Final Game at Memorial Stadium

Dipper9

I DVR'd this off of the Orioles Classics on MASN over the winter, and I have watched the closing ceremonies twice in the past 2 or 3 months. Last night I pulled it back out, and was again in tears while watching the Orioles greats and remembering WHY I love this team to begin with.

I suggest that you all take a few moments to take a time out from the trade rumors and "10 straight losing season" stuff, find yourself a good piece of your own Orioles history, and take a side trip down memory lane to remember the good times, remember what Orioles Magic is all about!

I was a summertime usher during the last three years at Memorial Stadium, but I came back from college specifically to work there that final weekend. (Upper section 3)

Honestly, it was so surreal and happened so fast that I cannot remember much, but anytime I see the video it's very moving.

Somebody recently gave me a photo they took from their seat that day. No award winning photography, but a cool keepsake nonetheless.

I made my first trip back to the old ballpark since they tore it down over Christmas break. If it wasn't for those white houses that used to distract hitters out beyond centerfield, I wouldn't have been able to figure out where I was. Vanished without a trace.

Man, I loved that place.

I was 16 years old. My parents drove us up on the Friday afternoon. We already had tickets to the game on Friday and Saturday so we picked up a Sun paper and the classifides were full of ads for tickets to the last game. We just picked one of the numbers and got a ticket for $30.

I had a seat on the 3rd base side under the upper deck. The poles didn't obstruct anything important. i remember people in the stands keeping up with the Redskins game since the baseball game was pretty much over from the start.

I also remember the infielders taking infield without a ball. Cal Sr. would swing the fungo and the infielders would pretend to throw it around.

It's still one of the biggest thrills I've had attending a game live.

I DVR'd this off of the Orioles Classics on MASN over the winter, and I have watched the closing ceremonies twice in the past 2 or 3 months. Last night I pulled it back out, and was again in tears while watching the Orioles greats and remembering WHY I love this team to begin with.

I suggest that you all take a few moments to take a time out from the trade rumors and "10 straight losing season" stuff, find yourself a good piece of your own Orioles history, and take a side trip down memory lane to remember the good times, remember what Orioles Magic is all about![/QUote]

I'd just like to preface this post by saying that I was an infant when they played the last game at memorial stadium...

My dad and I were sitting around, right after last season ended, flipping channels. We came across this game on MASN Classics. As we watched all the Oriole greats file out of the dugouts and take their positions. We both shed a few tears. Those players are the Oriole Way. They were the magic. Having never remembered a winning season, I realized that there would be nothing greater than having the magic come back. #1 on my list of things to do before I die is to experience true "Orioles Magic". Someday, maybe I'll get that chance.

I still have 2 plastic cups from the last series at Memorial stadium. I believe I was at the 2nd to last game but not that last...

I was at that game too. The last win. And IIRC, Chito Martinez hit the last home run. And we have at least half a dozen of those plastic cups. My dad even saved a bag of peanuts that he got from the same street vendor we always went to, right next to where we parked back in the neighborhood.

I remember the lump in my throat when Brooks ran out to 3B. No announcement or anything, nothing on the scoreboard. Just Brooks at third. Everything was perfect at that moment.

I also think about seeing the pockets of people around the ballpark who just didn't want to leave. The ceremonies were done, nothing really left to see, the sun was setting and the temps were dropping. But there they were. Two people here, four people there. Some people just sitting by themselves.

My Mom and brothers were pretty much silent, but they just didn't want to -- or couldn't -- get up from their seats. I have a picture of them sitting there, eyes red with tears, still bundled up from the weather. I didn't think too much about the snapshot at the time, but it's one of my favorite family photos.

It makes me realize, maybe even justifies, why this stupid baseball team means so much to me.

I've written a letter to almost every living Oriole that played at Memorial Stadium, and I always make a point to ask them their best or worst memory of the old ballpark.

While only a fraction of them bother to answer the question, I find it very interesting how many players from the 1991 team mention those last game ceremonies as their most memorable 33rd St moment.

I've written a letter to almost every living Oriole that played at Memorial Stadium, and I always make a point to ask them their best or worst memory of the old ballpark.

While only a fraction of them bother to answer the question, I find it very interesting how many players from the 1991 team mention those last game ceremonies as their most memorable 33rd St moment.

Wow! that very cool:)

I was at that game too!

• 7 years later...

I keep the video on my notebook; it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. So very sad that, in the 24 years since that game, a number of those guys have passed away (McNally, Belanger, Flanny, etc.).

I'm wondering... my copy comes from an ancient VHS. Would it be possible to get a copy of the video from you. I contacted MASN and they said no way they'll sell me a copy. And unfortunately, since I no longer live in the MASN region, I can't find it. Help me, Obi-Wan... you're my only hope!

Archived