. Any other teams well represented down there?

Carolina has, as expected, been the most represented team. They have a ton of fans down here. Duke did as well, but they seemed to have disappeared for some reason;)

State has a good amount, and Florida State had a good turnout seeing as they are the defacto home team. We had a really good turnout as well. Our section was rocking in the first half. Maryland also had a really loud section as well, but again, they were gone by Thursday night.

Miami was pathetic. The tournament was in Florida, and they had maybe 50 fans there. I guess they care more about spring football practice, but to have the tournament in Florida and have that kind of showing was embarrasing.

Georgia Tech, Wake, and Virginia Tech had decent showings. Clemson not so much. BC, considering they still don't get the full allotment of tickets until next year, had a surprisingly strong turnout. They had a group of students in the 300 section (maybe 50 or 60 of them) that stood and cheered and chanted the whole game. Louder than the entire rest of their section.

Anyways, I expect it to be about 50 percent Carolina fans, and 50 percent other fans today. So, everyone will be rooting against the favorite Heels today, and rooting for the underdog WolfPack in the later game.

I'm rooting for a Carolina-State final, because a) it'll get rid of the new ACC teams, b) that would give State a chance to get in the NCAA's and give the ACC 8 bids and c) my brother is a Heels fan and seeing as MD and UVa are out, one of the teams we came down here to see might as well be playing on Sunday.

I EXPECT UVA to win. All of the haters will be piling on them for not winning on the road all year, losing in the ACC tourney, yada yada. Leitao is a good coach, and they will have finally learned from the experience of losing and how bad it feels. Convincing? :002_ssmile:

LOL. Not really bob, but I really appreciate the effort. I'll be telling myself the same things all week.

Archived