Rangers have claimed Rule 5 pick, Logan Verrett

xian4

I'm not sure that Garcia will make it the whole way either. But he beat out Logan for one reason or another.

It seems an odd choice by DD, to try to send Verrett through waivers before Garcia. Velo rules I guess... :noidea:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With relievers, you're looking for someone with an out pitch. We know Garcia has one, but does Verrett have one? And obviously Verrett wasn't going to be considered for a spot in the starting rotation here. I thought the O's made the obvious move here.

They are both better pitchers than Brian Matusz... but here we are with Brian Matusz on the 25 man roster and sucking down 3.2 million. How is this good roster management?

Putting aside your points about the money and good roster management, I disagree that either Verrett or Garcia is likely to be a better pitcher this year than Brian Matusz. Garcia has good stuff and a lot of upside, but face it, he hasn't pitched above high A and he's likely to struggle against major league competition. Keeping him is a long-term play, not a play for this year. As to Verrett, he's as ready for the majors as he'll ever be, but I doubt that a guy the Mets didn't see fit to put on their 40-man roster is going to be as good as Matusz.

If the goal is to win in 2015, Matusz is a better choice than the other two. And by the way, he's had an excellent spring -- 1.88 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 0 BB vs. 12 K's.

If the Mets were unwilling to put Verrett on their 40 man roster in December, it's not unreasonable to hope that they might not want to do so now either. If they took him back, he could be optioned to the minors, but he would still be on the 40 man Major League roster. If they didn't have room for him back then, there remains a chance that they don't have room for him now, especially after making any off season acquisitions. So, what Roch wrote is not as silly as RZNJ makes it out to be.

If the Mets were unwilling to put Verrett on their 40 man roster in December, it's not unreasonable to hope that they might not want to do so now either. If they took him back, he could be optioned to the minors, but he would still be on the 40 man Major League roster. If they didn't have room for him back then, there remains a chance that they don't have room for him now, especially after making any off season acquisitions. So, what Roch wrote is not as silly as RZNJ makes it out to be.

This is incorrect, as I understand it. If a Rule 5 player clears waivers and is offered back to the original team, that team does NOT have to add him to the 40 man roster. That is why most Rule 5 players end up going back to the original team.

They are both better pitchers than Brian Matusz... but here we are with Brian Matusz on the 25 man roster and sucking down 3.2 million. How is this good roster management?

People inside the organization say you are wrong.

It's not silly if he has to be added to the 40 man roster. I don't recall Steve Johnson being added to the 40 man when we got him back from the Giants. I question if Verrett would have to be added to the Mets 40 man roster.

This has been verified, Once a rule five player passes through waivers and is returned to the team he was claimed from, he is not on the 40 man roster.

This has been verified, Once a rule five player passes through waivers and is returned to the team he was claimed from, he is not on the 40 man roster.

Thanks, I didn't realize that and stand corrected. So it does make much more sense for the Mets to take him back.

The Rangers didn't waste any time. Verrett started against his former team, the Mets, tonight. 2.1 IP 1 run. BTW, Garcia was the best I've seen him this spring. 94-96 with a more explosive fastball and the kid has shown good command of his late breaking slider all spring. Not only do I think he's better than Matusz right now, I predict, assuming good health, that he's getting high leverage innings by the 2nd half of the year.

Garcia has looked better and better since returning from the minor injury that sidelined him for a short while.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived