(It's never too soon:) Any problems with Buck's bullpen usage yesterday?

Frobby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After the Davis bobble ... it felt ominous.
I believe that the Yankee runner had that beat out for an infield single, anyway.
I do not think so. But if you are right, then I retract.

Aside from my own memory of the play, the official scorer gave him (Ellsbury) an infield single.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=350413101

If Davis' bobble had caused the runner to be safe, I think that it would have been ruled an error.

More significantly, the Orioles will be 4-4 by the end of tonight's game. :cool:

I was baffled by the move. He wasn't ready when Jones PH, but I assumed he was up for Ellsbury and Gardner. It just made no sense not to use him.

Wouldn't Girardi bring in Headley to PH if Matusz was brought in? To me it isn't about Matusz. Hunter lost to Stephen Drew. I repeat, Steven Drew. Someone batting below .200 for the last 12 calendar months.

Wouldn't Girardi bring in Headley to PH if Matusz was brought in? To me it isn't about Matusz. Hunter lost to Stephen Drew. I repeat, Steven Drew. Someone batting below .200 for the last 12 calendar months.

Even if you think Buck should have put in Matusz, I don't see how you can blame Hunter's absolute disaster inning on Buck. If you're in a major league bullpen, especially as one of the higher leverage guys, you should be able to start a clean inning and get out of it without giving up four runs. He gave up two hits, walked a guy, and then, as Silver points out, gave up a grand slam to Stephen Drew. Maybe Buck failed to give Hunter the best chance to succeed. But there's a difference between succeeding and royally crapping the bed.

I think Roch and his interview with Buck explains Buck's thought process.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter had a decision to make tonight in the top of the seventh inning. Bases loaded, two outs and left-handed hitting Stephen Drew pinch-hitting for injured Brett Gardner.

Left-hander Brian Matusz was ready in the bullpen, but Showalter stayed with right-hander Tommy Hunter, who fell behind 3-1 and surrendered a grand slam that gave the Yankees a 6-4 lead.

Drew was 0-for-5 against Hunter and Matusz in his career. He struck out three times vs. Matusz, who worked two innings yesterday against the Blue Jays.

Showalter figured that Yankees manager Joe Girardi would have made a counter move.

"I'm trying to stay away from Brian," Showalter said following a 6-5 loss. "We've had a couple short starts and we only had three pitchers we were going to use in the bullpen, so it's tough. He's also got another weapon over there in (Chase) Headley, too, so he can do it if he wants to."

I think Roch and his interview with Buck explains Buck's thought process.

I understand Buck's plan on this one but I think he over thought the problem. Hunter was pitching poorly, he needed to come out one way or another.

Would Headley have come in to face Matusz? Maybe...but fine, that's one less option Girardi has the next 2 innings.

Still, Stephen 'worth less then a draft pick' Drew hit a grand slam. It shouldn't have mattered who faced him, this shouldn't have happened.

Hunter is struggling.

I understand Buck's plan on this one but I think he over thought the problem. Hunter was pitching poorly, he needed to come out one way or another.

Would Headley have come in to face Matusz? Maybe...but fine, that's one less option Girardi has the next 2 innings.

Still, Stephen 'worth less then a draft pick' Drew hit a grand slam. It shouldn't have mattered who faced him, this shouldn't have happened.

Hunter is struggling.

I don't think Hunter was struggling that bad his command was off I will say that but if you look at the two hits it was a broken bat looper that fell over short, and a dribble down the line that if it is anyone but Elsbury or Gardner is an easy out.

I am a little worried about his fastball as it seems much flatter and only low to mid 90s but maybe the gun is off as it seems the Yankees guy was on the slow side compared to last year seeing him.

Hunter is struggling.

The ESPN TV announcers were baffled when Hunter was left in to pitch. They assumed Matusz was warming up to face the left-handers.

As for me, I thought Hunter was going to walk in a run and was yelling at the TV for him to have the guts to throw the ball over the plate. Which I guess is what he did. Oh well....

Archived