Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

I am not questioning Nick's athletic ability or his capability to make diving catches. I do understand that he did that all the time. What I trying to communicate here is what goes through an outfielders head when he is faced with a risky diving attempt to catch the ball. With speedsters on base and the potential risk of injury early in the season I just don't see Nick, (as capable as he is), attempting that risky move. Especially since Nick could have easily fielded the ball on a hop and have a good chance of throwing a baserunner out with his incredible arm. Travis Snider, making a very aggressive and gutsy decision, dove for the ball and that is what I was impressed with. Again I will say I don't think Nick's decision, (given the circumstances), would result in a diving play. I think he would have taken the more conservative approach. This is, of course, my take on the play and all other opinions are graciously welcome. This is what makes this forum so enjoyable.

Well, I do disagree, but we will never know.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While we are on the subject, I'd say Adam Jones has plus arm strength but one of the least accurate arms in all of baseball. He does the least with the most. You have to respect his arm as a runner but he makes a lot of off line throws.

He also makes some bad decisions out there. But overall, he is very effective at deterring runners from testing him.

I know, going off-topic here.

My personal favorite for arm strength, was Joe Orsulak.

22 was in 132 games.

And 10 the year before and 9 the year after.

Didn't know why they thought they could run on him.

Wasn't the smoothest looking OF to play the position, but loved watching him gun down the guys.

22 was in 132 games.

And 10 the year before and 9 the year after.

Didn't know why they thought they could run on him.

Wasn't the smoothest looking OF to play the position, but loved watching him gun down the guys.

Sometimes, the guys with the most assists aren't the guys with the best arms, they're the ones who have arms the runners like to test. In his career, Orsulak prevented the runner from taking an extra base (2 on a single, 3 on a double) only 39.0% of the time. League average during his career was 42.6%. So, runners liked to run on him.

Sometimes, the guys with the most assists aren't the guys with the best arms, they're the ones who have arms the runners like to test. In his career, Orsulak prevented the runner from taking an extra base (2 on a single, 3 on a double) only 39.0% of the time. League average during his career was 42.6%. So, runners liked to run on him.
As I told you, I am a staunch Braves supporter this season. I will root for them against everyone but the Orioles.

Snider also threw out a runner at home And had a nice day at the plate. I think in two or so months we'll all be saying Nick who?

Doubtful. Two months does not erase 10 years. Having said that I hope Snider has a great year, just like I hope Nick does for the Braves.

I didn't like that minor collision out there. As I mentioned this winter, I don't recall a single time in seven years that Adam and Nick had a miscommunication about a ball. I'm sure it must have happened, but it was extremely rare. I think we'll see it occasionally this year, unfortunately.

I didn't like that minor collision out there. As I mentioned this winter, I don't recall a single time in seven years that Adam and Nick had a miscommunication about a ball. I'm sure it must have happened, but it was extremely rare. I think we'll see it occasionally this year, unfortunately.

It was bound to happen. They will get used to each other.

Kirby looked really pissed.

Nick saved his choicest moments for BRob.

Not a big fan of the Markakis mention - who knows how Nick would have done on those plays.

All we know is that Nick's career appeared to be in a decline and he went elsewhere for big $ (though hopefully for Nick, the neck issue hurt his production and perhaps he has some good years left), while our GM traded prospects for a younger, cheaper player who appears, in just two games, to have a strong grasp of his strike zone and will be a plus hitter.

Archived