Webb DFA, Lavarnway Back

TonySoprano

I just don't understand what DD is doing with the bullpen?

I'm looking at the career numbers and I'd say Webb is a better pitcher than Matusz. We signed Wright making Matusz expendable, and yet he is STILL on the 25 man roster and we continue to lose pitchers that are better than him (Verrett and now Webb). Seems DD overvalued his bullpen pieces and can't trade them and now we are going to have to eat some contracts. Oh well at least we are not being cheap pursuing bullpen depth, just seems that we are releasing the wrong guy.

Shocking that you post something about Matusz. What has been pointed out to you several times is that Matusz is not nearly as bad as you make him seem. And he does have value in his role. Webb was pointless on this roster.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Jones, De Aza, and Cabrera collide in the first inning and all three have to leave the game:

- Flaherty moves to SS

- Clevenger plays 1B

- Pearce moves to CF

- Snider moves to LF

- Young moves to RF

- Having put the DH in the game, the pitcher bats

Tillman strikes out 27.

Some part of me wants to see 15-man rosters like they had 120 years ago. Almost everyone had to play multiple positions, including pitch, to cover for injuries and fatigue. High level sports is fun mostly because it's great players doing hard things, but it could also be fun seeing people using their skills outside of their normal comfort zone.

What if Schoop is involved in the collision too? Manny to 2B, Pearce to 3B, Snider to CF, Miguel Gonzalez to LF.

If you put Tommy Hunter in a jersey with Wigginton on the back and stick him at short it might takes some casual fans a couple innings to suspect something was wrong.

Mainly because I feel we have too many cooks in the kitchen in the bullpen and I think Gausman is better served in the minors to work on his secondary pitches. And Lavarnway stinks.

I agree with most of this. But at best, Webb is 7th on the depth chart, even with Gausman in the minors.

FWIW, I feel we're carrying way too many pitchers also. Especially with not needing a 5th starter for awhile.

Yeah, 14 when they need 11. Well 13 now. Probably still trying to trade Matusz. They were afforded the "luxury" with Hardy, Lough, and Paredes on the DL.

We have four starting infielders and one on the bench, Flaherty.

We have three starting outfielders and none on the bench (til Davis returns).

We have one starting catcher and two on the bench.

What is up with that? Why? If Clevenger isn't the backup to Joseph, why not just option him to AAA and promote a more useful option? Are they worried that if somone like Janish or Bourbon was purchased that we couldn't pass them through waivers when Davis or Hardy returned? I can only assume that's the case.

Let's hope no fielders stub a toe today!

Cabrera has shown an ability to play the OF. It is one game and they will shuffle some more.

No big deal. I trust Dan and Bucks roster shuffle.

Eh, I kind of doubt it's bad news for Caleb. He's got the backup job to Wieters secured pretty well. Lavarnway would probably make it through waivers, honestly.

I am a bit confused. If the plan is to put Lavarnway thru waivers, why would we promote him? We already passed him thru waivers and had him assigned to Norfolk. Why promote him, only to risk waivers again? What am I missing here?

I am a bit confused. If the plan is to put Lavarnway thru waivers, why would we promote him? We already passed him thru waivers and had him assigned to Norfolk. Why promote him, only to risk waivers again? What am I missing here?

I suspect Clevenger is really the odd man out.

No inside information.

Just my gut.

Play the best players you have available?

Let's say Lavarnway is up until Wieters returns. Hopefully, from that point on, we won't need a 3rd catcher again. S,o why hang onto him for an emergency that might not come when we can use him for the emergency that is already here?

Archived