Dan's Strategy This Offseason

Aristotelian

The problem is the guy closest to Zobrist now might be Pearce ...and the O's already have him.

Jimenez over Norris is based on their career to date. Better ERA+, better FIP, higher ceiling.

The budget is 120 million because the guy that owns the team says it's 120 million.

My dad sure could have afforded to give me more then 3 dollars a week allowance when I was growing up, but it didn't happen. Who are we to tell someone how much they can make off of their investment?

So now we're supposed to take Peter Angelos' word for it? I completely understand your point about money but I still don't trust Angelos

I respectfully disagree about Jimenez. He has been a below average pitcher since 2010 with the exception of July-September 2013. At this point in their careers Norris has better velocity, better stuff and better control. Last year Jimenez has 25 more walks than Norris despite pitching 40 less innings. Norris has gotten better over the past few years and Jimenez has gotten worse. I can't think of a single thing that Jimenez does better. Hopefully Jimenez bounces back this year and can make a contribution to either help the team or so that the Orioles can trade away his contract

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now we're supposed to take Peter Angelos' word for it? I completely understand your point about money but I still don't trust Angelos

I respectfully disagree about Jimenez. He has been a below average pitcher since 2010 with the exception of July-September 2013. At this point in their careers Norris has better velocity, better stuff and better control. Last year Jimenez has 25 more walks than Norris despite pitching 40 less innings. Norris has gotten better over the past few years and Jimenez has gotten worse. I can't think of a single thing that Jimenez does better. Hopefully Jimenez bounces back this year and can make a contribution to either help the team or so that the Orioles can trade away his contract

What trust?

He says this is how much Dan can spend then Dan spends it.

Pretty sure all the teams work that way.

Now do I think Dan has spent that money in the most efficient way possible this season? No. But overall he does a pretty good job.

I said a guy like Ben Zobrist. (BTW, Zobrist changed teams in the offseason via a trade)

You would rather have Jimenez in the rotation over Norris based on what? Spring Training/Practice? Come on. ST means absolutely nothing

Why is the budget $120 million? The team who got the raw end of the MASN deal, which is the same team the Orioles are literally taking revenue from, has a payroll that is over $40 million more than the Orioles. How can you explain that?

Who is a guy like Zobrist? He isn't an easily comparable player. The closest person to Zobrist is probably Pearce.

What trust?

Now do I think Dan has spent that money in the most efficient way possible this season? No. But overall he does a pretty good job.

You're right, DD has done a good job since he took over the team. It is worth mentioning that he inherited the core of the team so it will be interesting to see how next offseason goes and how he retools the roster. I think that it's imperative that Bundy and Harvey pan out

What trust?

Herman does not understand that a budget has nothing to do with profit or income.

Who is a guy like Zobrist? He isn't an easily comparable player. The closest person to Zobrist is probably Pearce.

My point was that the Orioles' lineup could have really used a guy that has good at bats, can reliably foul off tough pitches, moves runners over and has a good eye. Basically what Brian Roberts did before he signed his $40 million contract. Zobrist is the first name that came to mind and to be fair he is much more proven than Pearce.

My point was that the Orioles' lineup could have really used a guy that has good at bats, can reliably foul off tough pitches, moves runners over and has a good eye.

Why? that is not the way games are won. Not at all. It's a thought back before pitchers became dominant. It's not true any longer. Length of at bat means nothing.

Why? that is not the way games are won. Not at all. It's a thought back before pitchers became dominant. It's not true any longer. Length of at bat means nothing.

smh. Are you suggesting that having a good eye, understanding the strike zone and reliably moving runners over is obsolete? I'm not specifically talking about the length of an at bat. Again, my point is that I wish the Orioles had balanced out their lineup a little bit so that they aren't as reliant on the home run.

smh. Are you suggesting that having a good eye, understanding the strike zone and reliably moving runners over is obsolete? I'm not specifically talking about the length of an at bat. Again, my point is that I wish the Orioles had balanced out their lineup a little bit so that they aren't as reliant on the home run.

Runs scored and runs allowed are the operands. If you believe otherwise I suggest you look at what has been the important factors since 2012. Looking at pitches with the new environ where bullpens are better than starters is no longer significant.

Archived