MLB Breaks Spring Training Attendance Record, Eclipsing 4 Million For First Time

byrdz

I've been going to the Cactus league games with my friend that lives in Phoenix for the past decade and we have noticed a huge influx over the last several years. The ticket prices for certain teams (Cubs and Giants in particular) are just as expensive as a regular seasons games. The new Cubs new stadium in Mesa is quite nice and positioned so you don't get pounded by the sun for three straight hours. Cubs fans come out in droves! I've never seen anything like it. They have Hammel and Arrieta plastered on signs everywhere.

Anyway this is an interesting article on just how popular it's getting and even a blurb on the Orioles.

The Baltimore Orioles set a new per-game attendance mark at Ed Smith Stadium, drawing 7,484 fans per game for 15 home games. The Orioles also tied a franchise record with nine sellouts this spring, including a record of eight consecutive sellouts from March 7th-22nd.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/04/08/mlb-breaks-spring-training-attendance-record-eclipsing-4-million-for-first-time/

Archived