Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

I'm not sure that every time something happens in RF a thread is necessary. Nick is gone from Baltimore and he fulfilled his obligations here. I'm not trying to pick on any posters, but as for me I wish all of our RF options the best, and Nick as well.

I would agree if there were a thread like this every day, but it's the first game of the season. It's fair to compare Snider to his Markakis after our first real look at him. Not that we can really glean anything useful after one game.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would agree if there were a thread like this every day, but it's the first game of the season. It's fair to compare Snider to his Markakis after our first real look at him. Not that we can really glean anything useful after one game.

I never was a big fan of Nick, but I have respect for him as an Orioles player. I'm not happy he is gone or anything but he is gone. I think Travis will have every opportunity to become his own player and it's going to take time. As you said "we can really glean anything useful after one game". That really is the only point I had.

Disagree. With two outs, I think they would have run on Nick too. Maybe not on Dariel Alvarez or Yasiel Puig. Nick's arm is way overrated around these parts.

Nick's arm was strong and accurate and it wasn't over rated.

Why can't you give credit where credit is due?

Nick would have made the same plays, he just would not of needed to dive and they also would not have ran home on him.
Nick dove all the time, what are you talking about?

It's impossible to know what would have happened on these plays if Nick had been out there instead of Snider. Snider admitted he misjudged the one ball a bit and that's why he had to dive. If Nick had judged it correctly, maybe he would not have needed to dive. We will never know, and frankly, I don't care. Snider made the play, that's all that matters. As to the throw to the plate, who knows if the Rays would have challenged Nick's arm, and if they had, whether he would have made a good throw? All we know is that they chose to challenge Snider's arm and he made them pay.

I was, and will continue to be, a huge Nick fan. But I'm not going to spend 2015 wondering what Nick would have done in every situation. I just want to see Snider, Pearce, De Aza and who ever else gets time in the corner OF spots do a good job. And that's what they did yesterday.

Nick's arm was strong and accurate and it wasn't over rated.

Why can't you give credit where credit is due?

Nick had a very good arm. Whether Tampa would have run on him in that situation, and whether he would have made a good throw if they did, is unknowable. I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Nick had a very good arm. Whether Tampa would have run on him in that situation, and whether he would have made a good throw if they did, is unknowable. I'm satisfied with the outcome.

I totally agree hard to say what might or could have been and very satisfied with the outcome.

I think the neck thing hurt him a bit. But he had a very good arm.

He had a pretty good year with the arm last year. He kept runners from advancing an extra base 50.8% of the time, best of his career. He had 11 assists, tied for 7th in MLB among all outfielders. Fangraphs ranked him 7th in MLB in their advanced "ARM" stat. I'd say a big part of the reason he won a Gold Glove is because of his arm. Making zero errors also helped, obviously.

He had a pretty good year with the arm last year. He kept runners from advancing an extra base 50.8% of the time, best of his career. He had 11 assists, tied for 7th in MLB among all outfielders. Fangraphs ranked him 7th in MLB in their advanced "ARM" stat. I'd say a big part of the reason he won a Gold Glove is because of his arm. Making zero errors also helped, obviously.

I think where he will be missed the most is his ability to play balls off the wall at OPACY. He played that wall like no one else has, and held many guys to singles.

Regardless of if Nick makes the play....I'm sure he is NOT TO THRILLED the Braves showed Sunday they are totally committed to gutting their team. Stupid move. Enjoy the 44M Nick because there won't be much winning in Atlanta.

Archived