Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol some of you are funny...and sensitive

To answer Reboulet's question, my fear is that Travis Snider will not be enough of an improvement over Markakis to improve the team. So there you all go, my post is related to the thread. I apologize that I meandered away from the definitive topic by asking if Snider was enough of improvement over Markakis. I thought it was still on topic but apparently it wasn't.

To answer Reboulet's question, my fear is that Travis Snider will not be enough of an improvement over Markakis to improve the team. So there you all go, my post is related to the thread. I apologize that I meandered away from the definitive topic by asking if Snider was enough of improvement over Markakis. I thought it was still on topic but apparently it wasn't.

Why does Snider have to be an improvement over Markakis? If he provides the same output for $10M less, that is a huge win.

Enough of an improvement over Markakis "relative" to what player? The top FA outfielder on the market? That player was never at play anyway. You seem to be saying that Snider isn't enough of an improvement to make us a Championship team. So what? That seems like a silly thing to fear, because that isn't the expectation. The real question is: will Snider give the Orioles excess value on what they gave up in terms of salary and players? If Snider is giving us 10 to 12 million dollars in value this year, that's a home run of a deal. Regardless of whether it's enough to make us WS champions.

The Pirates most certainly gave Snider a chance, and he performed well. I was trying to be kind. You are way off base. Not even close. To now go over the top and pretend that people are saying Snider gives the Orioles a World Championship is simply absurd. You are, indeed, quite wrong. The term "never" is definitive, and unmistakable in its meaning, and was most certainly used incorrectly in your post. It is not a relative term. Of that there is simply no doubt.

lol....want to know why never is a relative term in this context? B/c in 7 seasons he has never gotten enough at-bats to qualify for a batting title. In other words, for most of his career he hasn't been an everyday player in the traditional sense. He has gotten playing time so "never" is literally incorrect, but like I said it's all relative

And no, I never said that anyone was saying that Snider gives the O's a WS championship. I asked if he was enough of an improvement over Markakis to put the team over the top. This is after all a Markakis comparison thread isn't it? So to borrow a quote from you, "You are way off base. Not even close."

Enough of an improvement over Markakis "relative" to what player? The top FA outfielder on the market? That player was never at play anyway. You seem to be saying that Snider isn't enough of an improvement to make us a Championship team. So what? That seems like a silly thing to fear' date=' because that isn't the expectation. The real question is: will Snider give the Orioles excess value on what they gave up in terms of salary and players? If Snider is giving us 10 to 12 million dollars in value this year, that's a home run of a deal. Regardless of whether it's enough to make us WS champions.[/quote']

You're right, his value relative (there's that word again) to Markakis is very good. Whether or not it improves the team is another topic and I'm sorry I brought it up

lol....want to know why never is a relative term in this context? B/c in 7 seasons he has never gotten enough at-bats to qualify for a batting title. In other words, for most of his career he hasn't been an everyday player in the traditional sense. He has gotten playing time so "never" is literally incorrect, but like I said it's all relative

I think it's sort a semantic argument at this point. What constitutes "getting a chance"?

Snider only had 70 starts last year, less than half a season's worth. But he still played a total of 140 games thanks to pinch-hitting appearances. I'd say the Pirates figured out a role that they liked for Snider, and they "gave him a chance" in that respect. But I get your point that the Pirates never really thought of Snider as a starter.

I think it's sort a semantic argument at this point. What constitutes "getting a chance"?

Snider only had 70 starts last year, less than half a season's worth. But he still played a total of 140 games thanks to pinch-hitting appearances. I'd say the Pirates figured out a role that they liked for Snider, and they "gave him a chance" in that respect. But I get your point that the Pirates never really thought of Snider as a starter.

Bottom line, the better you play, the more you play. Snider started only 29 of the Pirates' first 99 games. He started 42 of their final 63. Based on his strong finish (.883 OPS over those final 63 games), the Orioles seem pretty intent on giving Snider a lot of opportunities to start early in 2015. If he performs well, that will continue. If he doesn't, then it won't.

Travis Snider ended the season as the Pirates starting right fielder, starting most of the games after the All-Star break. That is the role that they figured out for him. It also seems clear that he was successful in that role. 2.1 WAR. 118 OPS+.

I was there in Section 12 and had a near perfect view of that play ...that ball was scorched. For anyone who has ever actually played as an outfielder you'd know how easy it is to botch a read on a screamer hit directly at you....especially off a rhh.

To say with certainty that anyone else would have caught it is pure speculation and just plain silly. First of all, if they weren't standing in almost the exact same location they would have had NO chance on that ball.

This will be the last thing I say about the "comparison" because I know many are tiring of it. I just don't get why some people are so hellbent on Monday Morning QBing this situation as often as it's being done.

For a variety of reasons, the O's went in a different direction, plain and simple. Yesterday's botched play withstanding, so far it is working out just fine.

I was there in Section 12 and had a near perfect view of that play ...that ball was scorched. For anyone who has ever actually played as an outfielder you'd know how easy it is to botch a read on a screamer hit directly at you....especially off a rhh.

To say with certainty that anyone else would have caught it is pure speculation and just plain silly. First of all, if they weren't standing in almost the exact same location they would have had NO chance on that ball.

Had he made the same error with no one on base, all everyone would have talked about is how hard it is to judge a line drive hit right at you.

This post caught my attention because I can't believe how many posters think that was either routine or easy. I still can't believe the official scorer gave him an error. Outfielders often misjudge easier balls than that and the ball drops in or over their head and, generally, as long as they don't drop the ball, they aren't given an error. That clearly wasn't a drop. He made a great effort and the ball barely tipped off his glove. One of the toughest errors I've ever seen given out.

I agree, that's a pretty tough error.

I agree, that's a pretty tough error.

Thirded. I missed the game, and reading the comments it sounded like he just muffed an easy flyball or something. Then I went back and watched the replay, and he just misjudged it, and couldn't recover in time. Maybe it wouldn't have happened to Nick, but it's definitely not that bad of an error.

Archived