Rangers have claimed Rule 5 pick, Logan Verrett

xian4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure that Garcia will make it the whole way either. But he beat out Logan for one reason or another.

Ceiling. If they are both seen as relievers over the long-term, Garcia has a higher ceiling. We have players in our minors like Wright, Wilson, Davies and even Givens that are likely to be as good or better than Verrett.

Yep. He could be a back end starter for them or a bullpen piece. He's a ML pitcher. I just don't think we'll miss him because we have a lot of guys like him and a lot of guys with higher ceilings. I think his numbers this spring came almost exclusively in the late innings against AA and AAA players. Garcia is a better reliever right now, IMO.

Few seem to have caught this. He got hit more recently when he faced more starters. Still liked him, but just think we needed to see more. Good fit in Texas.

I'm not sure that Garcia will make it the whole way either. But he beat out Logan for one reason or another.

I sure hope Garcia makes it, not only because we lost Verett but mostly because I enjoy watching Buck and DD add depth to the organization.

At the end of the day, you kind of have to respect the process. It's a fantastic way of mining for the undervalued or under-appreciated guys. Managing the 40 man must be tough but the rule 5 is a truly neat way of making that process even more interesting.

I think Verrett was made more expendable by the fact that our "6-starters-for-5-spots" situation didn't resolve itself by someone getting hurt, or one of the guys who wasn't a lock to get a job performing miserably.

Starting the season with 4 primary starters, a 5th starter who might get skipped a few times in April, and Gausman as a long man in the pen, we didn't have room for another long man.

As it is, our long man from the past few years, TJ Macfarland, is on shaky ground for making the team IMO.

They are both better pitchers than Brian Matusz... but here we are with Brian Matusz on the 25 man roster and sucking down 3.2 million. How is this good roster management?

This is simply just not true. As much as I hate Matusz for giving up that Moustakaus HR in the ALCS he is clearly better than both. Matusz had a huge spring. Hell Matusz could be in the rotation next year. He'll be alright. Plus you gotta always cut him some slack for what he did in the wild card playoff game.

Disappointed in losing Verrett, but the team can still keep Garcia if Webb is DFAed and Gausman and McFarland are sent to the minors.

The Orioles are a contending team. They are going to field the best team possible. Verrett had a better chance of sticking than Garcia,

which is why I think they tried to slip him through waivers. I seriously doubt that Showalter and DD are going to weaken a

VERY STRONG bullpen by inserting Jason Garcia, who in 5 minor league seasons has not risen above A ball mainly because of erratic

control. A 96 mph fastball is worthless if you can't throw strikes with it.

The Orioles are a contending team. They are going to field the best team possible. Verrett had a better chance of sticking than Garcia,

which is why I think they tried to slip him through waivers. I seriously doubt that Showalter and DD are going to weaken a

VERY STRONG bullpen by inserting Jason Garcia, who in 5 minor league seasons has not risen above A ball mainly because of erratic

control. A 96 mph fastball is worthless if you can't throw strikes with it.

There is a lot of flawed logic here. He will be the seventh man. The seventh the man never determines the season. And if Verrett was the better bet to stick, he wouldn't have been waived first.

This is simply just not true. As much as I hate Matusz for giving up that Moustakaus HR in the ALCS he is clearly better than both. Matusz had a huge spring. Hell Matusz could be in the rotation next year. He'll be alright. Plus you gotta always cut him some slack for what he did in the wild card playoff game.

Matusz will not be in the rotation next year.

Archived