Will Ubaldo post an ERA under 4.00 this year?

Frobby

Will Ubaldo post an ERA under 4.00 this season'  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ubaldo post an ERA under 4.00 this season'

• Yep. Last year was just a hiccup.
    • Nope. He's not very good.

I'm going on record -- Ubaldo is going to have a pretty good season for us. Maybe not as good as his 2013 season, but a big improvement over last year. I say he'll post an ERA under 4.00.

Posting a poll so others can weigh in. I'm sure there will be many skeptics.

Absolutely, under 4.00. Ubaldo is throwing strikes. Today, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts in 4 innings. :clap:

He was interviewed after his appearance. Gary Thorne asked him whether, as the 5th starter, would he spend time in the bullpen during the time when his turn is skipped. He reiterated that he'll pitch in whatever role Buck assigns him to.

Nope. He's not very good.

Sometimes. Often enough. Other times he's lights out.

Actually a simple no is closer to my true feelings because I'm rooting for him to be successful, but that wasn't a choice.

It'll be close. I'm thinking 3.70 ERA.

Remember last year he start spring training late. He was with a new organization. He had what...4 different catchers? (Wieters, Clevenger, Joseph, Hundley). New pitching coach. New manager. Goofy mechanics.

He'll bounceback and have a solid year for us.

He's one of my least favorite Orioles pitchers of all time. I cannot stand guys who walk a ton of batters, and I hate the fact that he has a pretty big contract. I also don't see great "stuff" out of him, even when he is on his game. I guess he's got a deceptive delivery, because his velocity is far from what it once was. Ubaldo seems like a really nice guy, and I'll never root against one of our own. I just happen to think that a 4.25 ERA is about the best I can expect from him this year.

From the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez fan club: :cool::clap:

I used to not like him as a pitcher; I knew nothing about his personal character. But I tend to be drawn to those who are struggling. I was curious when he was demoted to the pen -- I wondered how he would take this. I noted his uncomplaining demeanor. I remember that he came out of the pen during a rain-delayed game and he was pretty good. Instead of complaining about his demotion, he was quoted in the Sun, making some rather upbeat comments about pitching from the pen, wanting to help the team. Then there was a completely disastrous outing where he loaded the bases, mostly by walking batters. Buck took him out after he walked in a run. I remember sighing in disgust -- this guy is terrible; Os management paid $50 M for this guy???

However, character really does count, at least in my eyes. I remember not being all that happy with signing a slugger with such a history of PEDs, such as Nelson Cruz. But Cruz turned out to be a model citizen; I'm sure that he was being tested up the wazoo, but he always was clean and didn't complain. A player isn't always going to be of pristine behavior. They are human like the rest of us.

Back to the main subject of this thread: Most of what happened is history. He got the spot start for the division clincher and righted himself during the game. Afterward, he was quoted about all of the coaching he received and it was clear that he hadn't sat back in the bullpen feeling sorry for himself. Instead, even when he wasn't being used in actual games, he had some bullpen sessions, trying to clean up his mechanics so he could become a decent pitcher. He wasn't used during the ALDS, but was seen wildly cheering when Delmon hit his base-clearing double to win the 2nd game. He was a great cheerleader. He was left off of the ALCS roster entirely, not something that usually happens to a $50M player. One of the sportswriters tried and succeeded in creating an issue out of his having gone home to take care of a family matter. He was widely ridiculed during the off-season and into ST. A few fans went to his Facebook page and wrote negative things about him. Even the Sun's review of the Orioles that I read today has nothing good to say about him, only reminding fans of the bad season he had last year and nothing at all about his strong performances during ST. All of the other players, even Chris Davis with all of his struggles last season, had positive reports -- with this one exception. Fortunately, a more recent article in the Sun discussed his hard work with the coaches and the results, the strong pitching he showed during recent ST games.

So I can't help rooting for my man Ubaldo. I have my orange-colored glasses on. He's going to have an ERA less than 4.00. :)

Archived