Ba Top 100

Lt Melmo

That's what I like to see. Five of the top 100. I think Tillman will be much higher once this season is over. Also good to see Reimold on there.

Where are all of these great untouchables that the Cubs fans say they have. I saw Soto on there and then - 82 SEAN GALLAGHER and 75 TYLER COLVIN. Where are the great Veal, Ceda, etc.

Need to add Vitters and Fukudome who are in the 30's/40's in the Rankings.

I might think you would like to ask this question instead. How did we trade three guys for 13 and still have the same number of guys in BA top 100 as the supposedly terrible Cubs farm system.

Now to be fair, one of those guys is Fukudome. Still the fact remains is that the Cubs , (not counting Fukudome) have 4 in the top 100 as compared to the O's who have made three large trades to get prospects?

Hm......

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might think you would like to ask this question instead. How did we trade three guys for 13 and still have the same number of guys in BA top 100 as the supposedly terrible Cubs farm system.

Now to be fair, one of those guys is Fukudome. Still the fact remains is that the Cubs , (not counting Fukudome) have 4 in the top 100 as compared to the O's who have made three large trades to get prospects?

Hm......

The best player we got in each trade (Jones, Scott) were not eligible for these lists.

And, as I'm sure you are aware, we haven't traded Roberts yet, so we've only traded two guys for 10.

So, among what was in our system prior to last year's draft, we only have Riemold and Liz on this list. As much as I like Joe Jordan, that's a little disaappointing - especially as Liz pre-dates Jordan - as only Reimold made the list from his first two drafts.

Hopefully, some guys who struggled or dealt with injury like Rowell, Snyder, Erbe and Beato can re-gain their status. If a few of these types do regain their status, and I expect they will, we could easily move into a top 10 system next year.

Hm......

Because our minor league system has been WAY down for years. We are just now starting to build it back up. I have never said that we have a better system than anyone. All I was saying is that the players that they have as "untouchable" (Except Colvin at NUMBER 75!!) aren't even on this list and the 1 that they are offering is 82. I think it just shows how bad their package really is that they are offering.

Hm......

The O's have only made 2 trades, not 3. Unless you are counting last year's Trachsel deadline deal, which ws never going to bring back a top 100 prospect.

Even though the 2 deals have yielded only two top 100 prospects (Tillman and Patton), they have yielded several young major leaguers (Jones, Albers, Sarfate) and other minor leaguers with good potential (Costanzo, Butler, Mickolio) along with 2 proven major leaguers (Scott and Sherrill). I have no complaints.

So, among what was in our system prior to last year's draft, we only have Riemold and Liz on this list. As much as I like Joe Jordan, that's a little disaappointing - especially as Liz pre-dates Jordan - as only Reimold made the list from his first two drafts.

Hopefully, some guys who struggled or dealt with injury like Rowell, Snyder, Erbe and Beato can re-gain their status. If a few of these types do regain their status, and I expect they will, we could easily move into a top 10 system next year.

This is a very good point IMHO. I have always been one to praise Jordan, but I think we need to have a few more up there over the next 1/2 seasons. Really disappointed that Rowell isn't on the list.

Hm......

Fukudome being called a prospect is a joke. Also, 3 guys that would be on that list are currently going to be starting in CF, RF, and probaly our #2 or 3 starter.

Also, solid years from guys like Arietta, Rowell, Snyder, Erbe, Bascom, Spoone, and the O's could easily have 8-10 plus whoever we draft this year in the top 100. Add to that, Wieters should be a top 5 prospect going into 09.

This is a very good point IMHO. I have always been one to praise Jordan, but I think we need to have a few more up there over the next 1/2 seasons. Really disappointed that Rowell isn't on the list.

The list doesn't matter. What matters is how Rowell and others turn out. It's not like these lists are some kind of Official Certification that guys will or won't be good. In any team's system, most guys won't make it. Would it be nice to see lists that say the O's farm is better off than everybody else's? Sure, it would be nice to read that. But all that really matters is that we have good guys who actually make it. It's completely routine and normal for highly ranked guys to not make it, and for not-highly-ranked guys to become stars. Both things happen all the time. That's what's normal.

Fixing the supply of talent means 2 things: drafting well and developing them properly once you've got them. You can't fix it overnight, nobody can, even with big trades. The draft talent's been on the upswing for a while, then AM added a couple guys via trades, and now he's gotta fix the player-development system that these guys are in. This is not a 1-year job, this is a 5-year job. AM's trying to use trades to speed it up by a couple years. But it's still gonna take a while. So far, so good. He's been here less than 1 measly year. He's done way more in that tiny amount of time than most new-GM's do. He's certainly done more in his first less-than-a-year than his Daddy did, and his Dad is the guy who built the O's into a great franchise in the first place.

Fixing the supply of talent means 2 things: drafting well and developing them properly once you've got them. You can't fix it overnight, nobody can, even with big trades. The draft talent's been on the upswing for a while, then AM added a couple guys via trades, and now he's gotta fix the player-development system that these guys are in. This is not a 1-year job, this is a 5-year job. AM's trying to use trades to speed it up by a couple years. But it's still gonna take a while. So far, so good. He's been here less than 1 measly year. He's done way more in that tiny amount of time than most new-GM's do. He's certainly done more in his first less-than-a-year than his Daddy did, and his Dad is the guy who built the O's into a great franchise in the first place.

You are correct about this. I'm not sure it takes 5 years (we weren't starting from the bottom of the barrel), but it certainly takes more than 1-2 years.

You are correct about this. I'm not sure it takes 5 years (we weren't starting from the bottom of the barrel), but it certainly takes more than 1-2 years.

Well, that means convincing people that Flanny did some things right. I agree, but good luck with that ;-)

Either way, my take is that it's basically a 5-year job, and AM is trying to use trades to shrink it to 3 years. His Dad had a head start too, with Paul Richards signing some good guys (like Brooks and a few P's), and his Dad's team should have gone to the WS after 6 years... but then the O's out-folded everybody except the Phillies, and it wound up taking 8 years. I don't see anybody criticizing him for that, because he did it the right way, so it wasn't a flash-in-the-pan success, it was success that kept on succeeding. That's the main thing I care about. I don't care much exactly what year they get good, I care that they stay good once they get good. I'm in it for the long haul, so the exact timetable isn't the main thing I care about.

I love where our system is headed but man does it stink to see the Yankees with 4 in the top 50 (if I counted correctly). The rays system is obviously amazing and the Sox system is nothing to sneeze at. We have made some good steps but have a long way to go.

Yep....Which is why it was so important to rebuild and also why it is important to land Tex...Need elite guys when they are there.

Archived