Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

Snider looked horrible yesterday, and I agree that he misjudged several balls..even a couple he cuaght. That said, it's not unusual for outfielders to have issues picking up the baseball in that park. Pompei misjudged a couple balls himself last night and I believe the commentators stated that a couple outfielders may have been having issues. The throws were inexcusable though. Snider has not looked horrible until yesterday.... he hasn't looked spectacular either. Until yesterday he looked just ok/adequate imo. So, I'm just going to need to see more before reserving judgement and declaring him the worst fielder in the world that should DH for the rest of the season. He does seam more comfortable in LF.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you are entitled to it. There have been at least 4 games where Davis started at DH and Pearce played 1B in the same game. Buck loves defense. He doesn't do that if he thinks Davis is the better defender at 1B. I already explained why Davis has more total starts at 1B than Pearce.

I never said Pearce was a bad first baseman, he did very well filling in for Davis last year.

But, we just agree to disagree.

So enough of this hijack topic.

I think Travis is a good OF, that yes, has made mistakes.

He has also made some good plays.

I suspect Buck and DD did their homework before bringing him in.

Snider looked horrible yesterday, and I agree that he misjudged several balls..even a couple he cuaght. That said, it's not unusual for outfielders to have issues picking up the baseball in that park. Pompei misjudged a couple balls himself last night and I believe the commentators stated that a couple outfielders may have been having issues. The throws were inexcusable though. Snider has not looked horrible until yesterday.... he hasn't looked spectacular either. Until yesterday he looked just ok/adequate imo. So, I'm just going to need to see more before reserving judgement and declaring him the worst fielder in the world that should DH for the rest of the season.

I am with you on that score. As I said, I was surprised Snider had trouble judging balls, considering that he played quite a few games in Rodgers Centre as a Blue Jay. Of course, it's been a while.

I do not know what game is being discussed. But it does not matter. Nick would have done what he did here for 9 years, and what he is doing now in Atlanta. Play a solid RF, sometimes Gold Glove solid, and be a con- tributor every day, rarely letting his team down. And while on the topic of lack of talent on the team now, it should be seriously considered to start the rebuild in 2015 and not lose a whole year. The rest of the dis- manteling is scheduled for 2016, I understand, anyway.

Yeah it is amusing when I see comments around here criticizing Snider for not being better than Markakis. He doesn't need to be for him to be more valuable.

A forgotten point by many. Markakis is getting $11 million a year give or take. We're paying Snider approximately $2.1 million.

Not to mention, that while Markakis has a great batting average right now (.362), all but one of his hits are singles right now. While the sample size is still very small, the early returns are that the power is just not there right now.

Meanwhile, Snider still has a healthy .310 batting average. But 4 of 13 of his hits are extra-base hits or homeruns. Snider has a slightly better OPS right now (.884 to .847). I don't like that he has struck out 12 times already though.

The sample size is still tiny (89 ABs between the two). But the fact is that we really haven't seen much if any dropoff between the two. And for the money saved, if Snider is even close, it's a huge overall win for the club. Frankly, I think Snider has a very good shot at outperforming Nick.

I do not know what game is being discussed. But it does not matter. Nick would have done what he did here for 9 years, and what he is doing now in Atlanta. Play a solid RF, sometimes Gold Glove solid, and be a con- tributor every day, rarely letting his team down. And while on the topic of lack of talent on the team now, it should be seriously considered to start the rebuild in 2015 and not lose a whole year. The rest of the dis- manteling is scheduled for 2016, I understand, anyway.

Holy overreaction Batman. The team is 7-8. Not 70-80. Not even 17-18. Not even 10% of the season has been played. The pitching has been a bit of a disappointment (to put it mildly) but each starter essentially only has 3 games under their belt.

Let's at least get to Memorial Day before we start drawing such drastic conclusions.

Archived