Buster Olney says O's win 56 games

Rex Thunder

Unless the young pitching and Adam Jones far exceed reasonable expectations, theres very little chance we're better than last year, IMO.

66 wins is a reasonable expectation. 56 wins is a bit low, but not ridiculous.

I think Scott has a larger gain over Payton than Tejada lost due to Hernendez.

I see Jones having a much more productive season over Patterson.

I see Markakis improving...

I see the BP improving dramaticly due to Sherrill and the lack of Sammy horrible managment of the BP

I see a loss in Starting Pitching in Loewen addition and the Subtraction of Bedard. Guts for the whole season helps out. Plus we have a lot more depth than last season.

I see no change in team defense.

I see no Bako on the team...HUGE PLUS

THat to me makes the case we will be better than last season.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Scott has a larger gain over Payton than Tejada lost due to Hernendez.

I see Jones having a much more productive season over Patterson.

I see Markakis improving...

I see the BP improving dramaticly due to Sherrill and the lack of Sammy horrible managment of the BP

I see a loss in Starting Pitching in Loewen addition and the Subtraction of Bedard. Guts for the whole season helps out. Plus we have a lot more depth than last season.

I see no change in team defense.

I see no Bako on the team...HUGE PLUS

THat to me makes the case we will be better than last season.

I agree... although, the defense may be improved, but not by a lot.

People thought the Nats would be the worse team ever last year.

I think we will end up with more wins, with or without BRob, than we did last year.

Only thing that could stop this is a massive amount of trades at the deadline and even then, i am not so sure we will be worse off.

I think Buster's a little high on his estimate. I would say more likely they win 52 games.

And that's only if Luke Scott is playing LF I assume... :rolleyes:

Our bullpen was absolutely dreadful and the pitching staff collapsed and we still managed to win 69 games last season. You really think the loss of Bedard and Tejada is going subtract 17 wins with the addition of Sherrill, Jones and Scott? Oh wait I'm forgetting who I'm talking to here...

Like I said in the other thread about this very topic, predicting 56 W's shows that Buster's not paying much quality-attention.

It's actually quite hard to win that few games. It's not easy to be that bad.

If everybody does just-OK, they'll be about as good as last year.

If most guys do just-OK, and a handful of key guys do better than that, they'll prolly win more.

To win only 56 would require that *lots* of guys do really, really badly.

And that's only if Luke Scott is playing LF I assume... :rolleyes:

Our bullpen was absolutely dreadful and the pitching staff collapsed and we still managed to win 69 games last season. You really think the loss of Bedard and Tejada is going subtract 17 wins with the addition of Sherrill, Jones and Scott? Oh wait I'm forgetting who I'm talking to here...

No, I do not. I think the offense is going to be better than anticipated. I think LH is even going to surprise a lot of experts here. I think Scott will not live up to his projected hyped up numbers but overall I think Tejada will not be missed all that much and his loss is a huge plus defensively.

I do however, think the loss of Bedard is going to kill this pitching staff and I am going on record as stating I think the pitching on this team is going to be horrendous this season from the starters though the bullpen. When you are rebuilding with young, or inexperienced pitching effectively auditioning major league talent while dragging along non-impressive veterans like Traschel and Cabrera this should be expected by most reasonable observers of the game. I don't think Sherrill is going to be an effective closer but we haven't really had one since Randy Myers so that is not a big issue.

The entire pitching staff is probably going to suck wind this year but should eventually improve and there should be at least one or two bright spots. I do have high hopes for Lowen if he can stay healthy. I also was, am, and will always thing the trade of Bedard was a good move no matter what as he was not going to re-sign here anyway and nothing would have been received for him like Mussina and BJ Ryan.

Unless the young pitching and Adam Jones far exceed reasonable expectations, theres very little chance we're better than last year, IMO.

66 wins is a reasonable expectation. 56 wins is a bit low, but not ridiculous.

That's about where I come in too. The wins won't be very important this year anyhow.

Like I said in the other thread about this very topic, predicting 56 W's shows that Buster's not paying much quality-attention.

It's actually quite hard to win that few games. It's not easy to be that bad.

If everybody does just-OK, they'll be about as good as last year.

If most guys do just-OK, and a handful of key guys do better than that, they'll prolly win more.

To win only 56 would require that *lots* of guys do really, really badly.

If the pitching is atrocious, which I think it will be it will not be that difficult to lose 56 or more games. I expect this team to get bludgoned to death in the AL East anyway. I think they could well set a record for most different pitchers used during a season and I expect some more 20-30 run type games. I also expect a lot of long losing streaks as they no longer have Bedard as the stopper. Just keeping it real folks, and hoping I am somehow wrong but I doubt it.

I don't have a problem with 66 as the over/under for wins.

However, 56 wins means we will be the worst team in baseball since the 2004/5 Royals, who were absolutely horrible both offensively and pitching.

Like the saying goes, teams begin with 54 wins and 54 losses before the season starts. Are we really going to go 2-52 in the other third of games?

There is too much potential in the pitching for that to happen, and the offense is too good (even as bad as it might be).

I don't have a problem with 66 as the over/under for wins.

However, 56 wins means we will be the worst team in baseball since the 2004/5 Royals, who were absolutely horrible both offensively and pitching.

Like the saying goes, teams begin with 54 wins and 54 losses before the season starts. Are we really going to go 2-52 in the other third of games?

There is too much potential in the pitching for that to happen, and the offense is too good (even as bad as it might be).

I agree that the pitching has potential but that doesn't win games now. I fully expect a record setting (at least for the Orioles records) year for lousy pitching. It should however get better over time as they weed out the guys who don't belong and get rid of the hangers on (like Traschel and Cabrera). Talent is there it is just not developed yet.

Archived