Webb DFA, Lavarnway Back

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles have selected the contract of CA Ryan Lavarnway and designated RHP Ryan Webb for assignment.</p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">April 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p>The Orioles have selected the contract of CA Ryan Lavarnway and designated RHP Ryan Webb for assignment.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p>The Orioles have selected the contract of CA Ryan Lavarnway and designated RHP Ryan Webb for assignment.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My take: Webb will skip thru waivers, collect his $2.75M and sign with another team at league minimum, which will come off O's commitment</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

I think so. I guess they feel comfortable losing him with what is in AAA. Personally, I would have sent Gausman down to pitch every 5th day and kept Webb for the time being, but not a biggie either way.

We have four starting infielders and one on the bench, Flaherty.

We have three starting outfielders and none on the bench (til Davis returns).

We have one starting catcher and two on the bench.

What is up with that? Why? If Clevenger isn't the backup to Joseph, why not just option him to AAA and promote a more useful option? Are they worried that if somone like Janish or Bourbon was purchased that we couldn't pass them through waivers when Davis or Hardy returned? I can only assume that's the case.

Let's hope no fielders stub a toe today!

Does this mean that Lavarnway would have to go through waivers to go back to the minors when Wieters comes back? If so, bad news for Caleb Joseph.

I don't think Caleb is in any danger of going to the minors. He will do the majority of the catching while Wieters is out. Lavarnway will catch a few games, probably not hit and there is a good chance he can pass through waivers and be outrighted to Norfolk. Lavarnway will have the opportunity to become a free agency when when outrighted because he has been outrighted before. The O's have Clevenger, Perez and Ward. I think Arencibia is on the minor league DL.

Eh, I kind of doubt it's bad news for Caleb. He's got the backup job to Wieters secured pretty well. Lavarnway would probably make it through waivers, honestly.

Agreed. Lavarnway hit under .200 during the spring, hasn't hit at the major league level, and is a below average defender. I don't think Caleb needs to worry.

What is up with that? Why? If Clevenger isn't the backup to Joseph, why not just option him to AAA and promote a more useful option? Are they worried that if somone like Janish or Bourbon was purchased that we couldn't pass them through waivers when Davis or Hardy returned? I can only assume that's the case.

Cabrera and Flahterty can both play OF.

If Jones, De Aza, and Cabrera collide in the first inning and all three have to leave the game:

- Flaherty moves to SS

- Clevenger plays 1B

- Pearce moves to CF

- Snider moves to LF

- Young moves to RF

- Having put the DH in the game, the pitcher bats

Tillman strikes out 27.

Archived