Buster Olney says O's win 56 games

Rex Thunder

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we won't have 56 games, I think we'll be near 68-72 wins in a race with 3rd place until 2-3 weeks before the season ends with the Blue Jays. But it will be:

1.Boston 98 wins

2.Yankees 90 wins

3.Jays 79 wins

4.O's 72 wins

5.Rays 63 wins

No. There is no way the Orioles are going to win 9 more games then the Rays this year.

I fully expect the Rays to be battling for 3rd or 4th place, with the Orioles battling for 4th or 5th place, with Toronto battling for 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

I don't really know what all the fuss is about. When I said in January that if the O's traded Bedard and Roberts that team would lose 105 (57 wins) the response was "Who cares? We are not focused on 2008, we are focused on 2010-11."

Yes, I know, Roberts is still an Oriole. But for how long?

I like Trembley and Kranitz. I would love to see them succeed. So, I will root for the O's to do the best they can. But if you think that comments like Onley is making are a surprise. Well, they just are not.

I think our low end/worst case is around 63-65 wins.

If someone emerges between DCab or Loewen to pitch as a 2, I would raise that by five wins. If I felt confident that the bp will be slightly better than league average (as opposed to last year's debacle), I raise that another five wins.

I feel pretty snake-bit after the collapses the past few years and will expect the worst and hope for the best.

Ooh...a NY based writer isn't paying attention to the Orioles, and predicts they won't win any games this year. Dog bites man yet again. Yawn.

Out of the 2007 Orioles projected 1-5 starters, was there anyone who made it through the season w/o getting injured? IIRC, there wasn't.

Had Baez and Ray not also gone down with injuries, the bullpen could have been kept in role, and likely not cost the team as many games as it did.

Hell, Trembley and Mazzone were on the verge of pulling guys out of the stands to pitch last season...and given how some of the guys they did send out there performed, that might not have been such a bad idea.

If this team is relatively healthy, it can be competitive this year. It's likely to be (offensively) better at LF, CF and C, while possibly worse at SS and 2B. If a plague of injuries doesn't descend on the pitching staff again, it's likely to be better than last season.

If they get shredded by injury again this year, however, I don't think anybody knows where the bottom is. 56 wins might seem optimistic.

I'm gonna vote for reasonable good health, and 70 wins or thereabouts.

I think there will be at least one and possibly two or more 20 run game blowouts, although I would be stupid to bet on it. I also won't bet on Cabrera getting cut either, because he might get his contract voided or traded. I think this is his last year as an Oriole though and I would be willing to make a friendly wager on that of say a 20 spot if you want to.

You think Cabrera's contract might be voided? What do you mean?

It's pretty easy to see 56 as possible. Bedard is gone and there is no way of knowing if Cabrera or Loewen can find the strike zone.

I'm not certain that Scott/Hernandez is really that much better than Tejada/Payton if at all.

Millar, Mora, Huff and RHernandez are all another year older and could be asked to bat in the neighborhood of 2000 times. After Moore there is no depth to cover an injury to a starter.

Bradford and Walker are 33 and 35.

If the old guys start to really act old, it could be a long season.

It is a rebuilding year but beyond Jones and the last starting pitcher what hot newcomer is on the scene? This is just a slightly warmed-over version of last year's team with many of the key players just another year closer to overcooked. Hard to see them getting much better and just a few strained obliques from a whole lot worse.

It's pretty easy to see 56 as possible. Bedard is gone and there is no way of knowing if Cabrera or Loewen can find the strike zone.

I'm not certain that Scott/Hernandez is really that much better than Tejada/Payton if at all.

Millar, Mora, Huff and RHernandez are all another year older and could be asked to bat in the neighborhood of 2000 times. After Moore there is no depth to cover an injury to a starter.

Bradford and Walker are 33 and 35.

If the old guys start to really act old, it could be a long season.

It is a rebuilding year but beyond Jones and the last starting pitcher what hot newcomer is on the scene? This is just a slightly warmed-over version of last year's team with many of the key players just another year closer to overcooked. Hard to see them getting much better and just a few strained obliques from a whole lot worse.

Finally, I am reading a post that not only makes darn good sense but is truly grounded in reality not unbridled (and totally unfounded) optimism. Kudos to this post! Best I have seen on the entire thread.

No. There is no way the Orioles are going to win 9 more games then the Rays this year.

I fully expect the Rays to be battling for 3rd or 4th place, with the Orioles battling for 4th or 5th place, with Toronto battling for 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

Wow, giving yourself a little wiggle room there are you? lol... basically you're saying you'll be right no matter how they finish- so long as Tampa doesnt come in last again...

I think a lot of bad things would have to happen to only win 56. But with the way last season went, who knows?

If we just stay consistent and don't blow up like the end of last year, I think we should win as many as last season. More if things go right, less if things go wrong.

Unlikely, but as goofy as Cabrera acts who knows? They voided Ponson's and Cabrera reminds me of a walking time bomb or powder keg about to erupt.

I'm pretty sure you can't void a player's contract for acting "goofy." With Ponson, it took two (three?) DUI arrests, a judge-punching incident, and a stint in jail before the O's voided his contract-- and even that was practically an unprecedented move. What has Cabrera ever done that's even remotely similar to this?

Cabrera may have his immature moments on the mound, but off the field, he's never gotten himself into a lick of trouble. He has absolutely nothing in common with Ponson, and it's insulting to Daniel to imply that he does.

Archived